APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2022.08.22 - Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield - Interview with Matt

Go down

2022.08.22 - Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield - Interview with Matt Empty 2022.08.22 - Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield - Interview with Matt

Post by Blackstar Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:37 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87861

Back to top Go down

2022.08.22 - Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield - Interview with Matt Empty Re: 2022.08.22 - Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield - Interview with Matt

Post by Blackstar Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:41 am

Excerpts from Blabbermouth:
--------------------------------------

Sorum discussed the formation of Velvet and the band's eventual split during an appearance on the latest episode of the "Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield" podcast. He said (as transcribed by Blabbermouth.net): "When we all got back together [after our departures from Guns N' Roses], our big thing was, 'We can't do this if we're gonna be loaded and everyone is fucked up.' So we made a pact: 'Everyone get clean. Let's get cleaned up.' We were in really great shape. I went to the gym. I was ripped. I was the skinniest I've ever been… I was already in my 40s. I'm, like, 'Let's see if we can just look like a great rock and roll band, get our look together here. Get our songs together, number one. Get looking good.' Scott was looking lean and mean. I don't know what he was doing to look like that, but he was great. And he was in good form. He'd cleaned up. We'd worked with him on it — we all did.

"We kind of looked at it like the Aerosmith model," Sorum explained. "'If we're gonna continue to play rock and roll, we can't go out there like 20-year-old kids. We can't be out there every night getting fucked up playing rock [and roll] — we can't. We're older guys. We've gotta get our shit together.' We all got it together, man, and we were on fire. And I remember we were all nervous 'cause it was the first time we'd ever gone out on the road clean like that, sober.

"The first album went triple platinum and we got three Grammy nominations and won a Grammy and got a lot of money," Matt recalled. "And the wheels came off — the wheels came off the machine, the train came off the tracks and bad habits reappeared. I started drinking again, drugging, the whole thing — all of us. And shit got fucked up.

"Typically, people go, 'Well, did you spend a lot of money doing drugs?' I said, 'No. But I made a lot of bad decisions.' [Laughs] I made really a lot of bad decisions. I did stupid shit.

"People give you drugs, man," Sorum added. "C'mon, forget it; you can get drugs. But if I had to do it all over again, I would be, like, "Cmon, you guys, man. We're not gonna get this opportunity again. This is it for us.' And we just — we imploded.

"The second record, I like the second record — I think it's a good record — but it didn't have the angst of the first record. The first record had a youthful thing because we were hungry. We meant it. I think we meant it on the second record musically, but it didn't have that fairy dust of angst. And typically you hear that on a lot of bands' early records, even though we were [all experienced]. Typically the first couple of records are always the best records. Aerosmith 'Toys In The Attic', 'Rocks'."

Weiland was found dead on his band's tour bus in December 2015. The vocalist, who was 48 years old at the time of his death, was on tour with The Wildabouts in Minnesota when he was found unresponsive.

Matt told "Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield" about his former bandmate: "I had my differences with Scott. We fought like brothers. But really what I wanted for Scott was the best for Scott. Scott was so fucking great. You just wanted him to realize how great he really was. You wanted to shake him and go, 'Scott, you're great.' He would put off the air of, like, he was the epitome of a rock star. He'd walk on stage and you'd go, 'There he is. There's the frontman.' They just don't fucking make them like that anymore."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-looks-back-at-the-rise-and-fall-of-velvet-revolver-how-we-imploded
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2022.08.22 - Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield - Interview with Matt Empty Re: 2022.08.22 - Sound, Sobriety And Success With Matt Pinfield - Interview with Matt

Post by Blackstar Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:54 am

The interview was conducted in March.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down