APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.06.03 - New York Magazine - Axl Rose Sings Tunes by Teleprompter

Go down

1991.06.03 - New York Magazine - Axl Rose Sings Tunes by Teleprompter Empty 1991.06.03 - New York Magazine - Axl Rose Sings Tunes by Teleprompter

Post by Blackstar Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:06 pm

1991.06.03 - New York Magazine - Axl Rose Sings Tunes by Teleprompter HCEOc3LK_o
---------------------
TRANSCRIPTION:
---------------------

AXL ROSE SINGS TUNES BY TELEPROMPTER

Controversial rocker Axl Rose is running into trouble with his lyrics again, but this time, it’s because he can’t seem to remember them. In 1988, the singer’s group, Guns N’ Roses, caused a stir with a song that contained sexual and racial slurs. At a concert last month, Rose got some snickers from the audience when he was seen reading lyrics off a TelePrompTer.

“It was hilarious,” says one person at the event. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“I don’t know why everyone’s jumping on him for that,” says a spokeswoman for Geffen Records, the band’s label. “As long as I’ve been in the music business, musicians have been writing their lyrics in big block letters on pieces of paper on the stage or on their arms or anywhere they can find. The only thing different about this is that they were using modem electronic equipment.”
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87993

Back to top Go down

1991.06.03 - New York Magazine - Axl Rose Sings Tunes by Teleprompter Empty Re: 1991.06.03 - New York Magazine - Axl Rose Sings Tunes by Teleprompter

Post by Blackstar Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 pm

An article about the use of Teleprompters in general at the time. Entertainment Weekly, November 6, 1992:
Concert teleprompters

DAVID BROWNE

Backstage at the mammoth Oct. 16 Bob Dylan tribute concert, Kris Kristofferson didn’t know until 5 p.m. how his introductory speech for Dylan’s ”I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight” would go. And what if he couldn’t remember all the lyrics? No problem. Like others on the bill, Kristofferson merely had to glance at one of the handy TelePrompTer screens in front of the stage, which scrolled out song lyrics (and the hosts’ introductions) all evening long.

Is the use of a TelePrompTer — long in the domain of political debates and awards shows — yet another reminder that classic-rock legends are growing long in the tooth and possibly forgetful? Not according to Wendy Laister, a spokeswoman for the Dylan concert. ”Some of the artists never sang these songs before, and the last thing you want is someone forgetting the words on live television,” she says. ”And these songs are very complicated; they’re not like ‘Love, love me do’ or something. It’s like learning poetry. So the TelePrompTer was a fail-safe.”

Laister contends it’s ”fairly normal” to see TelePrompTers in concert. That’s not exactly correct, but the trend is growing. The 76-year-old Frank Sinatra uses one to make sure he introduces the correct writers and arrangers of each song, and without a TelePrompTer Linda Ronstadt might have trouble remembering the Spanish lyrics during her Mexican folk-song tours. Even a relative youngster like Axl Rose feels the need for help during Guns N’ Roses shows. ”He doesn’t want to have to remember where he is in the lyrics,” says his publicist, Bryn Bridenthal. ”He just wants to concentrate on relating to the audience.”

Rose supposedly was tipped off to the use of on-stage TelePrompTers by Mick Jagger. The megascreen 1991 Rolling Stones at the Max movie showed a small monitor in front of Jagger’s feet that transmitted introductions like ”And here’s Keith” — just in case Mick forgot the name of his band mate of 30 years.
https://ew.com/article/1992/11/06/concert-teleprompters/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87993

Back to top Go down