APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2020.05.12 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Alan Niven talks about GN'R opening for the Rolling Stones

Go down

2020.05.12 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Alan Niven talks about GN'R opening for the Rolling Stones Empty 2020.05.12 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Alan Niven talks about GN'R opening for the Rolling Stones

Post by Blackstar Thu May 23, 2024 3:15 am

Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon presents the mighty George Thorogood recorded May 2020). Plus, the RETURN of co-host Alan Niven.
Before the interview, we welcome back noted former Guns N' Roses manager, Alan Niven. He offers up his thoughts on Guns N' Roses, The Rolling Stones and our guest George Thorogood.

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 89910

Back to top Go down

2020.05.12 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Alan Niven talks about GN'R opening for the Rolling Stones Empty Re: 2020.05.12 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Alan Niven talks about GN'R opening for the Rolling Stones

Post by Blackstar Thu May 23, 2024 3:16 am

Excerpts from Ultimate Guitar:

During an appearance on Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon, early Guns N' Roses manager Alan Niven, who managed the band between 1987 and 1991, looked back on GN'R being offered to open for The Rolling Stones on tour back in 1989, and how they ultimately only played at the trek's opening in Los Angeles, CA.

Niven said (transcribed by UG)

"Guns N' Roses were offered the entire [1989's] 'Steel Wheels' tour, but for reasons that you can research - I felt that that would be a disaster and passed on it, but we did end up getting an offer from Mr. Jagger to open in LA at two shows at the Coliseum.

"We ended up selling four shows at the Coliseum and doing that and getting paid a very handsome salary. The best part of it all was how Axl [Rose] arrived for the first show. Because he locked himself in his apartment, and we were half an hour from stage time, and he still hadn't shown up at the gig.

"I talked to Michael, the production manager for The Rolling Stones - he was a really cool and level-headed guy, as you'd expect around that class of band - I said, 'Do you have a friend in the LAPD who will do something without asking questions?'

"He said, 'Yes, and I don't know what you want to ask him, so I'm going to leave the room.' And this guy came in, and I gave him specific instructions.

"I told him where Axl is, gave him the address, and I said, 'You send two uniforms right there in a black and white right now, and if they have to kick the door down and put him in handcuffs...'

"That's what they did. They put him in back in black and white, and they brought him as fast as possible, right now. And that's how Axl arrived to the first show opening for The Rolling Stones: in the back of a police car under the threat of handcuffs."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/manager_recalls_guns_n_roses_rejecting_tour_with_rolling_stones__controversial_way_he_got_axl_rose_to_show_on_time.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 89910

Back to top Go down