APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2008.09.02 - Rolling Stone - Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid

Go down

2008.09.02 - Rolling Stone - Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid Empty 2008.09.02 - Rolling Stone - Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid

Post by Blackstar Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid

By Andy Greene

Kevin Cogill, the blogger who was arrested by the FBI last week for leaking nine unreleased Guns n’ Roses tracks, has broken his silence on his Website. In a new post, Cogill reveals that he has retained the services of attorney David J.P. Kaloyanides, who works with “many indigent clients who cannot afford to hire their own lawyer,” according to his Website. Cogill has set up a Paypal account on his site to raise funds for his defense. He also plans on auctioning his Gibson Les Paul BFG guitar. “[Battling these charges] has definitely been by far the biggest expense I have ever faced in my entire life,” he writes. “My resources are very limited while formidable costs shall continue to pile up. It’s beyond daunting, being a single independent citizen facing a full-force prosecution by the most powerful government in the world.” If convicted Cogill faces a possible five-year prison sentence and a $250,000 fine. A preliminary hearing is booked for September 17th.

Speaking to Rolling Stone in June, Cogill seemed unaware of the recent law that explicitly outlawed the distribution of unreleased music. “I’m not worried [about possible legal action],” he said. “I have a few friends in the music industry, pretty high up on the inside. The consensus seems to be that they probably aren’t going to prosecute, it’s pretty bad PR. It’s a grey area in a lot of senses since it wasn’t for download and it wasn’t a finished product. We aren’t even sure who owns the recordings. Everything I know about these situations doesn’t apply to this particular case. I’m not ruling anything out, but I feel like I might survive this. I don’t know.”

He also explained his rationale for posting the music to begin with. “I set out to prove the point that this shit will always get out there, no matter how tight a lid they put on it. Me just saying I had these songs wouldn’t be enough. If I said, ‘Hey, we heard Chinese Democracy — it’s great.’ Nobody would fucking buy that. How many sites have said that? I had to have someone say, ‘No, they fucking have it. They posted it.’ “

https://web.archive.org/web/20080905081759/http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/02/did-guns-n-roses-leaker-know-he-broke-the-law-kevin-cogill-asks-for-financial-aid/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87097

Back to top Go down

2008.09.02 - Rolling Stone - Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid Empty Re: 2008.09.02 - Rolling Stone - Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid

Post by Blackstar Sat May 15, 2021 6:35 pm

The posting at Antiquet.com:
The United States Of America Vs. Me

By Skwerl

Hi everyone. As you are all undoubtedly aware, I was arrested at gunpoint last Wednesday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and I am now facing a federal criminal charge by the United States Government of copyright infringement, after allegedly hosting a stream of 9 Guns N’ Roses songs, for a brief period of time in June.

As a result, many old friends, new enemies, creepy strangers and reporters have been cramping my style; Asking questions, offering to help, threatening to injure / kill me, wishing me luck, wishing that I rot in jail for the rest of my life, hiding in my bushes, et cetera.

Of course, I’ve been consumed by more pressing concerns, and I haven’t been able to respond to any of it. But I wanted to take a moment to address some things today, now that my situation is a little more under control.

As this is a criminal case, I will not be discussing any of its details, with anyone, while it is open. Inquiries of any kind in any relation to this case should be directed to my attorney, David J.P. Kaloyanides, APLC, without exception.

I am trying to take full responsibility for my predicament. I consider the burden of legal fees ultimately mine to bear; I have independently raised the funds required to retain my attorney. However, it has definitely been by far the biggest expense I have ever faced in my entire life, and my resources are very limited while formidable costs shall continue to pile up. It’s beyond daunting, being a single independent citizen facing a full-force prosecution by the most powerful government in the world.

The United States Attorney’s Office has almost unlimited resources to prosecute. The FBI has nearly unlimited resources to investigate. And while by “resources” I mean taxpayer dollars of course, in this case they also have the added resource of the band’s lawyers, on which they have already relied.

Supporters have expressed an interest in contributing to a defense fund, so I’ve opened one up. You can send funds via PayPal to defense@antiquiet.com, or through this PayPal donation button:

We’ll be keeping track of every single contributor, and we’re exploring ways we can show our appreciation and thanks. If anyone out there wishes to donate anything our supporters may appreciate; CDs, concert tickets, anything- we’ll be happy to re-distribute them out to other donators, or auction them on eBay to benefit the defense fund. Either way, I will be auctioning off some of my own few valuable possessions, including a Gibson Les Paul BFG guitar that we may try and get autographed by one of the bands that Antiquiet has supported.

We’re open to all creative suggestions; direct any you may have to defense@antiquiet.com.

You can also send mail to our PO box, anonymously or otherwise. Checks can be made payable either to myself (Kevin Cogill) or my lawyer, David J.P. Kaloyanides, APLC.

Your donation and / or correspondence can be kept completely confidential if you so desire.

Thank you,
Skwerl
https://web.archive.org/web/20081201120419/http://www.antiquiet.com/editorials/2008/09/the-united-states-of-america-vs-me/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2008.09.02 - Rolling Stone - Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid Empty Re: 2008.09.02 - Rolling Stone - Did Guns n’ Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid

Post by Blackstar Sat May 15, 2021 6:37 pm

Related article in NME, Sept. 3, 2008:
----------------------------------------------

Guns N' Roses album bootlegger appeals for legal funds

Kevin Cogill is 'trying to take full responsibility'

US music blogger Kevin Cogill, who was arrested by the FBI for leaking nine tracks from the as-yet-to-be released new Guns N Roses' album, 'Chinese Democracy', has spoken out about the incident.

Cogill, who has been released on bail, wrote that he's having a tough time trying to raise funds for his attorney and is finding the whole predicament rather stressful. He appealed to the public for cash to help his legal cause.

Speaking on his blog he said: "As you are all undoubtedly aware, I was arrested at gunpoint last Wednesday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and I am now facing a federal criminal charge by the United States Government of copyright infringement, after allegedly hosting a stream of nine Guns N Roses songs, for a brief period of time in June."

Cogill then referred to former bandmember Slash's recent comments on the incident, continuing: "As a result, many old friends, new enemies, creepy strangers and reporters have been cramping my style; Asking questions, offering to help, threatening to injure/kill me, wishing me luck, wishing that I rot in jail for the rest of my life, hiding in my bushes, et cetera."

Cogill went on to say he wouldn't be able to discuss the details directly as he is involved in a criminal case, but did explain he was finding himself in financial difficulty after having to fork out for a lawyer.

"I am trying to take full responsibility for my predicament," he wrote. "I consider the burden of legal fees ultimately mine to bear; I have independently raised the funds required to retain my attorney."

He added: "It's beyond daunting, being a single independent citizen facing a full-force prosecution by the most powerful government in the world."

Cogill carried on by saying he was going to try and auction off some of his possessions, and has asked people who are interested in donating to his defence fund to send money via PayPal.

There is still no sign of the long-awaited LP being released - 17 years since the band last released a studio album 'proper'.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080906005145/http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/39466
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down