APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2015.05.15 - Artisan News - Duff McKagan Talks Book 'How To Be A Man'

Go down

2015.05.15 - Artisan News - Duff McKagan Talks Book 'How To Be A Man' Empty 2015.05.15 - Artisan News - Duff McKagan Talks Book 'How To Be A Man'

Post by Blackstar Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:31 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87861

Back to top Go down

2015.05.15 - Artisan News - Duff McKagan Talks Book 'How To Be A Man' Empty Re: 2015.05.15 - Artisan News - Duff McKagan Talks Book 'How To Be A Man'

Post by Blackstar Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:34 pm

Excerpts from Blabbermouth:
-------------------------------------

Having just released his much-buzzed-about new book, "How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions)" (Da Capo Press),former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan issued a three-song companion EP, "How To Be A Man". Made available on the same day as the book (May 12),the disc features former Guns N' Roses guitarist Izzy Stradlin, Alice In Chains vocalist/guitarist Jerry Cantrell, Stone Sour drummer Roy Mayorga and drummer Taz Bentley.

The "How To Be A Man" title track, which features Stradlin, Cantrell and Mayorga, can be streamed using the SoundCloud widget below (courtesy of RollingStone.com).

Regarding how the "How To Be A Man" song came about, Duff told Artisan News (see video below): "Somebody mentioned to me, 'You should write a song to coincide with your book.' And I'm, like, 'How do you write a song for a book?' I've never written a theme song for [a James] Bond [movie] or any of that kind of stuff. We [Guns N 'Roses] recorded 'Live And Let Die' back in the day, but that was Paul McCartney who wrote that. So I wrote a really awful song. Like, first, I was, like, [singing] 'How to be a man…' And it was just awful. And I couldn't figure it out. And out of frustration, I hit on this riff that became the main riff for the song, and I just sang along to it: 'What it takes to be a man. How I wish I knew.' And that really sums up the book. And I sent the riff and the chorus that I had to Izzy. And I said, 'Izzy, you got something…? I need something to tie this in.' And he sent it back with a bridge, and he played drums on the demo, and he put a slide lead on it. He goes, 'Let's go and record it.' And we did. We just went down and recorded it. We got Roy, who plays drums for Stone Sour — a good friend of ours. And Jerrry Cantrell came and played lead. It was so natural."

"How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions)" is the follow-up to Duff's critically acclaimed New York Times bestselling memoir, "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)".

Speaking about how the two books are different, Duff told Artisan News: "[Writing 'How To Be A Man' didn't involve] the heaviness of digging deep into my own dark soul and figuring out stuff, mistakes I've made. This is… just more a journey into what is a man. Some of the stuff is things I've pulled from columns, or thoughts I've had discussing columns with my editor at Seattle Weekly. Just a whole list of things we discussed over the years. Yeah, it was a lot lighter [subject matter], for sure."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-on-his-how-to-be-man-collaboration-with-izzy-stradlin-jerry-cantrell-it-was-so-natural
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87861

Back to top Go down