APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2006.12.DD - L'Uomo Vogue Italia - Axl Rose

2 posters

Go down

2006.12.DD - L'Uomo Vogue Italia - Axl Rose Empty 2006.12.DD - L'Uomo Vogue Italia - Axl Rose

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:23 am

Source of images (except the one with the text):
https://www.gnrfrance.net/photos-guns-n-roses/galerie-axl-2006_vogue_italia-highres-page-1.htm

Transcript (Italian):

Spoiler:

Translation:
---------------

AXL ROSE
BY SANTE D'ORAZIO

The second life of Guns n' Roses. Axl, the irreverent legend of the grunge-tinged 90's, portrayed through the hyper-realistic lens of Sante D'Orazio. Thirteen years later. After the excesses of sex, drugs & rock 'n' roll. Because, "Strong is not he who never falls, but he who falls and rises again."

Regardless of what it may look like from the outside, I have gone through a lot of shit in my life to become who I am, just like everyone has. These photos, the journey that it took to make them, and the story that put them together are a metaphor for what it takes to still be on your feet, and that goes for me, for you, and for Axl Rose. Last spring I was in New York, minding my own business and, as usual, socializing. I don't know how that happened, but every night I would walk out of a club just as Axl walked in and I'd miss him by a few moments. I started getting invitations to parties and other events where he would be. This went on for a few weeks, but it had been thirteen years since I had heard from him. I didn't know if I felt like seeing him.

Our lives had drifted apart in 1993, in the midst of chaos. Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll had gotten us wasted, and when the smoke wore off, we scattered to different corners. No one dared to step outside their shell anymore in fear of catching a bullet between the eyes. I have two pictures of Axl at home: one is a vaguely festive portrait hanging next to mine, also vaguely festive; in the other he holds a skull between his legs, in a kind of a "memento mori." Then I got a phone call from an old friend who had been with him and had become, back in the day, a kind of surrogate mother, caregiver, and family to him. Beta. Hearing her voice brought a lump to my throat. Same with her. "Please come to the recording studio. Axl wants to see you." I went there with my son, who is twelve years old. In our case it had been thirteen years. "Don't talk," I said. "I don't want to cry in front of all these people."

Next thing I knew, we were in my kitchen and I set about making pasta for everyone. He immediately noticed his picture next to mine. It had been there waiting for him for thirteen years. Beta had confided to me that he also kept the photos I had given him hung in the house. Soul mates, even in our personal stories. Axl had disappeared for all those years, and I had disappeared along with him. Grief, disappointment and inner problems had been persistent. I had found myself in an ocean of shit, feeling lost, not wanting to be found. Until one day, all of a sudden, you wake up and feel like life is coming back, but even that was not easy. No one forced us out, we needed a change, but we couldn't do it on our own. For guys like us, transitions are hard.

Both of us being Aquarians, we decided to burn it all down and start over. And, when the smoke wore off, he was alone, with the gasoline can in his hand and I with the matches. And we changed in the only way we know. The fire started crackling inside again. It was time to return to the muses, who had started calling again. I never forgot the saying, "Strong is not he who never falls, but he who falls and rises again." I asked him what he had done creatively during those years. " About 30 or 40 lawsuits, lawyers and hassles. How could I be thinking about songs! What about you?" I had lost my family and estate in the divorce. I had tried to ease the pain by doubling and tripling the doses of everything I could get my hands on. I had turned away from crowds, love and life. "Did you think I still wanted to photograph women all dolled up!" We had both dropped the curtain on life and decided to survive in the shadows.

Now, as I'm writing, Axl has just wrapped up his tour in Europe. He has finished the much-anticipated album and is about to start the American tour. In the meantime, my first retrospective exhibition will open at the Kunsthaus in Vienna, followed by one at the Haus der Kunst in Munich with three books in progress. To those who doubted us, we would happily respond in unison with a "Fuck you!" Comebacks are always inspiring, and when I was asked to choose a feature story for this magazine, I said, "Axl Rose." Thirteen years had passed without pictures, interviews, articles... I went back to it all, putting my balls on the line along with him and this magazine, which I have deep respect for. I had to succeed, for them and for me. Plus, I found out that I had been the last one to photograph him, thirteen years earlier.

On July 29 I landed early in London, the city Axl had chosen as his base for the European tour. I also arrived early at the hotel, and whose car was in front of mine? That of Axl and his entourage returning home after an after-party night spent on the road. For many people it was breakfast time, for us it was bedtime. I was now in the vortex. Fasten your seat belts, put on your parachutes and helmets if you have them, because there are no rules here, there never were!

The day gave way to the evening and we had to get on a helicopter to reach the concert venue. Still with camera in hand, I watched Axl waiting to hear the muses' call. The venue was packed with kids half our age waiting impatiently. Each night was so great! This is the story of art, be it music, painting or whatever. The story of those who have a chance to be different, to explore the unknown. Human nature generally prefers all that is familiar, what is known. But these are things for mere mortals.  Axl reminded me of Bob Dylan, who had been booed in London when he decided to change direction; and of Johnny Cash, who had been dumped by his label after he had brought it to success. The opportunists, the proponents of the status quo, the detractors of change... Talent is forever, and that trip confirmed it for me. Let's keep in mind that there is no heart in the industry, it's all about the money and no one cares about the victims. So let's do this! One night, Axl brought a ten-year-old boy on stage. He knew all the words to Guns N' Roses songs, unbelievable! Hearing the songs from that era I went back in space and time, and all the years that had gone by were undone. I got another lump in my throat, I admit it, but it was great!

The show came to an end, the hours had flown by, and it was time to go back to London. At breakfast/sleep time the sun was shining. Breakfast for us came at 7 p.m. with Bloody Mary's instead of orange juice. Then a Jack Daniel's to get going and off we went again. After the third day, I realized I needed to sweep away what I had become to get some shots. My trip included seven days of concerts, dinners, and parties. Not bad, right? But not if you are on a mission, and for me that work was important. I had gone down to the front lines. I had to photograph my friend Axl after thirteen years of self-exile, I had to do it, and I had even put money into it. I'm on day eight and I don't have any pictures or interviews. I'm screwed - but I'm having fun! I have to get down to serious work! On the ninth day I have to get it done.

Like the magicians, I had to pull a rabbit out of the hat. But we needed inspiration, both of us. I called a friend, a beautiful six-foot Ukrainian woman, and asked her if she would like to be photographed with Axl. She showed up in high heels, raincoat, tights and bra. I had thought of a series of four to five shots, and it turned out to be a whole album. From what I understand, they're still seeing each other. I'm a great friend, am I not? Everybody's had an opinion about me and Axl, even you. By nature, everybody wants you to fall down when you're at the height of success. By contrast, they are ready to root for you when you come back from the brink. I have my own theory. In my opinion, it's a matter of egocentrism. When you are at the top, they want your downfall because you represent what others are not. But if you come back from the darkness, you represent the hope they have to pull through. Everyone criticizes, but few have the balls to try. Keep that in mind when listening to Axl's new material. By nature, people prefer what they already know, but those who don't move forward are going to miss out. If you keep yourself open, you will be amazed. Change is a good thing. And yes, even Axl has changed. Both in his music and in his clothes. He even put on a suit, and it looked good, too!

I've been in the fashion business far too long and had to buy a couple of suits, but Axl (being as compulsive as he is, like me, after all) has never had one. Then he takes me into a room where the bed has been removed and... what do I see? Not just five or six sets of outfits. There were even full stands, a showroom of clothes he bought on the trip. Giorgio Armani, Dior Homme, Alexander McQueen. A whole showroom! "What are your fans going to think," I asked him. "They can't afford such things!" "You're wrong," he replied. "The leather stuff I used to wear was custom made and much more expensive than Armani and such." I asked him who recommended it, but there was no one there. I immediately went out and got a pair for myself as well. Even for the pictures no one followed us. Axl put on his own clothes, styled himself. As a young man, Axl did his shopping in used clothing stores in South Chicago and Lafayette, Indiana. It was all ghetto stuff. I used to dress like a pimp instead. Then, when I started to throw in some Liberace, they said I looked like a rock star. Thank you very much. I thought about it for a moment and said, "Yes, it's Liberace and you know what? When I die I want you all to come to my funeral dressed as Liberace. And then do the bar tour!" I enjoyed it in life and I want to continue to do so in death. I think Axl is enjoying it too, I certainly am!

Sante D’Orazio

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:52 am; edited 7 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Back to top Go down

2006.12.DD - L'Uomo Vogue Italia - Axl Rose Empty Re: 2006.12.DD - L'Uomo Vogue Italia - Axl Rose

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:27 am

The woman photographed with Axl is Sasha Volkova.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

2006.12.DD - L'Uomo Vogue Italia - Axl Rose Empty Re: 2006.12.DD - L'Uomo Vogue Italia - Axl Rose

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:53 am

Pictures of Axl by and with Sante D'Orazio from 1992 and 1993:

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:49 am; edited 7 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:56 am

With Sante D'Orazio's son, probably early 1995:

This one, taken in Coney Island, NY, seems to be from 1996 or 1997 (so I guess it's not completely accurate that they hadn't seen each other since 1993):

Another picture from 2006:

From Coachella in 2016:

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:05 am

Sante D'Orazio also directed the video for Since I Don't Have You.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:08 am

@Twinaleblood maybe you could proof-read the translation? Smile
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Twinaleblood Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:01 pm

Blackstar wrote:@Twinaleblood maybe you could proof-read the translation? Smile

Absolutely! I'll take a closer look later today.
Twinaleblood
Twinaleblood

Plectra : 1016

Soulmonster and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Twinaleblood Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:29 pm

@Blackstar I just finished reading the two articles side by side. Most of the translation perfectly catches everything, except for three things that are a bit misleading in English compared to the Italian version.

I'm going to list them here, feel free to change them whichever way you feel works better.

1. In the beginning, it says the irreverent legend of Nineties’ grunge. This sounds like Axl is a grunge legend, but that's not what the italian words imply (thank goodness!). What the Italian sentence means is that Axl was a legend of the 90's and 90's were the years of grunge. So I guess the translation is supposed to be something like "the irreverent legend of the grunge-tinged 90's".

2. Second to last paragraph, when he's speaking about introducing Sasha to Axl, the translation says "I'm just a friend...". While the translation is quite literal, the English version is missing what the Italian idiom actually means. It would be something along the lines of "What a great friend I am!". "I'm a great friend, am I not?". He's basically praising himself for having introduced Axl to a girl he kept on dating.

3. Second to last paragraph again. The translation says: "By nature, people prefer what they already know, but those who stay there have lost". This is something more along the lines of "By nature, people prefer what they already know, but those who don't move forward (or "those who stand still") are going to miss out".

I hope this helps. Feel free to count on me for anything italian-related Carefree

Last edited by Twinaleblood on Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twinaleblood
Twinaleblood

Plectra : 1016

Soulmonster, ludurigan and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:40 pm

Twinaleblood wrote: @Blackstar I just finished reading the two articles side by side. Most of the translation perfectly catches everything, except for three things that are a bit misleading in English compared to the Italian version.

I'm going to list them here and you list them here, feel free to change them whichever way you feel works better.

1. In the beginning, it says the irreverent legend of Nineties’ grunge. This sounds like Axl is a grunge legend, but that's not what the italian words imply (thank goodness!). What the Italian sentence means is that Axl was a legend of the 90's and 90's were the years of grunge. So I guess the translation is supposed to be something like "the irreverent legend of the grunge-tinged 90's".

2. Second to last paragraph, when he's speaking about introducing Sasha to Axl, the translation says "I'm just a friend...". While the translation is quite literal, the English version is missing what the Italian idiom actually means. It would be something along the lines of "What a great friend I am!". "I'm a great friend, am I not?". He's basically praising himself for having introduced Axl to a girl he kept on dating.

3. Second to last paragraph again. The translation says: "By nature, people prefer what they already know, but those who stay there have lost". This is something more along the lines of "By nature, people prefer what they already know, but those who don't move forward (or "those who stand still") are going to miss out".

I hope this helps. Feel free to count on me for anything italian-related Carefree
Thank you! Really appreciated. I have corrected the text according to your suggestions.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

ludurigan and Twinaleblood like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down