APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand

Go down

1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand Empty 1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand

Post by Soulmonster Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:59 am

Date:
February 6, 1993.

Venue:
Mount Smart Stadium.

Setlist:
01. Welcome to the Jungle
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Live and Let Die
04. Attitude
05. Bad Obsession
06. Double Talkin' Jive
07. Civil War
08. Patience
09. November Rain
10. You Could Be Mine
11. Sweet Child O'Mine
12. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
13. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand Rightarrow Next concert: 1993.02.23.
1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand Leftarrow Previous concert: 1993.02.01.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76233

Back to top Go down

1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand Empty Re: 1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:23 am

With rumours of two New Zealand gigs in February 2017 as part of the world Not In This Lifetime tour, this journalist remembers back to the 1993 show in Auckland:

Simon Sweetman wrote:The big news this week – a badly kept secret really – is that Guns n' Roses (featuring three-fifths of the original line-up) will play two New Zealand shows in February 2017.

It will be 24 years – almost to the day – since the band's previous New Zealand show (we're not counting the Axl-only version) and in celebration of this week's news I thought I'd reminisce about that Auckland show in February of 1993.

It was just the third big-name international show I'd seen. I was at high school and growing up in the provinces was lucky to get to one show a year really – it started with Eric Clapton in 1990, and the end of the following year I saw Dire Straits with Hothouse Flowers.

I missed 1992 and 1994 but made up for it '93 by seeing Guns n' Roses and then, just a month or so later, Paul McCartney. And U2's Zoo TV tour at the end of the year. It was the year of big stadium shows.

I was such a huge Guns n' Roses fan at the time of the concert. After school on the Friday my mum drove me over to Napier where I would be hooking a ride with my aunty and uncle.

They had one of those trucks that wasn't quite a twin-cab; a cab-plus, or whatever they were called. Half-sized seats in the back.

I sat with my legs sideways from Napier to Tirau where we picked up a friend of mine who lived in Matamata. It was legs under chins from there to Auckland – and staying with my brother and his friends in the basement of a flat, watching horror films late into the night.

My uncle reckoned he was only there because his wife wanted to go – he talked about how he was going to take his Walkman and listen to his Elton John tape.

When we got into the venue the first thing we saw was a guy dressed like Slash and drinking straight from a bottle. He passed out a few hundred metres from the main entrance. We didn't even know of the film Heavy Metal Parking Lot at this point.

We were in the special sealed-off front section, restricted to the first 10,000 ticket buyers or something. Souvenir tickets and they were filming portions of the show for a music video.

There was a wall blocking off the rich bogans from the poor bogans. We walked along the fence and my uncle taunted those on the other side, a phoney royal wave, and then a flick of the fingers. He was overcome by the spirit and would not be listening to any Elton John.

The opening act was Dead Flowers – I don't remember much about them, they were just finishing when we got there. But we did catch Skid Row. We weren't really fans but it seemed a big deal that an international act was on the bill with another international – I remember thinking 18 and Life was comically bad. But they'd done their job, curtain-raised.

There was a big delay before the main band took the stage and we waited. And waited. And then they started and a few songs later walked off due to some technical difficulty. And it was a pain. But they returned - and when they were on stage they delivered. It was pretty terrific.

Welcome To The Jungle. We felt welcomed. A little snatch of The Stones' Wild Horses, then half the crowd trying to whistle to Patience, Axl sitting down at the grand piano to deliver November Rain; turning up on stage in an All Blacks jersey to sing Civil War – it was really a series of non-sequiturs as songs – but it was glorious. Magical.

Those oily riffs and the big, explosive drumming (particularly on You Could Be Mine and Double Talkin' Jive).

Most of the best songs were played and the huge stage show was impressive.

It was Axl's birthday and the crew arrived on stage with a cake and everyone in the audience sang to him.

And then – after an epic Paradise City – it was over. I have a memory that the hideous My World, the final song from Use Your Illusion II was pumped out over the speakers when the lights when up and the show closed. I remember it being hilariously jarring.

My uncle was, overnight, the world's biggest Guns n' Roses fan. Slash was his favourite guitar hero since Peter Frampton.

And it was a long trip back in the heat to Hawke's Bay in the half-seat of the cab-plus the next day.

But it was worth it.

Good luck to all and any attending 2017's GnR show – I hope it's the reunion you're after, and/or makes up for not seeing them in 1993 or 1988.
Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/83589806/Remembering-Guns-n-Roses-in-1993
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand Empty Re: 1993.02.06 - Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, New Zealand

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

RAW in June 1993 wrote about this show:

"More impressively, [Slash] does his best in front of 45,000 fans the following night to save Guns N’ Roses from absolute disaster. As he stalks the stage in leather, Slash is everything you want in a Rock god.

There’s a great melodic solo on ‘November Rain’, a quick hurst of Hendrix' ‘Voodoo Chile’, the deadly opening bars of 'Bad Obsession’ and a surreal, cosmic duet with Gilby Clarke on ‘Wild Horses’.

Meanwhile, Axl jogs and sings lyrics that most of the crowd can’t hear, Drift looks sick as a dog, and Matt Sorum sends hundreds of fans home early with a drum solo as dull as a month of wet Sundays...
" [Raw, June 23, 1993].
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down