APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2010.04.23 - The Sun - Slash 'Too Scared' to Call Thom Yorke

Go down

2010.04.23 - The Sun - Slash 'Too Scared' to Call Thom Yorke Empty 2010.04.23 - The Sun - Slash 'Too Scared' to Call Thom Yorke

Post by Blackstar Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:03 am

Slash 'Too Scared' to Call Thom Yorke

Slash was desperate to collaborate with Thom Yorke on his new solo album - but he was too scared to approach the Radiohead frontman.

The former Guns N' Roses guitarist enlisted a slew of music stars to work on his upcoming self-titled record, including Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl, Motorhead's Lemmy, Kid Rock, Iggy Pop, Fergie and Ozzy Osbourne.

The musician had planned to ask Yorke to provide vocals for his track Saint is a Sinner Too, but he was too nervous to call the singer in case he turned down the offer.

He says, "The first calls I made were to the people I knew really well - like Iggy, Ozzy and Lemmy. I felt safe calling them. Then there were people like Kid Rock, who I'd jammed with at a bar. But asking the people I didn't know was daunting. I wanted Thom Yorke to do Saint is a Sinner Too, but I didn't have the balls to call him.

"I didn't think I could get him so a friend recommended Rocco DeLuca - who was an amazing discovery". The track was eventually recorded with DeLuca, who fronts rock band Rocco DeLuca and the Burden, singing lead vocals.

Meanwhile Slash admits he has dedicated his upcoming solo album to his late mother - because she was battling lung cancer while he was working on the record.

The former Guns N' Roses guitarist went into the studio last year (09) to record the self-titled collaborative album with a string of guest stars, but he was quietly battling personal issues after his mum, Ola, was admitted to hospital.

Ola passed away in August (09), and Slash admits he was determined not to let the tragedy halt his work - because she would have wanted him to finish the record.

He says, "My mum was my biggest fan. She was so supportive. I think she was relieved when I picked up a guitar when I was a kid because I was a real hell-raiser. This record is dedicated to her as her illness was going on at the same time as I was making it - and I know how much she wanted me to finish it."

Add to all this Slash refused to quit smoking while his mother was dying of lung cancer - he only kicked the habit after falling ill with pneumonia.

The former Guns N' Roses guitarist, 44, has been a heavy smoker for most of his adult life and admits his addiction to cigarettes spiralled after his mum, Ola, was admitted to hospital last year (09).

He says, "I smoked through the whole thing. I'd be sitting with her at the hospital and go out to smoke. Her illness was so sudden, the suffering went on for seven months and I was there through it all. Every five minutes I needed a cigarette - I had such a habit."

And it wasn't until the rocker suffered his own health scare, that he decided to quit.

He adds, "I became ill with a severe case of pneumonia. I couldn't smoke for two weeks, so I gave quitting a shot, but I am finding it hard."
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 91078

Back to top Go down