APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2020.04.14 - Digital Journal - Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (& related articles)

Go down

2020.04.14 - Digital Journal - Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (& related articles) Empty 2020.04.14 - Digital Journal - Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (& related articles)

Post by Blackstar Wed May 22, 2024 1:21 am

Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Includes interview)

By Markos Papadatos

Sorum had nothing but the kindest words about working with Cherie Currie (Runaways fame) on her forthcoming album, Blvds of Splendor. “I love Cherie,” he said. “We played a show and I told Cherie she had to do a record. It was time to hear Cherie Currie again. I missed her voice and the world needed a great rock album from her. The album has a lot of cool guests on it.”

“We had a really good time,” Sorum admitted. “It was a fun record to make. Cherie can sing anything: she can sing a rock song and then she can jump into ‘The Air That I Breathe.’ We worked on this for six months, it wasn’t easy. We worked hard but it was a labor of love. I am really proud of this album, and I am happy that it is seeing the light of day. It has a fresh sound and it has a good classic sound to it.”

“The fans should check out Blvds of Splendor. I put my heart and soul in this record. We were so passionate with what we were doing. I feel the love in this record, so I hope the fans feel it too. We tracked a lot of the music live, which was recorded as a band and I hope they dig it,” he added.

With the song “Queens of Noise,” Currie and Sorum paid homage to the late but great Runaways drummer Sandy West. “Being a drummer and everything, they are the unsung heroes of the band. Sandy was a really important part of The Runaways, and not a lot of people remember that we lost her,” he said. “We wanted to pay tribute to Sandy and we wanted to play it as close to the original as possible.”

From Blvds of Splendor, he listed Black Magic as his personal favorite track. “When that song came along, it just fell into place. Cherie sang it in the perfect key and it feels modern,” he said.

On being an artist in the digital age, Sorum said, “Now more than ever, things are virtual. It’s fascinating really. You have to learn the new rules: you need to go with the flow, especially with what is going on in the world right now. Thank God for the digital world and virtual expression. I think we are going to learn a lot from this experience. The only thing that will be tough is that there won’t be any live music for a while but we will get back to it.”

Sorum continued, “I always have my vinyl collection. It all depends on what kind of mood I’m in. If I want a quick fix, I listen to digital music, and if I want to relax, I put my vinyl on.”

He also revealed that he has a new company called Experience Vinyl. “We will be releasing a lot of new vinyl. It is worth checking out and we will probably do a vinyl version of Cherie’s new album,” he shared.

On the key to longevity in the music business, Sorum said, “Music is in my blood and I don’t think there will ever be a time when I won’t want to be a musician. My career has advanced that, and it just continues and I end up traveling the world doing different things based on the career that I’ve had. Music will always be a part of my life. I just want to make good music and when the time is right, I am going to do it again, hopefully, this summer.”

For young and aspiring musicians, he recommended that they “work hard.” “I’ve always said ‘to work hard.’ It’s not easy,” he admitted. “Once live music comes back, people need to get out and play as much as possible. Young musicians need to know everything about everything in this business: how to promote yourself and how to do social media. You need to know the whole game.”

“If you really want something in your life, you need to believe it and you need to do it and manifest it. That’s what I did,” he added. “Ever since I was a little kid, I would envision myself on stage performing, and then, I went for it.”

Regarding his songwriting inspirations, he noted that “it all depends on what kind of mood he is in.” “With the digital age, the one thing that I don’t have to worry about these days is being commercial. In the old days, I had to make music for the record company. We needed to have a single and a hit record,” he explained.

In 2012, he was inducted into the coveted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Guns N’ Roses. “It was an interesting time when I got the call,” he said. “Obviously, that band is going to be my legacy. I am very proud of what I did at that particular time with the band, so to get that accolade was the top of the notch,” he added.

“I also won a Grammy for ‘Slither’ with Velvet Revolver, so I earned the top of the heap, and I am very grateful for that because I worked really hard, and it was a good feeling,” he said.

The acclaimed rocker acknowledged that the one thing he would re-do if he were afforded the opportunity, would be his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech. “To be honest with you, when I was up there I didn’t have a speech prepared. Everything was happening so fast so it was really an out-of-body experience. When you are up there, it is just crazy,” he elaborated.

“If I were to do my Rock and Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech over, I would thank my brother for my first drum set, which I forgot, and I would thank my wife, Ace, for just being my best friend,” he said, effusively.

Sorum praised Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge for singing lead vocals during Guns N’ Roses’ induction ceremony. “Myles is a good dude,” he said.

In the future, Sorum shared that he would love to do more work with his band Kings of Chaos. “I love working with those guys. It’s my ultimate supergroup,” he said.

He defined the word success as “doing things and having a vision.” “Success is family, doing things that make you feel good, and being happy,” he said.

https://www.digitaljournal.com/entertainment/matt-sorum-talks-blvds-of-splendor-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/article/570255
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down

2020.04.14 - Digital Journal - Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (& related articles) Empty Re: 2020.04.14 - Digital Journal - Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (& related articles)

Post by Blackstar Wed May 22, 2024 1:21 am

Cherie Currie's "Blvds Of Splendor" album, produced by Matt, and featuring Slash and Duff on a song, was recorded in 2010 and originally supposed to be released in 2011, but was shelved. Blabbermouth, January 20, 2011:

Cherie Curries's New Album To Feature Slash, Duff McKagan, Billy Gorgan

Velvet Revolver/ex-Guns N' Roses drummer Matt Sorum is putting the finishing touches on the new album from Cherie Currie (The Runaways), tentatively due later this year. The CD will feature additional contributions from Nick Maybury (Perry Farrell, Mink) and Grant Fitzpatrick (Mink) and is described by Sorum as "a great representation of Cherie's voice." He revealed to VH1 Radio Networks' Dave Basner, "I told her when I said I'd produce it, 'You have to trust me on this. You need to make a cool, current rock and roll album.' The album is very much a rock album with some depth."

Matt told VH1 Radio Networks he's recruited some of his famous friends to help out on the effort.

"It's sounding great; I'm really excited about that," he said. "Slash played on it, Duff played on it, I got Billy Corgan on a track, The Veronicas are coming in, Juliette Lewis, Courtney Love…"

Sorum performed with Currie when she supported her former The Runaways bandmate Joan Jett and The Blackhearts on August 11, 2010 at the Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa, California as part of this year's Orange County Fair. Joining Sorum in Cherie's backing group were Nick Maybury (Perry Farrell, Mink) and Grant Fitzpatrick (Mink) and Cherie's son, Jake Hayes, on guitar and vocals. [...]

Sorum previously stated about performing The Runaways material with Cherie: "Sandy West's drumming was so cool, especially for her age of 16 at the time 'Live in Tokyo' was recorded. The tones of the guitar were awesome, too — very Queens Of The Stone Age, but done in the mid-'70s, of course."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/cherie-currie-s-new-album-to-feature-slash-duff-mckagan-billy-corgan/
Source of the last quote:
https://mattsorum.com/2010/08/04/cherie-curries-rocks-oc-with-joan-jett/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2020.04.14 - Digital Journal - Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (& related articles) Empty Re: 2020.04.14 - Digital Journal - Matt Sorum talks ‘Blvds of Splendor,’ Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (& related articles)

Post by Blackstar Wed May 22, 2024 1:22 am

Then the album was going to be released in 2016; Blabbermouth, Sept. 13, 2016:

Ex-The Runaways Singer Cherie Currie's Shelved Album Feat. Slash, Matt Sorum, Duff McKagan To See Light Of Day

Runaways icon Cherie Currie says she will this month release an all-star album — shelved for the last five years — featuring Slash, Duff McKagan, Billy Corgan, Juliette Lewis, Brody Dalle and more.

Currie, 56, revealed details of the Blackhearts Records release on the latest episode of the "White Line Fever" podcast, saying: "Matt Sorum was playing with me — of course you know him from Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver and he was just amazing. He and I made a record together with a bunch of cool stars. In fact, [Australian indie-pop duo] the Veronicas, as well, they sang on a few songs. What great gals they are. Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins wrote a duet, and, of course, Slash and Duff were on it as well as Juliette Lewis. That album's coming out of September.

"All these wonderful artists — Brody Dalle as well — really wanted to participate in this record. Little did I know how much The Runaways had influenced so many people. It made me feel so good.

"But that record was shelved for five years.

"They (Blackheart Records) wanted to put it out now. I negotiated with them instead of through my lawyer who I had to let go — two lawyers actually.

"It will be coming out in September. I never thought it would see the light of day."

Currie's first solo album in 35 years, "Reverie", was released last year. The follow-up to the unreleased album produced by Sorum includes four songs co-produced by The Runaways' controversial late svengali Kim Fowley (who spent the last nine days of his life living in Currie's house in 2015) and covers of two Runaways songs — "Is It Day or Night" and "American Nights" — featuring vocals by Cherie's former Runaways bandmate Lita Ford.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/ex-the-runaways-singer-cherie-curries-shelved-album-feat-slash-matt-sorum-duff-mckagan-to-see-light-of-day
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed May 22, 2024 1:23 am

Finally, the album got a limited release in 2019 and a full release in April 2020. Blabbermouth, April 21, 2020:

Watch Slash And Duff McKagan In The Studio With Cherrie Curry: 'Blvds Of Splendor' Behind-The-Scenes Video Part 3

The third in a series of webisodes featuring behind-the-scenes footage from the making of "Blvds Of Splendor", the latest solo project from 1970s icon and ex-THE RUNAWAYS singer Cherie Currie, can be seen below. Due on April 28 as a digital release via Blackheart Records, the LP features guest collaborations with Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins, Slash and Duff McKagan from Guns N' Roses, as well as Juliette Lewis, Brody Dalle, The Veronicas and ex-Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver drummer Matt Sorum, who also produced the set.

Matt says: "Cherie's voice tells it all. She is the real deal. And now, more than ever, that voice tells the story of where's she's been in her life. This record is about who Cherie Currie is now.

"We've waited a long time to hear this icon of rock 'n' roll do what she does best. I'm very proud to be a part of this album by one of the best female singers of all time."

"Blvds Of Splendor" has been a labor of love as Cherie and Matt originally began work on it back in 2010 when Cherie was promoting "The Runaways" movie (currently streaming on Netflix) which stars Dakota Fanning as Cherie and Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett. The tracks languished in the vaults for years while Cherie went back to work on her chainsaw carvings and did other studio work for 2015's "Reverie" release, which features some of the last works of legendary Runaways manager/producer Kim Fowley.

In 2016, Cherie was set to release "Blvds Of Splendor" when she had a near-death accident while chainsaw carving falling over 12 feet to the ground off of a hilltop scaffolding. The accident left Cherie with partial facial paralysis and severe head trauma for over 10 months. After her recovery, she met and went in the studio with Fanny drummer and vocalist Brie Darling and in 2019 they released their critically acclaimed "The Motivator" album via Blue Elan Records. Cherie is back to chainsaw carving again and is ready to finally release "Blvds Of Splendor".

"I've never had so much fun making a record before," she said. "We all looked at each other and went, 'Oh my God, there's magic happening here.'"

"Blvds Of Splendor" was released on 180-gram translucent red vinyl for Record Store Day in 2019 with a limited run of 3000 copies. This will be the first time the album is available worldwide digitally for the fans. The digital release features three bonus tracks (including a remake of The Runaways classic "Queens Of Noise" featuring Brody Dalle, The Veronicas, Juliette Lewis and Matt Sorum paying homage to late Runaways drummer Sandy West) that were not included on the Record Store Day vinyl release. "Queens Of Noise" will be offered as an instant-grat track when you pre-order the album.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/watch-slash-and-duff-mckagan-in-the-studio-with-cherie-currie-blvds-of-splendor-behind-the-scenes-video-part-3
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down