APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA

2 posters

Go down

1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Empty 1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Date:
April 7, 1990.

Venue:
Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome.

Setlist:
01. Civil War
02. Down on the Farm

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Quotes:
We got an offer to play Farm Aid in Indiana on April 7, 1990. That gig got us fired up in the same way that those gigs with the Stones had done for us not too long before. These kind of jump starts would kick the band into gear and get it all flowing again because when the band was working we fired on every cylinder. We put together a few songs just for the show; we worked up a cover of the U.K. Subs' classic "Down on the Farm" and we fine-tuned "Civil War." I was really excited to get out and play together again, but things went south quickly. The second we walked out onstage, Steven took a run up to the drum riser, which is a pretty big platform that's hard to miss, and took flight. I assume he was planning on landing next to his kit, but his depth perception and reflexes were clearly impaired, so he ended up landing about four feet short. I watched it as if it was happening in slow motion...It was more than embarrassing. Steven hobbled through the show, and our performance was dodgy at best, though well received by the farm Aid crowd [Slash's autobiography, p 301-302]
When we had played a couple of songs to a huge crowd at Farm Aid in April, [Steven] was a mess onstage [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 171]
In early 1990 the band agreed to appear at a benefit at the famous Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis called Farm Aid. It was huge, tens of thousands of fans cheering nonstop, with millions more watching on TV. While it was an important event, we didn't even bother to rehearse for it. I flew out there expecting to have a great time, but Duff and Slash continued to distance themselves from me. They seemed locked into their private little clique. Izzy was off on his own, but that was typical.[...]
When we were introduced at the farm Aid concert, I was so excited that I sprinted out to the drums, and as I leaped up, I caught my foot on the flange that ran around the border of the riser. I tripped and fell right on my ass. I might have been a little buzzed, but let me tell you, thereæs nothing like wiping out in front of all those fans to sober your ass right up. I was bummed - "Shit, I'm on live TV." But I quickly scrambled right back up, smiled broadly, and grabbed my sticks, ready to rock. I assumed we'd be playing a couple of our hits, like 'Paradise City' or 'Welcome to the Jungle.' Axl announced, "This is something new we got, called 'Civil War.'"
Huh? Although I knew the song, I didn't know that would be the title. So I looked at Duff and I was like, "Dude. What's goin' on?"
He was kind of being a dick, maybe disgusted with my wipeout on the stage, so I just sat there, and when I heard Slash play the opening riff, I caught on. Although we didn't even have that song completely down and had never rehearsed it with Axl, it played pretty well. I kind of sighed with relief to have gotten over that hurdle, but the damn surprises kept coming.
Next Axl says, "This is by a punk band called the UK Subs. And this song really rocks; it's called ' Down on the Farm.'" I'm like, "What the fuck?" I yell over to Duff, "Dude! How does it go?" He just claps his hands, providing me with the tempo, and then walks away. So I just played the tempo with my bass drum and winged it. I'd never once heard that song before. But I kicked ass, and that made me feel proud, not mad.
Looking back, I realize that this may have been proof positive that their plan to get me out of the band was already in full motion. They weren't cluing me in on new songs or even telling me what we were playing. I believe their strategy was to make my playing sound like shit. I believe they wanted me to fuck up on live TV; that would be their evidence. BY branding me as an inn-prepared, crappy drummer, they'd be armed with a sound reason for kicking me out
[Steve's autobiography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, p. 201-201]
1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Rightarrow Next concert: 1991.01.20.
1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Leftarrow Previous concert: 1989.10.22.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Empty Re: 1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Review from Circus Magazine:

Corey Levitan wrote: It's April 7th, 8:15 PM – THE moment of truth. Guns N' Roses have just been announced at Farm Aid IV. Popcorn flies as concession lines tear asunder, young fans sprinting in all directions back to their seats. Those who make it are about to yell all the caulking out of Indiana's Hoosierdome. They're also about to witness whether Steven Adler is still in Guns N' Roses.

For months those “in the know” leaked that he isn't anymore. One major magazine reported that, due to a recurring fascination with drugs, the drummer was booted, replaced by former Pretender, Martin Chambers; another swore Adam Maples of the Sea Hags would back the Gunners at Farm Aid.

Circus tapped a closer source with a different theory. Behind the scenes in Indianapolis, Adler himself scratched his head and proclaimed, “I've been with this band for the last 12 years and everything has been totally cool. Some misguided people have been saying some wrong things about me that aren't true. I'm in this band!”

As if to thumb his nose at the controversy, Steven trods on stage first. Proudly mounting the drum riser, he loses his footing and trips, but Guns N' Roses will make no other mistake tonight. So magnificent is their performance it relegates all scuttlebutt to a distant back seat.

“I'd like to dedicate this to my Uncle Bob who lives in Illinois on his farm,” says W. Axl Rose, sporting shades, shredded jeans, a leather jacket and two days of facial growth. The singer's reddish mane is capped with a cowboy hat to salute the event. “This is something new we got.” The response? Hysterics.

Izzy Stradlin supplies a gentle guitar into, cueing Axl into a slow snake walk. In his famous low register, Rose bemoans the brutality of war, remembering the “Vietnam lie” and the murder of John F. Kennedy. “Civil War” is the song, a brilliant diatribe paced to start out slow and build gradually, not unlike Lynyrd Skynyrd's “Freebird.”

Slash, his face obscured by ever-advancing black curls, bends a leg and milks a juicy solo from his sunburst Gibson Les Paul, the crowd drinking down every lick. Then Axl's demonic falsetto consumes the arena: “I don't want your civil war,” the irresistible melody reverberates. “It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.” One chorus later, even John Denver fans are singing along.

Next, lest the world think Guns N' Roses have gone soft, the affronts begin. “Learning to be a rocker and growing up in the Midwest can get you a lot of critical abuse,” Axl preludes his second number. “So, for humor's sake, since we don't mind and you can take a joke, this is the only farm song we know.” The Indiana native then slips out of his leather and into “Down On The Farm,” a tractor-bashing punk obscurity from Britains's U.K. Subs.

Slash leads off this time, the words on his T-shirt now legible as “Don't be a lemon, don't be a sucker, use a Jiffi [condom], you can fuck her.” Flanked by giant photographs of sad-faced kids and farm animals, Axl leaps down the three-tiered stage to scream, “I can't fall in love with a wheatfield, I can't fall in love with a barn, when everything smells of horseshit down here on the farm!”

It's dangerous farce, yet it's well received by rock fans, most of whom sat sequestered in the Hoosierdome – which allowed no one to re-enter – for nine hours just to arrive at this moment.

Twelve minutes after it began, that moment is history. Steven hurls his sticks into the photo pit as Axl shouts, “Good-fucking night!” slamming his mic stand to the floor. Two giant screens bookending the stage go blank, signaling that somebody's interrupted the live transmission. (No doubt it was Farm Aid producer Dick Clark, also in charge when Slash uttered obscenities on the American Music Awards.)

Off-camera, Axl exits the stage left. Winded from strutting the stage, he collapses onto a trunk and sucks oxygen for at least fifteen minutes. Then he lights a cigarette and walks away. The rest of the band beat a grander retreat. Parting a sea of backstage onlookers, they create an escape route directly from the stage to their tour bus. “It's like Guns N' Moses,” someone jokes. “No pictures, no interviews,” a tried guard warns the 25 paparazzi he's holding at bay. Slash's spangled top hat bobs up and down at the core of an onrushing entourage, and the band is gone.

“It was definitely too short,” said 19-year-old Amy from Clinton, Indiana, who came to hear “Sweet Child O' Mine” and “Patience.” But this was not a rock concert; not even Neil Young or Elton John was allotted more than 10 minutes. This was a telethon shared by 73 rock acts, country musicians and political heavies. Entertaining the assembled audience was a secondary objective; these people came here to direct money and awareness toward a serious problem.

“I think the farm issue should concern everybody,” Tom Keifer told Circus before performing with Joanna Dean. “Most of America is farmland [and] to take care of the land that provides our food is a good cause. That's why I'm here.”

Overcome by high interest rates and farm prices below production costs, family farmers in America are finding themselves without jobs, homes or a way of life. Seven million family farmers worked the land in 1950; now there are two million. During the 14 hours of Farm Aid alone, 100 American farms were lost, most foreclosed to banks who'll sell them to corporate concerns.

Largely due to the drawing power of Guns N' Roses, Farm Aid IV raised $1.3 million to curb this trend. But the battle doesn't end when the houselights come up. Year-round, Farm Aid collects money to fund emergency cash payments, support programs, education and legal assistance for farmers nationwide. If you'd like to help, call 1-800-FARM-AID or send your contributions to Farm Aid, 21 Erie St., Room 20, Cambridge, MA 02139.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Empty Re: 1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:48 pm

Reviews from the Indianapolis Star and Indianapolis News (the excerpts about Guns N' Roses):

Jill Warren wrote:The ever controversial Guns N' Roses started its set on a polite and cautious note. Singer Axl Rose, a Hoosier, dedicated the new Civil War to his Uncle Bob, and later apologized that the only farm song the band knew was the suggestive Down On The Farm. Rose returned to form, however, when he bid fans farewell with "Good f--ing night!"

Mike Redmond wrote:After her [K.T. Oslin] came the act that, after Elton, was on the most minds that day: Guns N' Roses and for a while it looked like they were going to do little more than come out and play well.
But Axl Rose, the little scamp, couldn't let an opportunity like Farm Aid go by without doing something to reinforce the band's increasingly silly image. He managed to insert the Nuclear Weapon of Dirty Words between "Good" and "night" as he left the stage.

Mike Redmond wrote:
1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  D62vYxrJ_o
1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  1eCc0PXM_o
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:42 am

Review found within https://tinyurl.com/yc7gwpkh

"The last time Guns n’ Roses played this area was at Farm Aid IV, a 70-plus band extra­vaganza at the Hoosier Dome in April 1990. They didn’t dis­appoint the rock ’n’ roll crowd that sat patiently through a day of Willie Nelson and softer country acts before the boys hit the stage late that evening.

Serpentine at the micro­phone, lead singer Axl Rose swaggered across the Hoosier Dome stage like a heavy metal Marlboro man, with his bat­tered cowboy hat, worn boots and torn jeans. The GN’R boys stampeded through an elec­trifying two-song set of un­released material.

A trademark parting thank you complete with the f-word probably didn’t stain the ears of the rockers screaming for more, but threatened to crack Grecian Formula’s control of Farm Aid simulcast host Dick Clark’s hair.

So it goes with Guns n’ Roses. Greatness followed by controversy from America’s mainstream."
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am

A review of sorts in Panama City News Herald, April 10, 1990.

1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Panama12
1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Panama13
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:56 am

A compilation album with live performances at Farm Aid through the years was released in 2000, titled Farm Aid: Volume One Live . In a related article in the Indianapolis Star, September 19, 2000, Mike Wanchic, the producer of the album, explains why Guns N' Roses wasn't included:

1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  Show_t10
Other technical problems were proved to be uncorrectable.

One of the most electrifying performances in Farm Aid history, Guns N’ Roses’ 1990 cover of the UK Subs’ Down on the Farm, was lost because of excessive sonic distortion.

“Axl’s vocal wasn’t properly pre-amped,” Wanchic says. “It sounded like someone screaming through a police megaphone. We tried to fix it digitally, but no dice.”

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:39 pm

Review in Kerrang!, May 19, 1990:

1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  1990_054
1990.04.07 - Farm Aid IV, Hoosier Dome, Indianapolis, USA  1990_055

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down