APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2010.08.27 - WehoDaily/Blabbermouth - Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival

2 posters

Go down

2010.08.27 - WehoDaily/Blabbermouth - Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival Empty 2010.08.27 - WehoDaily/Blabbermouth - Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:45 am

From Blabbermouth:
--------------------------------------

Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival

The Sunset Strip Music Festival (SSMF) kicked off Thursday, August 26 with a special tribute to the 2010 SSMF festival honoree Slash (Velvet Revolver, ex-Guns N' Roses) at the House Of Blues. Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx, Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister and Alice In Chains' Jerry Cantrell spoke at the event, which was hosted by rock radio veteran Jim Ladd.

Slash remarked on stage: "Picking up the guitar for the first time in West Hollywood, then learning how to play in West Hollywood, starting a band in West Hollywood, and making it in West Hollywood. Getting a record deal at Geffen on Sunset which was the same place my dad used to work at when I was a kid. So I never left here. Everything in my life that is of any importance started in West Hollywood. And the Sunset Strip is like… such a part of me. So to be honored by the Sunset Strip is just a major, major thing for me."

https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-honored-at-sunset-strip-music-festival-photos-video-footage-available/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87962

Back to top Go down

2010.08.27 - WehoDaily/Blabbermouth - Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival Empty Re: 2010.08.27 - WehoDaily/Blabbermouth - Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival

Post by Blackstar Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:26 am

Another report on the event by Artisan News, Sept. 7, 2010, which includes stories told by Nikki Sixx and Jerry Cantrell during their speeches:

Voice-over: The Sunset Strip music festival once again celebrated a rich tradition of the Sunset Strip, as over 30,000 fans flocked to Hollywood, California from August 26 to August 28 to see sets from the Smashing Pumpkins, Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and Fergie, Kid Cudi, Travie McCoy, Neon Trees and Common, just to name a few. Kicking off the three-day event was a tribute to lead guitarist Slash, who has become synonymous with the legendary Sunset Strip having got his start performing with GNR on the legendary Strip back in the mid ‘80s. Slash easily stands at the top of a short list of rock guitarists to come out of the ‘80s, who continued to build on their successful career over 25 years into it. Giving speeches during the tribute to Slash were Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx and Alice in Chains’ Jerry Cantrell, and the night also included a very special jam with Slash and Motorhead bassist Lemmy Kilmister’s side-project, the Head Cat. On the red carpet before performing with Slash, Artisan News caught up with Lemmy Kilmister to get his thoughts on why he respects the legendary guitarist so much.

Lemmy: Well, he walks and talks. You know, he doesn't just talk it, he walks it, too. He puts up, you know… he is what he is. What you see is what you get. He is good.

Voice-over: Nikki Sixx, who has known Slash since before his days in GN’R, also talked about Slash being there when he originally overdosed on heroin and why he loves him so much.

Nikki Sixx: One thing about Slash is he doesn't really want to talk business. He just wants to play guitar and he's a real honest soulful person, and I've always loved that about him. So I called my office and I said, “What are the bullet points?” And I just wanted to point out, this came through my email today. It says, “Nikki, note number one: Slash was there when you died.” (laughs) I mean, how fucked up is that? That's rock ‘n’ roll. I knew Slash before Guns N' Roses, I've known him during Guns N' Roses, and I still know him today. And the one thing that I think about the man is that he's the salt of the earth. He doesn't know he's a rock star; I don't even think he cares if he's a rock star. And he's continued to raise the bar on his level of playing and the quality of his music, and I think that's something to be honored. I just wanted to point one thing out before I step off the stage; it's kind of ironic that we both have the exact same hair style that we did 25 years ago.

Voice-over: Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains also talked about why he's so proud of Slash and why he stands alone in his generation of lead guitarists.

Jerry Cantrell: When we were just getting Alice In Chains together, I actually went and saw Guns N’ Roses at the Seattle Center and I brought a demo tape down to give the band. I met Axl after the show, actually, and gave it to him, and as he was walking away, I saw him throw it away (laughs). But I just want to say that Guns N' Roses was a very inspirational band for us, and, as a guitar player, I can't really think of anybody of our generation that stands apart as much as Slash does to me. And from Guns N' Roses to Snakepit to Velvet Revolver and all of the projects that he's been involved in, he's one of the hardest-working people in this business that I've ever met. It's not easy to survive the pitfalls that come with this lifestyle and I'm very proud of Slash, as a human being, for facing some of those challenges as well as his commitment to his family, as a husband and his kids. And I'm just glad you're here, man, and you deserve everything. Thank you very much.

Voice-over: 13,000 music fans flocked to the outdoor festival on Saturday alone when the city of Hollywood closed down the Sunset Strip for the day.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87962

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

2010.08.27 - WehoDaily/Blabbermouth - Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival Empty Re: 2010.08.27 - WehoDaily/Blabbermouth - Slash Honored At Sunset Strip Music Festival

Post by ludurigan Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:11 am

Nice!

Do you know if there is any audio or video recording of this "special jam with Slash and Motorhead bassist Lemmy Kilmister’s side-project, the Head Cat"?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5499

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down