APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2022.05.20 - Stage Right Secrets - Interview with Duff at FX Sex Pistols Premiere

2 posters

Go down

2022.05.20 - Stage Right Secrets - Interview with Duff at FX Sex Pistols Premiere Empty 2022.05.20 - Stage Right Secrets - Interview with Duff at FX Sex Pistols Premiere

Post by Blackstar Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:49 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down

2022.05.20 - Stage Right Secrets - Interview with Duff at FX Sex Pistols Premiere Empty Re: 2022.05.20 - Stage Right Secrets - Interview with Duff at FX Sex Pistols Premiere

Post by Shackler Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:37 am

Excerpt from Loudwire:

Loudwire wrote:
Duff McKagan Says Punk Is Responsible for Guns N' Roses, Metallica + More
May 24, 2022 - Lauryn Schaffner

In a new interview with Stage Right Secrets at the premiere for FX's Sex Pistols show Pistol, McKagan praised the early punk bands of the '70s and explained how they had a profound impact on later groups that emerged in various genres.

"I didn't learn to play their music at all, like 'Bodies' or anything. Later on I learned the songs. But it was just kind of the way that [Steve Jones] attacks the guitar. And I just picked up a guitar and started learning all that," McKagan said. "And I then I figured out Johnny Thunders before that, and that's where he was taking it from. It was like music school. And then Paul Cook is kind of the beginning of modern rock and roll drumming — it all goes back to Paul. I'm a bass player, I'm a rhythm section guy, so Paul is the engine that informed rock and roll, from '77 on."

"I was in the punk scene coming up. It was a time when it was all about individuals and individuality and being a freak or whatever, an outsider, and there was a little scene for you. There was a little gig down the street somewhere or downtown that you could go to and it was all ages," the rocker continued, citing The Clash, The Jam and Ramones as other major pillars of the punk scene.

"The punk scene back then and what The Pistols helped generate was such a truly special thing," the bassist recalled. "There wouldn't be a Guns N' Roses, there wouldn't be Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, you can just keep going on. Foo Fighters — there wouldn't have been any of that without it."

https://loudwire.com/duff-mckagan-punk-responsible-guns-n-roses-metallica/
Shackler
Shackler

Plectra : 2823

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down