APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source)

2 posters

Go down

Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source) Empty Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source)

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:54 pm

This thread is related to the "Lost Articles" one:
https://www.a-4-d.com/t3189-the-lost-articles

There are many quotes found in articles, books, websites and forums, with no reference to the original article/interview they are taken from, and they're not in one of the so far known articles that we have in our database.

We'll be collecting such "orphan" quotes here, in hope that we'll locate the original source.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87861

Back to top Go down

Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source) Empty Re: Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source)

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Soulmonster wrote:

Here's an unidentified quote:

Duff: We've got a young stud for a bus driver, and it turns out he used them all the time!" - Duff McKagan on condoms.

It is from Blast! May 28, 1988. The magazine is full of such quotes with no sources.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source) Empty Re: Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source)

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Another:

Axl on the Castle Donington Festival: "Except for the floods, mud, storms and two deaths, this was really a very nice gig for us. We really rocked!"

From Blast! April 1989.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 pm

Soulmonster wrote:And yet another one, from the same magazine as above:

Axl: "People have an awful lot of misconceptions about Guns N' Roses. What's more, they're right!"
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:46 am

Here are a couple more I found in Blast! April 1989 and which I ma sure are lifted from somewhere else.

Unidentified quotes (Unknown original source) U3UA4ALGS1WYRigCsRCw+20181117_104140
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76732

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:36 pm

This is a relatively well known quote, found in books and online, about an incident at Tower Records in London when the band got there for the Marquee shows in June 1987, but I don't know the original source of it:

Axl: “The cops are kind of different here. When they turned up at Tower, Alan told them, ‘Take your hands off me.’ And they did! Now, back in L.A., the cops won’t take shit like that from anyone. They’d bend you over the front of the cruiser and put a gun in your ear.”
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:18 pm

An Axl quote about an incident that happened before the band went to England in June 1987. The incident was reported sensationally in this article:
https://www.a-4-d.com/t3123-1987-06-08-the-star-uk-more-beastly-than-the-beasties

The Axl quote has been found, paraphrased, in various articles and books:

“It happened real quickly. I got hit in the head by a cop and I guess I just blacked out. Two days later I woke up in hospital...” [Mick Wall, Guns N’ Roses: The Most Dangerous Band in the World, Sidwick & Jackson, UK, 1991, 1993]

"I was dead for a minute. The cops hit me so hard that I blacked out. I woke up in the hospital two days later tied to a bed and with electrodes all over me." [Paul Elliot, The Scum Also Rises, Q 2003, Revolver 2004]

“I got hit on the head by a cop and I guess I just blacked out. Two days later I woke up in hospital with electrodes over me.”
https://www.a-4-d.com/t2989-2017-05-08-what-the-unstoppable-rise-of-guns-n-roses-looked-like-from-the-inside

“I got hit on the head by a cop, and I guess I just blacked out. Two days later I woke up, tied to the bed with wires running into me.” [Stephen Davis, Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N’ Roses, Penguin Group, 2008]
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 pm

A quote about an incident involving Izzy that happened at the show in Baltimore on Oct. 18, 1987, found in Stephen Davis' book:

Axl: “Izzy—he’s not usually the one to cause any trouble at all, but he got totally annihilated at this place called Hammerjacks—the most fucked place I’ve ever played. First, they got about thirty [uniformed] security guys that look like West Hollywood sheriffs. And Izzy got in arguments with them early in the day about some bullshit they were giving our crew, who were just trying to do their jobs. So Izzy got drunk, and was really hating this club. Then, right before we played, and there are more hassles, and Izzy’s fucking sick of everything, he walked into the club manager’s office and just whipped it out and pissed all over the guy’s desk—with the guy sitting there! It just blew their minds. Then we go on, and Izzy is so drunk we had to turn his guitar down, and when he realized what was going on, he unstrapped the guitar and threw it into the crowd.”

The incident is also mentioned in a Slash interview with The Baltimore Sun in 1995 (I haven't uploaded it yet).

Last edited by Blackstar on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Another quote from the same book as above, about an incident with West Arkeen when the band played in NY in October 1987:

Axl: “So West went down and yelled at the guy, and the guy jumped over the counter and hit him. Then two other guys jumped West and worked him over. So he came upstairs and got me, and I went down and was confronted by two big guys holding blackjacks. So I grabbed this big metal sign and we had a little showdown.”

------------------

We have almost all the early articles cited by Stephen Davis at the end of his book. I also have most of the other books he cites and I haven't seen the two last quotes in any of them. One of the few listed articles that we don't have is in Music Connection December 1, 1987, so maybe this is where Davis got the quotes from?
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down