APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2017.08.13 - Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey, PA, USA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2017.08.13 - Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey, PA, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:07 pm

August 13, 2017
Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey, PA, USA
Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Chinese Democracy
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. Double Talkin' Jive
06. Better
07. Estranged
08. Live and Let Die
09. Rocket Queen
10. You Could Be Mine
11. Attitude (w/ You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory intro)
12. This I Love
13. Civil War
14. Yesterdays
15. Coma
Godfather theme (Slash's solo)
16. Sweet Child O' Mine
17. Used To Love Her
18. My Michelle
Wish You Were Here jam
19. November Rain
20. Black Hole Sun
21. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
22. Nightrain
ENCORE:
23. Patience
24. Whole Lotta Rosie
25. Don't Cry
26. The Seeker
27. Paradise City

Date:
August 13, 2017.

Venue:
Hersheypark Stadium.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Slash: Lead and rhythm guitar, and backing vocals
Richard Fortus: Rhythm and lead guitar, and backing vocals
Duff Mckagan: Bass and backing vocals
Dizzy Reed: Piano and backing vocals
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Melissa Reese: Keyboard and backing vocals

Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 50130

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017.08.13 - Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey, PA, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Guns N Roses, Live play to huge crowd in Hershey

Live opened with a 45-minute set that included a tribute to Chris Cornell with "Audioslave." "We're from York, Pennsylvania, right down the highway," said Live's lead singer Ed Kowalczyk, newly reunited with the band.

Guns N Roses took the stage at 7:23 and played for more than two hours to a crowd that nearly filled Hersheypark Stadium. The lineup for their "Not in This Lifetime" tour included Rose (vocals, piano), Duff McKagan (bass), Slash (lead guitar), Dizzy Reed (keyboard), Richard Fortus (rhythm guitar), Frank Ferrer (drums), and Melissa Reese (keyboard).
Source: http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/08/guns_n_roses_live_play_to_huge.html
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Re: 2017.08.13 - Hersheypark Stadium, Hershey, PA, USA

Post by Soulmonster on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 pm

7 reasons Guns N Roses' Hershey show was better than I expected

than I expected
Posted August 14, 2017 at 09:22 AM | Updated August 15, 2017 at 06:20 AM
2.4k shares
26 Comment

In some ways, it's like I trained my whole life to cover Guns N Roses at Hershey. I was 8 when "Appetite" came out and in middle school during "Use Your Illusion I and II." My house was full of metal.

But I wasn't sure this show was going to be that good. How can you beat late-80s GNR, even if you're still GNR? And how do you do it without Izzy Stradlin?

The show was better than I expected (and I also apparently remember a lot more lyrics than I thought, since my voice is now shot from singing/screaming along). Here's why.

1. The crowd was fully into it

Never underestimate the crowd Guns N Roses can draw, 30 years after "Appetite for Destruction." Traffic was insane, and the parking lots were so full that I parked over by lightpole 117 at the Giant Center -- that's in the hinterlands of Giant parking, let alone Hersheypark Stadium. By 5:30, Hershey Entertainment wasn't even charging for parking anymore. Cars were just being waved through.

Since it was York's own Live's first show at the stadium since reuniting, I wondered if that would draw a lot of fans. But the crowd was solidly GNR, with a flood of "Appetite" shirts,. including one from the '88 tour. There was also a surprising number of Motorhead shirts (including on GNR's Duff McKagan).

The packed stadium was bouncing, throwing devil horns and shimmying through the entire 3-hour set. A woman in the row behind me was calling out songs from their first notes, high-fiving me for "Civil War,

2. It was a night of tributes

Live tucked "Audioslave" into its set, with lead singer Ed Kowalczyk giving a shout out to "songs given to us by Chris Cornell," who died of suicide earlier this year. GNR's Duff McKagan has a Prince symbol on his bass and was wearing a Motorhead shirt (a tribute to Lemmy, perhaps). And in another nod to Cornell, GNR covered Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" with Axl nailing Cornell's part like his life depended on it.

Rock has lost some great frontmen who shared time and space with Live and Guns N Roses, from Slash's bandmate Scott Weiland (Velvet Revolver) to Cornell to Linkin Park's Chester Bennington, who died just a week before the band was to play Hershey in July (and with whom Slash has also performed).

3. Axl's pipes

I don't know what I was expecting. I've seen a lot of really bad videos of Axl Rose performances since "Use Your Illusion II," after which I pretty much dropped out of GNR. And while Axl every so often softened the falsetto to something reminiscent of Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire," he let it rip on the songs where it really mattered, like in "Sweet Child," stretching the upper ranges and letting loose his signature style.

than I expected
2.4k shares
26 Comment

In some ways, it's like I trained my whole life to cover Guns N Roses at Hershey. I was 8 when "Appetite" came out and in middle school during "Use Your Illusion I and II." My house was full of metal.

But I wasn't sure this show was going to be that good. How can you beat late-80s GNR, even if you're still GNR? And how do you do it without Izzy Stradlin?

The show was better than I expected (and I also apparently remember a lot more lyrics than I thought, since my voice is now shot from singing/screaming along). Here's why.
Compiled by Stephanie Sadowski | ssadowski@pennlive.com
Guns N' Roses at Hersheypark Stadium

Vicki Vellios Briner | Special to PennLive

Never underestimate the crowd Guns N Roses can draw, 30 years after "Appetite for Destruction." Traffic was insane, and the parking lots were so full that I parked over by lightpole 117 at the Giant Center -- that's in the hinterlands of Giant parking, let alone Hersheypark Stadium. By 5:30, Hershey Entertainment wasn't even charging for parking anymore. Cars were just being waved through.

Since it was York's own Live's first show at the stadium since reuniting, I wondered if that would draw a lot of fans. But the crowd was solidly GNR, with a flood of "Appetite" shirts,. including one from the '88 tour. There was also a surprising number of Motorhead shirts (including on GNR's Duff McKagan).

The packed stadium was bouncing, throwing devil horns and shimmying through the entire 3-hour set. A woman in the row behind me was calling out songs from their first notes, high-fiving me for "Civil War,

Live tucked "Audioslave" into its set, with lead singer Ed Kowalczyk giving a shout out to "songs given to us by Chris Cornell," who died of suicide earlier this year. GNR's Duff McKagan has a Prince symbol on his bass and was wearing a Motorhead shirt (a tribute to Lemmy, perhaps). And in another nod to Cornell, GNR covered Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" with Axl nailing Cornell's part like his life depended on it.

Rock has lost some great frontmen who shared time and space with Live and Guns N Roses, from Slash's bandmate Scott Weiland (Velvet Revolver) to Cornell to Linkin Park's Chester Bennington, who died just a week before the band was to play Hershey in July (and with whom Slash has also performed).

11 rock frontmen we miss

3. Axl's pipes

I don't know what I was expecting. I've seen a lot of really bad videos of Axl Rose performances since "Use Your Illusion II," after which I pretty much dropped out of GNR. And while Axl every so often softened the falsetto to something reminiscent of Robin Williams in "Mrs. Doubtfire," he let it rip on the songs where it really mattered, like in "Sweet Child," stretching the upper ranges and letting loose his signature style.

4. Slash's shredding hasn't changed -- unless it's gotten better

Slash had, at my count, at least 6 guitar changes, including a double. Now, I know I missed some. Those are just the ones I wrote down. He's still as metal as ever, wailing on the guitar, jumping off the percussion platform and wearing a shirt whose word choice I can't repeat.

He teased the audience opening "Welcome to the Jungle," letting that opening fly and hang in the air, before twisting it into a riff and then coming back to that note, while Axl screamed "Do you know where you are?? You're in the jungle, Hershey!"

Then there was the Slash solo, which came after band introductions about two hours into the show. Axl pointed to Slash, saying, "And on guitar," only to be interrupted by a roaring crowd at least three times before being able to say "Slash." Slash went on a tight yet meandering solo jam that included a wild interpretation of "Johnny B. Good" and a bit of the "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" before heading straight into "Sweet Child of Mine."

I just kept thinking, "I'm listening to one of the greatest living guitarists."

5. Axl's still a showman

Sure, he doesn't shimmy like he used to. After all, it's been more than 30 years. But he knows it. Axl gave a sly little smile before that part in "Sweet Child" we all know, that smooth, shoulder-moving wiggle from the 80s, then did a little bit of it to crowd applause.

He changed his shirt about 5 times, at least, from a tame Harley-Davison tee to much, much more suggestive ones. "He's the Lady Gaga of hair metal," said my fellow reviewer, and he was right.

He jumped, ran, skipped backward, spun, held the mic stand high, did the little foot shimmy. All the things you remember Axl doing in the beginning, he still does -- just a little differently.
(Duff is also just as metal as always)

Duff McKagan looked so happy to be performing. During "Live and Let Die," after one of the raucous jams, Duff had a smile on his face that said, "Well, that one felt good."

And his cover of the Misfits "Attitude" had the crowd bouncing.

6. They came to play, and proved it

A few friends and I joked about the early show. "It's probably so they can go home and take their meds and anti-aging cream," we said of the 7:30 start.

The real reason? They wanted to play for 3 hours.

I also wondered about punctuality, since it's not something Axl was known for. But they took the stage at 7:21, started playing at 7:23, tearing into "It's So Easy." (And by 7:24, Axl had already thrown the finger once.)

Two hours in and five shirt changes later, Axl was just introducing the band. They lit into some covers and then finished the long, energetic show with an encore that included an instrumental "Melissa" cover, "Nighttrain," "Don't Cry," "The Seeker" and "Paradise City".

than I expected
2.4k shares
26 Comment

Compiled by Stephanie Sadowski | ssadowski@pennlive.com

11 rock frontmen we miss

3. Axl's pipes

4. Slash's shredding hasn't changed -- unless it's gotten better

Slash had, at my count, at least 6 guitar changes, including a double. Now, I know I missed some. Those are just the ones I wrote down. He's still as metal as ever, wailing on the guitar, jumping off the percussion platform and wearing a shirt whose word choice I can't repeat.

He teased the audience opening "Welcome to the Jungle," letting that opening fly and hang in the air, before twisting it into a riff and then coming back to that note, while Axl screamed "Do you know where you are?? You're in the jungle, Hershey!"

Then there was the Slash solo, which came after band introductions about two hours into the show. Axl pointed to Slash, saying, "And on guitar," only to be interrupted by a roaring crowd at least three times before being able to say "Slash." Slash went on a tight yet meandering solo jam that included a wild interpretation of "Johnny B. Good" and a bit of the "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" before heading straight into "Sweet Child of Mine."

I just kept thinking, "I'm listening to one of the greatest living guitarists."

5. Axl's still a showman

Sure, he doesn't shimmy like he used to. After all, it's been more than 30 years. But he knows it. Axl gave a sly little smile before that part in "Sweet Child" we all know, that smooth, shoulder-moving wiggle from the 80s, then did a little bit of it to crowd applause.

He changed his shirt about 5 times, at least, from a tame Harley-Davison tee to much, much more suggestive ones. "He's the Lady Gaga of hair metal," said my fellow reviewer, and he was right.

He jumped, ran, skipped backward, spun, held the mic stand high, did the little foot shimmy. All the things you remember Axl doing in the beginning, he still does -- just a little differently.
(Duff is also just as metal as always)

Duff McKagan looked so happy to be performing. During "Live and Let Die," after one of the raucous jams, Duff had a smile on his face that said, "Well, that one felt good."

And his cover of the Misfits "Attitude" had the crowd bouncing.

6. They came to play, and proved it

A few friends and I joked about the early show. "It's probably so they can go home and take their meds and anti-aging cream," we said of the 7:30 start.

The real reason? They wanted to play for 3 hours.

I also wondered about punctuality, since it's not something Axl was known for. But they took the stage at 7:21, started playing at 7:23, tearing into "It's So Easy." (And by 7:24, Axl had already thrown the finger once.)

Two hours in and five shirt changes later, Axl was just introducing the band. They lit into some covers and then finished the long, energetic show with an encore that included an instrumental "Melissa" cover, "Nighttrain," "Don't Cry," "The Seeker" and "Paradise City".

7. It's great to see Live back together

I saw Live in 2000, and it's long been one of my favorite performances. With Ed Kowalczyk back fronting the band, the energy was still there in their 45-minute opening set.

"We're from *expletive* York, Pennsylvania -- right down the highway," Kowalczyk said to the crowd a handful of songs in. "When you get the call to come open for Guns N Roses, that's a pretty cool day."
Source: http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/08/guns_n_roses_hershey_concert_s.html
Soulmonster
Tour plane captain

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum