APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2021.10.14 - Appetite For Distortion Podcast - Interview with Josh Freese

4 posters

Go down

2021.10.14 - Appetite For Distortion Podcast - Interview with Josh Freese Empty 2021.10.14 - Appetite For Distortion Podcast - Interview with Josh Freese

Post by Blackstar Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:50 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 45241

Back to top Go down

2021.10.14 - Appetite For Distortion Podcast - Interview with Josh Freese Empty Re: 2021.10.14 - Appetite For Distortion Podcast - Interview with Josh Freese

Post by Blackstar Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:58 pm

Josh said that all the songs he had worked on were instrumentals at the time he was in the band. He has listened to the released version of Hard Skool and it hasn't reminded him of something (I guess because it's been a long time and the song has changed a lot). He doesn't think he had a part in writing it.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

2021.10.14 - Appetite For Distortion Podcast - Interview with Josh Freese Empty Re: 2021.10.14 - Appetite For Distortion Podcast - Interview with Josh Freese

Post by Blackstar Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 pm

The only reason I know about the track Hard Skool at all is [that] my publishing company emailed me about it, maybe a week ago or a week-and-a-half ago, and said, “Do you know anything about the song Hard Skool? Did you have anything to do with the writing of it? Because it’s coming out” or “it just came out and we want to know what the splits are.” Because I guess it was done when I was in the studio with them. But we recorded so much material, and after I left they worked on so much stuff post me being there. And it was 20 years ago – over 20 years ago now – that I was there, that… There’s a few things that I really had a big hand in on the writing, for instance the title track, Chinese Democracy; I wrote the music to it. There was a few other songs that had working titles that never ended up on the Chinese Democracy record, but were laying around, and I know that at least when we recorded them 20 years ago, Axl liked them a lot. And once again, when I was there they didn’t have any lyrics yet, so they just had these working titles.

So when Hard Skool came out and I listened to it, I went “God, maybe that is one that I wrote that they’ve since… you know, later put lyrics to.” Like, when I was there in the studio with them, the song Chinese Democracy wasn’t called “Chinese Democracy” yet. I think the working title was “Smells like Josh Spirit,” because I wrote it and the chords were really simple – it’s just like kind of these three chords, over and over and over – and someone at one point goes, “This sounds kind of cool, like a Nirvana riff or something.” So it was titled “Smells Like Josh Spirit,” like up on the board where we had all the songs we were working on. Axl hadn’t written any lyrics to it yet, and that didn’t happen until after I left.

So, once again, when I went, “Okay, Hard Skool, let me listen to that, because maybe that’s what this song turned into or that song turned into,” I listened to it and I didn’t recognize hardly any of it, you know… That being said, maybe I did write some of it (laughs) - I mean, because, once again, it was 22 years ago. But there was two or three things that I brought in where I really wrote the majority of the music and I would definitely recognize instantly. As a matter of fact, before the track started playing, I’m like, “I wonder if it’s going to be this one, or this one, or this one,” because there were a few that were pretty cool that didn’t end up getting used, but that wasn’t one of them. Did they release more stuff or just that one track last week?  [Brando mentions Absurd and that it was called Silkworms] Oh yeah. I didn’t have anything to do with that one.  
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster and Uli like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:14 am

josh freese wrote the music to chinese democracy!

WOW, just fucking WOW!!

Facepalm
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 2626

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:49 am

@ludurigan wrote:josh freese wrote the music to chinese democracy!  

Yes, he did. It has been known for years and it is mentioned in the album credits (written by...)!
He was the drummer at the time ('98-2000), but he also can play guitar (and other instruments), hence him writing songs!  sfhaetdj

He told me himself (met him back in 2013) that for years when people chatted about the upcoming "Chinese Democracy" album (before it was released), he said "I wrote it" and people looked at him with disbelief! XD Razz
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 8008

Soulmonster, ludurigan and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:23 pm

Josh Freese is by far my favorite drummer from GN'R. Not only is he an amicable and funny guy, his drumming is spectacular as evidenced on the Village leaks. Unfortunate the band couldn't release anything while he was still in the band.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Stage manager

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 67183

Uli and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:12 pm

@Uli wrote:

Yes, he did. It has been known for years and it is mentioned in the album credits (written by...)!
He was the drummer at the time ('98-2000), but he also can play guitar (and other instruments), hence him writing songs!  sfhaetdj

He told me himself (met him back in 2013) that for years when people chatted about the upcoming "Chinese Democracy" album (before it was released), he said "I wrote it" and people looked at him with disbelief! XD Razz

amazing!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:17 pm

@Soulmonster wrote:Josh Freese is by far my favorite drummer from GN'R. Not only is he an amicable and funny guy, his drumming is spectacular as evidenced on the Village leaks. Unfortunate the band couldn't release anything while he was still in the band.

those 11 or so CDs that leaked had Brain on all tracks or did Josh played in any of them?

what are the village leaks? sorry don't know the first thing about all of this
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:18 pm

@Uli wrote:

gotta tell you ther cd riff and song are one of the few things i like on that album

any idea if josh wrote the vocal melody lines as well? those are good
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:47 pm

@ludurigan wrote:
@Soulmonster wrote:Josh Freese is by far my favorite drummer from GN'R. Not only is he an amicable and funny guy, his drumming is spectacular as evidenced on the Village leaks. Unfortunate the band couldn't release anything while he was still in the band.

those 11 or so CDs that leaked had Brain on all tracks or did Josh played in any of them?

what are the village leaks? sorry don't know the first thing about all of this
The Village leaks are those 19 discs. There was Josh on some of the tracks.

@ludurigan wrote:gotta tell you ther cd riff and song are one of the few things i like on that album

any idea if josh wrote the vocal melody lines as well? those are good
The vocal melodies were Axl's.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Uli and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:41 am

@Blackstar wrote:
The Village leaks are those 19 discs. There was Josh on some of the tracks.
wow, i was under the impression it was all brain on those tracks as (per what I perceived) most of those tracks (specially the instrumentals) were all buckethead's and I was under the impression brain played on all tracks

@Blackstar wrote:
The vocal melodies were Axl's.
nice... I want to believe he still has something left in him for when they get together again Very Happy
ludurigan
ludurigan

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum