APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2012.05.10 - MLive.com - Q&A with Slash: Talks Rock Hall Induction, New Solo Album

Go down

2012.05.10 - MLive.com - Q&A with Slash: Talks Rock Hall Induction, New Solo Album  Empty 2012.05.10 - MLive.com - Q&A with Slash: Talks Rock Hall Induction, New Solo Album

Post by Blackstar Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:52 pm

Q&A with Slash: Former Guns 'n' Roses guitarist talks Rock Hall induction, new solo album

By John Serba

Interviewing one of the most recognizable rock stars of the last quarter-century should be intimidating.

But talking to Slash is remarkably effortless. It's easy to forget that beneath the iconic sunglasses, top hat and mass of black curls, and behind the signature Les Paul guitar, is the man born Saul Hudson, who is more genial and talkative than most musicians of his stature. If you understand the expressive and raw nature of his guitar playing, then, it seems, you understand the man.

Slash, 46, will forever be identified as the lead guitarist of Guns 'n' Roses, the Los Angeles hard-rock outfit known as much for the volatility of its band members as it is for its influential, timeless music. GNR was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame last month, reuniting Slash, bassist Duff McKagan, guitarist Gilby Clarke and drummers Matt Sorum and Steven Adler for a three-song performance. Replacing the conspicuously absent Axl Rose – with whom Slash hasn't spoken in many years - on the microphone was Alter Bridge singer Myles Kennedy, Slash's current songwriting collaborator.

While Rose soldiers on as GNR with a group of scabs, Slash – who recently told Rolling Stone that hopes of an original-lineup reunion are essentially kaput - continues other pursuits. He formed Slash's Snakepit in the mid-'90s after leaving Guns. He spent a large chunk of the '00s with Velvet Revolver, a supergroup featuring McKagan, Sorum, Dave Kushner and Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland. He released a solo record titled "Slash" in 2010, where he recruited a variety of guest stars to sing, recruiting Kennedy as frontman for its supporting tour.

Now, the guitarist is gearing up for the May 22 release of "Apocalyptic Love," an album billed to Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. I caught up with Slash while he was in Baltimore, rehearsing a set comprised of Guns, Velvet Revolver and solo songs for the current tour, which will feature Todd Kerns on bass, Brent Fitz on drums and Frank Sidoris on rhythm guitar. He was enthusiastic about working with Kennedy, and open and honest about being one of the newest members of the Rock Hall.

How's the set shaping up? Do you re-arrange any songs to keep them fresh?

For some reason, I find it an adventure every single night. We change it up some. I don't get sick and tired (of playing songs) that easily. It's not like I play one song a lot, or every single night…maybe every couple of nights.

I understand you recorded the new album to capture the "live" vibe.

It wasn't really that much different from when I started playing music. I've always recorded bass, drums and rhythm guitar live. I hate wearing headphones, so I've always recorded guitars with big monitors set up, so I get that live feel. Recording the guitars without headphones is more immediate and spontaneous – there's a sense of urgency to it.

How do the songs come together? Myles Kennedy writes the melodies and lyrics, right?

I come in with all the music ideas, and he takes it from there. It's an organic kind of thing. I'll come up with arrangements, but keep them open-ended for him. He's a guitar player as well. Working with him is great – it's kind of a blessing. We have great chemistry. It just works. He's just as nuts as I am about digging in and doing it. He'll try anything. There's a great synergy between the two of us.

How important is it to put together a good touring band to back you and Myles up?

Those guys are key. I essentially had to put together a pickup band to go on the road. Right now, I'm playing with the best rhythm section since the early GNR days. I named them the Conspirators, because they deserve their own name.

Yeah: Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators…

It's the longest name ever, but it's necessary, and it gets the point across (laughs).

How does it feel to be a member of the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame?

I don't know if it feels like anything at this point in time. You just move on and get back to washing dishes, or whatever you do. It's a little overwhelming. Going into it, I was very skeptical. I didn't want to go (to the ceremony) because it was such a mess between the band members, and I've always had issues with the Hall because of bands that haven't been inducted, and why. But eventually, I was inspired to show appreciation to a legion of fans, who have been loyal for so many years. When our moment came, I realized it was really bigger than the guys themselves. It was about the entity that is Guns 'n' Roses. It finally felt legitimate and significant. But I still have issues about the people who have and haven't been inducted.

I hear you. It's time for Lemmy and Motorhead to get their due.

If you get Deep Purple in there, I'll shut up. I didn't really pay attention to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame until Velvet Revolver was invited to play with Van Halen (in 2007). I always thought of it as a big boys' club. There are still a lot of people who haven't been inducted who deserve it.

How was the big jam session at the end of the ceremony?

That was fun. Sometimes, if you get that many people on the stage, it's sort of a cluster(expletive). But it was great to see my friend Ronnie Wood inducted for a second time (for The Faces; he was previously inducted with the Rolling Stones). With Ronnie and myself and Flea playing together, it was great.

Yeah, how was jamming with your contemporaries, the Red Hot Chili Peppers? I have to ask because Anthony Kiedis is from my hometown, Grand Rapids.

I've known Anthony for a long time. Steven Adler and Flea and myself used to hang out in the same neighborhood when we were 13, 14 years old. Flea was just Michael (Balzary) back then, and he played trumpet. We'd hang out by the elementary school, smoking pot and riding bikes and skateboards. We have a lot of history together, coming up in West Hollywood. It was great to be inducted the same year as them.

https://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/2012/05/q_a_with_slash_former_guns_n_r.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down