APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2010.11.21 - The Guardian - This Much I Know: Slash

Go down

2010.11.21 - The Guardian - This Much I Know: Slash Empty 2010.11.21 - The Guardian - This Much I Know: Slash

Post by Blackstar Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:05 am

This much I know: Slash

By Shahesta Shaitly

The musician, 45, on Stoke-on-Trent, groupies, and being addicted to cooking shows

Guitars are the coolest, sexiest things ever. I was overwhelmed the first time I put three notes together that sounded how they were meant to sound.

I was at my lowest from 1996 to 2001. I left Guns N' Roses and my alcoholism was at its peak. I was 35 and had to have a defibrillator fitted to my heart.

I gave up drink and drugs five years ago. I used to be a heroin guy. Up until then, if I was doing drugs then I wasn't really drinking, and if I was drinking I wasn't doing drugs – it was always one or the other.

There is this perception that I was a drunken brute, which was probably true at some point. But even in my partying days I was just very reclusive and kept to myself. It was just me and my demons.

I haven't smoked a cigarette in a year and a half.

I grew up in Stoke-on-Trent. We moved to Los Angeles when I was five years old. My memories of Stoke are cosy: my aunt and grandmother making mince pies and my grandfather being an old-fashioned fire chief. The thing I missed most when I left the UK was that there was no lollipop lady in LA.

I don't know what "American" feels like, but I definitely feel a thing for the British. I feel more comfortable in a room full of people if there's a Brit in there.

Growing up around famous people [his parents worked in the music industry], I'd often wonder what it felt like, but when my time came it was really uneventful.

I have a phobia of leaving my arm out of a car window when I'm driving. I think it has something to do with playing the guitar and needing my arm.

Reality TV is a sign of the end of western civilisation as we know it. There's no mystique left to anything.

Everybody asks questions about what happened with Axl [Rose] and I'm forced to come up with answers, but there's really nothing much to say.

I'm not an emotional person – I guess it's one of my drawbacks. The last time I cried was probably when my mum died.

Groupies have changed. In the 70s they just wanted to have sex. In the 80s they wanted to be near somebody rich. I couldn't tell you about the groupies of the 90s because I can't remember. Now they're pretty innocent or they're scary stalkers.

I'm addicted to cooking shows. I have no patience for cooking, but I know everything about it.

Working with Michael Jackson was great. He wasn't a dictator or one of those idiosyncratic assholes that feel like they can get away with being an asshole because they're so great. Michael was the embodiment of music.

I believe in something higher than myself. It's not god-specific.

Having children is still changing me. I'm the eternal teenager, so having my two boys is kind of like having a couple of buddies around.

My greatest achievement is that I've stayed alive in the music industry for this long – or maybe it's just staying alive, period.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/nov/21/this-much-i-know-slash-musician-british-drugs
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87993

Back to top Go down