APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2014.11.03 - Manchester Evening News - Interview with Slash

Go down

2014.11.03 - Manchester Evening News - Interview with Slash Empty 2014.11.03 - Manchester Evening News - Interview with Slash

Post by Blackstar Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:04 pm

Slash: 'Rock and roll has become the music industry’s bothersome step child'

We chatted to the former Guns N' Roses guitarist about his new album and tour, what he thinks of rock bands today and what's next for Velvet Revolver...

By Emma Flanagan

British-born rocker Slash is back with a new solo album and he is bringing his tour to Manchester.

The M.E.N had a chat with arguably the most recognisable guitarist alive today, about his album, tour, why he hates music videos, new rock and roll bands and what is happening with Velvet Revolver.

Slash’s third solo album is the second he has made with Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators after he had different vocalists for each song on his first album.

The former Guns N’ Roses guitarist said: “It was a really natural decision to do another album with the band. Well Myles sang on my first record and then I needed a band to tour with and they are just so laid back, they are really good guys to play with.

“This is the first record I have done ever where I am actually listening to it in my car. You know usually you’re too lazy to change the album in your car, unless you get really bored of it but if it’s good you just keep playing it?

“I started listening to this album to get the songs back in my head before we start rehearsals and I just have not taken it out. But I don’t usually listen to my own records in the car!”

With 17 tracks and more than 70 minutes long it is much longer than most rock albums out at the moment, but according to Slash that was a conscious decision and means there will be no deluxe version to buy in six months time.

“You know in the past we have always had more than 13 songs on each of the albums and we’ve left some off and put them out later on deluxe editions. But it’s tough deciding which tracks to cut, and then when you release them people think they are a B-side. You feel like you’re undermining the songs and usually you release different deluxe albums in different countries and people are like ‘Well why didn’t we get that song’ so this time we just thought **** it. Let’s just put them all on.”

Slash, featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators, will be playing the Manchester Arena later this month as part of the European leg of his tour. It is one of five UK dates.

The London-born guitarist who was raised in Stoke, and who moved to the US when he was five, said: “I love playing in the UK. I can’t describe it there is just something about it. I think it’s because the crowds know you, you can’t bull**** them. I am so excited for coming back and playing here.

“The tracks I am looking forward to playing on the new album, well the whole record, but some I’m looking forward to are ‘Wicked Stone’ ‘Stone Blind’ ‘World On Fire’ ‘Automatic Overdrive’ there’s probably about 11 I am really looking forward to but that will change.

“We always do different sets and change it around. Since the beginning every band I have ever been in we’ve done that. I mean you might have a really good set and play it for a couple of nights but when you’re playing it the third or fourth night it gets changed.

“It keeps it very organic and stops it becoming too choreographed.

"What can people expect from this tour? It’s a hard question to answer on any tour. But if someone has no idea what we do and is thinking of coming along, it’s going to be very up-tempo and some ****ing really great music.”

As we had the chance we decided to ask Slash if he thought rock and roll bands had become tamer since he first started out, in 1981 with his first band Tidus Sloan and 1985 with Guns N’ Roses.

“I do think rock and roll bands have become really conformist, and they are worried abut ****ing off their record companies and being played on the radio.

“Rock and roll definitely needs a movement. It’s become kind of the music industry’s bothersome step child and what it needs is someone really committed to come and shake things up who doesn’t give a **** if they make it.

“You know I never got into music for all of this. I just learnt guitar and started a band. I think if you are planning for the fame and fortune, if it’s pre-meditated you lose your musical integrity. You need to learn your instrument really well and write your music to get that chemistry.”

Slash and the band’s first single, which is also the title track of the album, ‘World On Fire’, has caused a stir on music blogs with the band choosing to do a lyric video rather than the usual music video.

When asked why they made that decision Slash laughed: “That came about because I did not want to make a video.

“I never really liked the whole video thing anyway. When MTV first started I was excited because I thought it was going to be a great channel for artists and bands to play music but actually people just make the same videos. I did like Little John’s video recently I though that was really cool and original.

“We are doing one video with this album and it is for our song about elephant poaching, and it has this really incredible lyric from the point of view of the elephant. We’ve partnered up with this charity IFAW which is an organisation which helps different endangered species. But we’re not in that video either, but hopefully it will help raise some awareness.”

And of course before we let Slash go we had to ask him what was happening with Velvet Revolver, who are on hiatus and have been auditioning singers since 2010.

“We have been auditioning people but we haven’t found anybody yet, so there is nothing to say. When there is something to talk about then we will, but at the moment there isn’t.”

Slash, featuring Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators are playing the Manchester Arena on November 28.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/slash-rock-roll-become-music-8043258
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down