APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2012.04.12 - Los Angeles Times - Rock Hall Responds To Axl Rose, Confirms Chili Peppers To Play

Go down

2012.04.12 - Los Angeles Times - Rock Hall Responds To Axl Rose, Confirms Chili Peppers To Play Empty 2012.04.12 - Los Angeles Times - Rock Hall Responds To Axl Rose, Confirms Chili Peppers To Play

Post by Blackstar Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 17:02

Rock Hall responds to Axl Rose, confirms Chili Peppers to play

Guns N' Roses founding member Axl Rose had a message Wednesday for the the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which will hold its induction ceremony in Cleveland on Saturday without him.

"I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me," Rose wrote in a letter unveiled on Pop & Hiss. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has heard Rose's declaration and now responded.

“We are sorry Axl will not be able to accept his Induction in person," read a statement from a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame spokeswoman.

So ... that settles that? Probably not, as the spokeswoman noted that "other members" of the band are still on the guest list. As of Thursday afternoon, Guns N' Roses slinger Slash was still planning to attend, and longtime bassist Duff McKagan will be in Cleveland promoting a book.

Despite the drama surrounding Guns N' Roses, plans for Saturday's induction ceremony continue, and today the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame unveiled additional performers and presenters. The announcement confirms that L.A.'s Red Hot Chili Peppers, who will be inducted into the hall by comedian Chris Rock, will be performing at the ceremony.

Other members of this year's hall of fame class, including Donovan and pieces of English rock band the Small Faces, will also perform. The latter will appear as the Faces, with Kenney Jones and Ian McLagan joined by Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood. ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill, already on hand as presenters, have been added to a performance tribute to late blues inductee Freddie King, and LL Cool J will join Chuck D in inducting the Beastie Boys.

As previously reported, John Mellencamp, Steve Van Zandt and Bette Midler are among the presenters who have been tapped to handle inductions for the 2012 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Mellencamp will welcome in Donovan; E Street Band guitarist Van Zandt will bring in the Small Faces/Faces; and Midler will salute singer-songwriter Laura Nyro.

Additionally, Carole King will give the remarks for her former Brill Building boss, publisher and TV impresario Don Kirshner. Darlene Love will perform a tribute to Kirshner.

The Rock Hall ceremony began in 1986, and the 2012 class will bring the total number of performers inducted to 302. This year’s ceremony will be held at the hall in Cleveland rather than its usual spot at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. A highlights special will premiere May 5 on HBO.

Hall of Fame inductees

Guns N’ Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Beastie Boys
Donovan
Laura Nyro
Small Faces

Also, bluesman Freddie King, TV producer Don Kirshner, producers Tom Dowd and Glyn Johns, and engineer Cosimo Matassa.

[For the Record: 11:50 a.m. April 12: A previous version of this post implied that the Red Hot Chili Peppers were only recently added as performers. The Peppers were planning to perform, but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame only recently announced the confirmed lineup.]

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/04/rock-hall-responds-to-axl-rose.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85501

Back to top Go down

2012.04.12 - Los Angeles Times - Rock Hall Responds To Axl Rose, Confirms Chili Peppers To Play Empty Re: 2012.04.12 - Los Angeles Times - Rock Hall Responds To Axl Rose, Confirms Chili Peppers To Play

Post by Blackstar Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 17:04

Entertainment Weekly, Apr. 12, 2012:
----------------------------------------------

Rock Hall responds to Axl Rose's open letter about induction

By Kyle Anderson

Ever since the mysterious cabal that lords over the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that Guns N’ Roses would be part of this year’s induction class (first ballot!), the big question has centered around the giant cornrowed elephant in the room: Would Axl Rose, who parted ways with the other members of his legendary band long ago and has been carrying on with the name that is legally his for way longer than the proper lineup was together, show up?

Initial indications seemed hopeful. The other Gunners all seemed to feel that a full-on reunion was a possibility, and many of the old grudges appeared to have been settled. The Hall even assigned Green Day to handle Guns’ induction, a decision that makes no real musical sense but did give them the most high-profile spot on the ceremony’s card.

However, after much speculation and only a few days before the induction ceremony this weekend in lovely Cleveland, Rose has announced that not only is he not showing up to the party, but he has no interest in being a part of their little club either.

“For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It’s their show not mine,” he wrote. “That said, I won’t be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N’ Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf.”

In a letter sent to the Los Angeles Times, Rose explained that he has given the whole scenario a lot of thought, and that he has been in constant contact with representatives from the Hall. In laying out his relationships with the other Gunners being inducted, he noted that he’s on good terms with both Izzy Stradlin and Duff McKagan, though he was upset by comments that Steven Adler made regarding a classic lineup reunion following some shows in 2010. He does not mention Slash in the letter.

Rose comes across as genuinely divided regarding his decision, but ultimately he put this reunion — as well as the future possibility of other reunions — to bed for good. “So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever,” he wrote. “Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn’t owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another’s, or in this case several others’, expense.”

It’ll be interesting to see whether or not the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame adheres to Axl’s wishes and leaves him off the roster that is going into the sorta-shrine this Saturday. UPDATE: “We are sorry Axl will not be able to accept his induction in person,” said a spokesperson for the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame, in a statement.

What’s your take? Did Axl handle this well? Should the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame still go through with the induction? Does it even matter?

https://ew.com/article/2012/04/12/axl-rose-not-attending-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2012.04.12 - Los Angeles Times - Rock Hall Responds To Axl Rose, Confirms Chili Peppers To Play Empty Re: 2012.04.12 - Los Angeles Times - Rock Hall Responds To Axl Rose, Confirms Chili Peppers To Play

Post by Blackstar Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 17:06

CNN, April 12, 2012:
---------------------------

Axl Rose refuses Rock and Roll Hall of Fame honor

By Alan Duke, CNN

Axl Rose sent a "Thanks, but no thanks" letter to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for its induction of Guns N' Roses in Cleveland next weekend.

Bad blood between Rose and several former band mates from the original 1985 lineup is apparently at the center of his decision.

The Guns N' Roses lead singer wrote that after being "polite, courteous and open to an amicable solution," he concluded that the induction ceremony "doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected."

"Of course I realized as things stood, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation," said Rose, who tours with a version of the group that includes none of the original members from 1985.

Rose expressed frustration with what he called "a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies" from former bandmates "for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities."

He singled out original drummer Steven Adler for giving "interviews filled with reunion lies" five years ago.

"Until every single one of those generating from or originating with the earlier lineups has been brought out in the light, there isn't room to consider a conversation let alone a reunion," he wrote.

And don't even try to induct him into the hall without his approval, he wrote.

"I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf," Rose wrote. "Neither former members, label representatives nor the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame should imply whether directly, indirectly or by omission that I am included in any purported induction of 'Guns N' Roses'."

"We are sorry Axl will not be able to accept his Induction in person," said Lauren Bishop, a spokeswoman for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Slash, the original lead guitarist who left the band in 1996, will attend, his rep told CNN.

Duff McKagen, the original bassist, has tweeted his intention to be there.

Rose closed his letter saying, "as ironic as it may seem, I'd like to sincerely thank the board for their nomination and their votes for Guns' induction."

https://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/11/showbiz/axl-rose-hall-of-fame/index.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed 19 Jan 2022 - 17:20

The Guardian, April 12, 2012:
--------------------------------------

Axl Rose declines induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Guns N' Roses singer announces he won't be showing up to the band's induction and declined the honour for himself

Axl Rose has announced that he won't be showing up to see the band inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and declined the honour for himself.

In a letter to the hall, band fans and "to whom it may concern," Rose listed several reasons for not attending Saturday's ceremony in Cleveland, including a feeling that the hall does not respect him.

In declining his own induction, he added: "I strongly request that I not be inducted in absentia and please know that no one is authorized nor may anyone be permitted to accept any induction for me or speak on my behalf."

The hall said in a statement that it still plans to induct Rose with the rest of the group. "We are sorry he will not be able to accept his induction in person," it said.

According to the rock hall only the Sex Pistols have declined induction before.

Although Rose now fronts a reconstituted version of Guns N' Roses that does not include former members Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan or Steven Adler, some held out hope that the band might reunite at the hall.

Even Slash seemed to leave an opening for the possibility.

"I have no idea what's going to happen on that day," he said in an interview with associated press last month. "It's more like going into it with blinders on and just see what happens."

But Rose apparently was miffed by such talk.

"There's a seemingly endless amount of revisionism and fantasies out there for the sake of self-promotion and business opportunities masking the actual realities," he wrote.

He added: "So let sleeping dogs lie or lying dogs sleep or whatever. Time to move on. People get divorced. Life doesn't owe you your own personal happy ending especially at another's, or in this case several others', expense."

A rep for Slash said he would still attend Saturday but had no further comment. Green Day is scheduled to induct the group.

Rose admitted that when it was first announced that the band would be inducted, he had mixed feelings. But "I was honoured, excited and hoped that somehow this would be a good thing. Of course, if Guns N' Roses were to be inducted it'd be somewhat of a complicated or awkward situation."

Rose's announcement cast a cloud over the band's induction but in some ways was fitting, given the dysfunction that marked the group as it became one of the world's most popular acts in the 1980s and 1990s. Its hits included "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine" and "November Rain."

Besides Guns N' Roses, the inductees will include the Beastie Boys, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the late singer/songwriter Laura Nyro, Donovan, and The Small Faces/The Faces, which included Rod Stewart and Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/12/axl-rose-rock-hall-of-fame-guns-n-roses
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down