APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2008.08.08 - Blabbermouth - Velvet Revolver Settles Plagiarism Claim Out Of Court

Go down

2008.08.08 - Blabbermouth - Velvet Revolver Settles Plagiarism Claim Out Of Court Empty 2008.08.08 - Blabbermouth - Velvet Revolver Settles Plagiarism Claim Out Of Court

Post by Blackstar Sat 15 May 2021 - 11:34

Velvet Revolver Settles Plagiarism Claim Out Of Court, Awards UK Songwriter Share Of Hit

Tony Newton, the bass player and chief songwriter of UK rock band Voodoo Six, has been awarded a share of Velvet Revolver's song "Dirty Little Thing", which appeared on VR's debut album "Contraband". Following a claim brought by Newton's publishers Universal Music, Velvet Revolver has now signed over 20% of all royalties on the record since its release on the album in 2004 and as a U.S. single in 2005. The claim alleged that the melody and core guitar riff from the Velvet Revolver track was an unmistakable copy of Newton's track "Cyber Babe", which was released in 1999 on the album "Real World" by Newton's former band Dirty Deeds. The agreement between the parties covers all commercial uses of the record including live performances and video plays as well as digital and physical album and single sales worldwide.

"It was all a bit surreal, really," stated Tony Newton. "A couple of years back, a mate of mine in L.A. called me to say he'd heard what he thought was my song on the radio, and that he had been a bit shocked when he realized it was Velvet Revolver. When I checked it out myself, I genuinely couldn't believe it, because it wasn't as if it was close... it was basically the same riff. Anyway, I called my publishers to check whether they knew anything — which, of course, they didn't — and then basically left it with them. I never really expected to hear any more about it and was as surprised as anyone when I heard that Universal had settled with Velvet Revolver."

https://archive.blabbermouth.net/news/velvet-revolver-settles-plagiarism-claim-out-of-court-awards-uk-songwriter-share-of-hit/

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down