APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2007.10.12 - Nardwuar CITR Radio Show - Nardwuar Vs. Duff McKagan

Go down

2007.10.12 - Nardwuar CITR Radio Show - Nardwuar Vs. Duff McKagan Empty 2007.10.12 - Nardwuar CITR Radio Show - Nardwuar Vs. Duff McKagan

Post by Blackstar Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:56 pm

Source:
https://nardwuar.com/nardwuar-vs-duff-mckagan-2/

Transcript:
--------------

Nardwuar: Who are you?

Duff: I’m Duff McKagan from Velvet Revolver.

Nardwuar: Welcome to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Duff: Thank you very much.

Nardwuar: Now, Duff, here we are surrounded by punk posters. So I thought I would ask you something un-punk right off the bat. How did you end up on Canadian Corey Hart's record?

Duff: I was at a studio in L.A. called Conway. I was out of my mind drunk and I was doing my own recording in the studio next door - that was about 1993, I think -  and his backup singer, this woman I knew, she goes, “Hey Duff, would you come in and sing?” This girl, this woman I really respected. And I went in and there was Corey Hart, and I’m like, “Wow.” Yeah, so I went in and sang, and I remember I was falling down and singing on that thing. You know, really nice guy.

Nardwuar: Duff, here we are again, as I mentioned, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. But I wanted you to give some props, if you could, to the most important band from the northwest, the Fastbacks. What can you say about the Fastbacks?

Duff: What can I say about Seattle’s own Fastbacks?

Nardwuar: Well, if you turn it over?

Duff: Seattle’s own… me?

Nardwuar: Featuring Duff?

Duff: Yeah. Kim, Lulu, Kurt… Okay, so the Fastbacks were a band called Red and Black before they were called the Fastbacks. Kurt played drums and they played a few gigs, but they wanted a drummer and wanted Kurt to go to his rightful place of playing guitar, so they asked me if I played drums. I hadn't played drums in a band previous to this, but I could play drums, sort of, and I think the first song I learned was Baby Blue by Badfinger and then It's Your Birthday, and onward and onward.

Nardwuar: And this is one of the few Fastbacks releases that you appear on, right Duff?

Duff: The only release I appear on, yeah.

Nardwuar: However, the Fastbacks returned some more favors. You joined the band and then they gave a break for Guns N’ Roses. Did Fastbacks provide the first break for Guns N’ Roses? Did the fastbacks let Guns N’ Roses open for them for their very first Guns N’ Roses gig, Duff?

Duff: That is correct. Yes.

Nardwuar: Thank you, Kim Warnick! (laughs)

Duff: And we used their gear and… Yeah, we just booked, like, a punk rock tour at all the punk rock clubs, because it was ‘84 or… 84-ish, ’85, early ’85. So I had all the numbers for the punk rock clubs - punk rock was kind of dead by ’85, but the clubs were kind of around. But anyhow, we only made it to the first gig, which was opening for the Fastbacks.

Nardwuar: In Seattle.

Duff: In Seattle, of course.

Nardwuar: And didn't you also at one time give one of your basses to Kim in the Fastbacks?  Because I remember she told me you gave a bass to her and had a big, like, scratch on it from your belt buckle.

Duff: That sounds about right. I know I gave her a bass, I don't know about the scratch.

Nardwuar: Do you wear lots of belt buckles?

Duff: Not anymore - not like I used to, no. Good question, though. That was a great question.

Nardwuar: Duff of Velvet Revolver, I also want to ask you about your involvement in this band: did you play with this band, the Vains, at all?

Duff: Okay, so chronologically this is before this. And yeah, I was the bass player for the Vains and this is probably… ’79? Yeah, ‘79 and I think I was about 14.

Nardwuar: Are you up here on this record, on that particular record?

Duff: Yeah, man! I’m in here somewhere.

Nardwuar: Where's the Duff pic on the back of the Vains record?

Duff: Well, you set your glass down on top of it.

Nardwuar: Oh, sorry about that (laughs).

Duff: And I’m Nico Teen - that was my name.

Nardwuar: Oh, I did not know that!

Duff: That was my punk rock name.

Nardwuar: And you are the ultimate punk. Okay, we're talking about Seattle, but you as a punk came up with the Fastbacks to play many a gig.

Duff: Yeah.

Nardwuar: And in this particular calendar here, Duff, what can you tell me about this photo right here? A young Duff playing with the Fastbacks.

Duff: Okay. Well, okay, so…

Nardwuar: This is you on drums right, Duff?

Duff: Yeah. I wore these things to cover up my teenage acne that I’d have all around my neck, and so I was probably at-

Nardwuar: Is that the Smiling Buddha?

Duff: Is that the Buddha? Yep, I was probably 14, maybe 15, tops early 15.

Nardwuar: You’re wearing a D.O.A. shirt?

Duff: Of course! D.O.A. was… you got to realize it was like my KISS. They were the best band in the land, you know?

Nardwuar: But Duff, if you look closely, it looks like you're struggling with your influences, because there's an Adam and the Ants homemade graffiti written on your jeans there.

Duff: Well, probably my girlfriend put that on there or something.

Nardwuar: And this was at the Smiling Buddha in Vancouver playing with the Fastbacks, so you were playing drums.

Duff: Yeah. But Adam and the Ants, you got to realize their first record, before the whole new romantic thing hit, was like this really cool odd band, you know? This record came out and I was like, “Wow what the hell is this” and punkers liked it.

Nardwuar: And Duff, we have another poster here from the Fastbacks. Do you remember this gig? Now maybe we should mention the Canadian rockers D.O.A. - you mentioned them before. This particular gig, what is interesting about this poster over here - it's kind of interesting, isn't it?

Duff: I was in two of those bands. Is that what you're talking about?

Nardwuar: Yes, what happened that night? You played in both of those bands?

Duff: Probably not. I probably played in the Fastbacks that night and Silly Killers had another drummer before me - I came in sometime later, I don't know when. But yeah, I’m pretty sure I was in the Fastbacks at that point.

Nardwuar: Duff, one thing I’ve always been interested in knowing is, did you go to school with Sir Mix-a-Lot? Did you attend Roosevelt High School with Sir Mix-a-Lot?

Duff: Yes, I did. Yes.

Nardwuar: What was Sir Mix-a-Lot “Baby Got Back” like in high school?

Duff: You know, the guy was always groovy. He was, like, the coolest kid in school back then. There was, like, a punk rock click, sort of, and there was, like, a rock click and then there was a sort of - it wasn't hip-hop or even rap yet, it was just kind of these cool sort of groovy dudes that Sir Mix-a-Lot hung out with… But he was the coolest guy around.

Nardwuar: But Roosevelt High, did Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue also go there? Like, was it Duff McKagan, Nikki Sixx and Sir Mix-a-Lot at Roosevelt High? What a school!

Duff: Nikki's got me by a few years, but I understood he went there, too, yeah. He's a little older than I am, but… Yeah, a few people went there, that's for sure. It’s something in the water there.

Nardwuar: Now Duff, your brother, does he work for the Muzak Corporation?

Duff: That is correct.

Nardwuar: What is the Muzak Corporation and how has it helped musicians from Seattle - like, you know, Mark Arm of Mudhoney was part of Muzak Corporation. What is the Muzak Corporation?

Duff: It's not elevator music anymore, I know that. It's… I think if you go to a store somewhere and they're playing rock music, or they're playing R&B music, or, you know, stuff you know, that's usually muzak, it just makes a program of all kinds of music. And you know what? Nowadays it gets musicians paid. It's kind of cool.

Nardwuar: Now, growing up in Seattle and stuff, did you get any inkling to invest in Microsoft at all? Now you're into the finance, did you turn down any chances to invest in Microsoft stock or anything like that, or become a computer programmer?

Duff: Uh, no and no.

Nardwuar: Do you remember any of your friends investing in anything Microsoft - any of your friends or former classmates in the Microsoft or in the computer industry? Because, remember, that's the biggest members of the Seattle scene, Microsoft and Nintendo - you know, as opposed to rock scene they're the computers scene.

Duff: Yeah, yeah. Um, no - what was the question? I don't know.

Nardwuar: Investing in stocks, you know… Duff of Velvet Revolver, you are, of course, aware of Hilary Duff, aren't you?

Duff: Of course I am.

Nardwuar: Now, I approached Hilary Duff and I said to her, “Hey Hilary, would you ever consider being in a band with Duff from Velvet Revolver and calling it ‘Double…’”

Duff: Did she know who I was?

Nardwuar: Yes, she did.

Duff: Wow!

Nardwuar: And I said to her, “Would you consider being in a band with Duff from Velvet Revolver and call it ‘Double…’ ‘Double Duff’?”

Duff: Oh oh, I…

Nardwuar: And she said to me, “I’m sure he would be really excited about that.”

Duff: No?! No - really?

Nardwuar: Yeah, like as if she wouldn't believe that you'd be into being in a band with Hilary Duff.

Duff: Oh no, I would, because I have two little girls, you know, and they're way into her.

Nardwuar: So do you want to address the camera at all saying, “Hello Hilary, I’m ready to rock with you?”

Duff: Yeah, yeah, any time Hilary. Are you ready to, you know, throw down a little bit of rock? I’m here.

Nardwuar: Duff, I wanted to ask you about the Velvet Revolver connections to this particular record right here.

Duff: You are good! Okay, so I haven't seen-

Nardwuar: What is this particular record, if you could tell people?  This is the Eastern-

Duff: Eastern Front. It's a compilation punk record, um… yes.

Nardwuar: On this particular-

Duff: Is it 10 Minute Warning or was it The Fartz?

Nardwuar: The Fartz are on here. That was one of your bands, The Fartz. What can we tell people about the Fartz, first? We kind of briefly mentioned The Fartz with Blaine.

Duff: Wow, The Lewd was on here even. The Fartz were this - things started to change into that sort of hardcore thing. You know, back when these gigs, D.O.A. and Fastbacks, hardcore hadn't really come out; it was still just sort of innocent punk rock. About this time, bands started to morph, bands like Battalion Of Saints and Channel 3, and… there's a band called The Fartz with Blaine, who went on to The Accüsed, of course-

Nardwuar: And he who went on to Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver!

Duff: Yeah. And Paul Solger was in The Fartz, who was in a band previous to The Fartz called Solger, who were awesome.

Nardwuar: And this particular record is interesting, because the Eastern Front comp, you're on it with The Fartz, but also on it is Wasted Youth. Now what's the Wasted Youth connection to Velvet Revolver?

Duff: Wow, good! Yeah, Dave Kushner was in Wasted Youth.

Nardwuar: So your future bandmate-

Duff: But he wasn't in Wasted Youth yet.

Nardwuar: But he eventually did join the band (laughs).

Duff: Yeah, you're good, yeah.

Nardwuar: So I mentioned this actually to Queens of the Stone Age, too, because the drummer of Wasted Youth at that time was Joey from Queens of the Stone Age.

Duff: Yeah, Joey and I have a lot of, like, common friends from that time.

Nardwuar: And, believe it or not, this is the first record Josh from Queens of the Stone Age ever bought.

Duff: Wow!

Nardwuar: So it's weird how this kind of set the blueprint for Queens of the Stone Age and, indirectly, Velvet Revolver.

Duff: You got this on cutout.

Nardwuar: Actually, we borrowed it from CITR radio in Vancouver BC, Canada.

Duff: Oh, is that what that means? Like…

Nardwuar: A promo version. Promo version.

Duff: Right. So the kids these days wouldn't know what a cutout is really, right?

Nardwuar: A promo?

Duff: Yeah well, whatever. We used to have what were called cutouts and you could buy them, they were cheap, and I don't know why they would cut them out, but maybe they were all promos and they were selling them cheap at the record store, and they'd have this, I think.

Nardwuar: Just quickly here, Duff, winding up The Fartz (?)

Duff: You don’t think I’m stealing your thunder at all, do you?

Nardwuar: No, we're getting this time to, like, wrap it up - you know, we have to wrap it up here, unfortunately.

Duff: Okay.

Nardwuar: Or maybe we can go a bit longer?

Duff: I don't know.

(Laughter)

Nardwuar: Well actually, I was wondering about the Fartz stuff, this particular about the Fartz, did one of The Fartz become a world-renowned chef? Steve from The Fartz.

Duff: Really?

Nardwuar: Yeah, I heard he's a world-renowned chef.

Duff: It wouldn't surprise me, but I never knew him as a culinary guy back then.

Nardwuar: Do you know any rock and roll chefs? Are there any people you've worked with? Because a lot of rock and rollers, you know, they do the cooking. And who are your favorite rock and roll chefs, do you have any?

Duff: No. I guess Steve, maybe if I taste his food he would be. Blaine was a good cook, actually.

Nardwuar: Duff, I thought it was amazing showing all these punk posters here. Do you remember the big bands like D.O.A. or the Subhumans over there, Duff? Do you remember them?

Duff: Yeah, yeah.

Nardwuar: But you also remember bands like East Van Halen. That's incredible. Like, bands that never recorded you remember, Duff. Your memory is impeccable!

Duff: Well, I just played a bunch of gigs up here and played with East Van Halen and all kinds of different bands up here.

Nardwuar: And winding up here, Duff: I saw some footage of Velvet Revolver in the studio and Scott was wearing a tie.

Duff: Yes.

Nardwuar: Is that one of the first people you've recorded that is wearing a tie while doing vocals?

Duff: Uh, if you put it like that, I guess so. But he looks good in a tie, doesn't he?

Nardwuar: And Duff, thank you very much for your time.

Duff: Alright.

Nardwuar: You have a song called “The Last…”?

Duff: “…Fight”.

Nardwuar: “The Last Fight.” Now speaking of last fights, did you see the youtube battle between Alex a/k/a Axl Rose and Tommy Hilfiger?

Duff: I did not. I haven't seen it.

Nardwuar: Because that's an interesting battle.

Duff: It’s on youtube, huh?

Nardwuar: Yes, it is. It's Tommy Hilfiger - have you bought any Tommy Hilfiger clothes? Because I know you've bought all your bandmates' clothing line.

Duff: Huh? Oh yeah-

Nardwuar: Have you bought any Tommy Hilfiger? Yeah.

Duff: You know a lot of stuff, don't you? No Tommy Hilfiger, no. I guess I haven't bought any Tommy Hilfiger.

Nardwuar: (Laughs) Axl Rose versus Tommy Hilfiger.

Duff: Good times.

Nardwuar: And Velvet Revolver versus Vancouver punk. Anything else last you'd like to say about any of these posters here? You mentioned - the Subhumans we didn't mention, did we?

Duff: Huh? No, no, Subhumans are kind of an unsung group and there was UK Subhumans that kind of stole their whole thunder. But, you know, the ultimate, like, punk rock scene, I think, in the world was here in Vancouver back in ’79, ’80, ’81, and Subhumans, Modernettes who you haven't brought up, why is that?

Nardwuar: Sorry about that (laughs).

Duff: Why haven’t you brought up the Modernettes?

Nardwuar: I guess… well, they have a great song, “Barbara,” that we can cut to. Cut to “Barbara” by the Modernettes. And now we're back, that was a great tune, wasn't it?

Duff: Ha ha.

Nardwuar: I did bring it along in video form (laughs).

Duff: (Laughs) Okay.

Nardwuar: You thought you could trick me there.

Duff: No, I wasn't trying to trick you. But anyhow, Subhumans, Modernettes, Pointed Sticks…

Nardwuar: Young Canadians.

Duff: Young Canadians, of course, “Go to fuckin’ Hawaii.”

Nardwuar: But it all goes back, and we gotta give her props - it goes back to… oh, actually it goes back to Kim Warnick and the Fastbacks.

Duff: Yeah.

Nardwuar: They're the ones that started it all, aren't they? Thank you, Kim Warnick.

Duff: Yeah, of course, man. Kim Warnick is like my… she's my mentor, my rock mentor still to this day.

Nardwuar: Well, thanks much, Duff. Anything else you want to add to the people out there at all?

Duff: Go check out old Vancouver punk rock.

Nardwuar: Well, thanks much, Duff. Keep on rocking in the free world and… (sings) doo-doodle-doo…

Duff: (Sings) …he he. Okay.

Someone: Nardwuar.

Duff: Nice work.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down