APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2007.09.22 - Rocky Mountain News - Revolver Door (Slash)

Go down

2007.09.22 - Rocky Mountain News - Revolver Door (Slash) Empty 2007.09.22 - Rocky Mountain News - Revolver Door (Slash)

Post by Blackstar Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:09 am

Revolver door

Guitarist Slash opens up about new album, his band and rock

By Mark Brown

Velvet Revolver sounded fine when the supergroup first formed from the remnants of Stone Temple Pilots and Guns N' Roses. But with extensive touring under their belts, the band's latest album, Libertad, rocks with '70s-era swagger - big anthems, sharp riffs and rock-star attitude. Velvet Revolver now sounds like a band, not a mash-up. The tour comes here Monday as part of a big year that included a controversial induction of Van Halen into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Former Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash spoke with Rocky pop music writer Mark Brown about the revolving life.

Can you compare recording this album, which you did with producer Brendan O'Brien, to the first album?

"Brendan was a very organic, easy- going experience with somebody who knows exactly what we sound like and how to capture that. The experience that Brendan has, the style he has, the background he has and the camaraderie of the band, all fell together. For one, he's a musician. He's not one of those frustrated musician/producers, but somebody who knows how to play who chose to be a producer. He's just out to make you sound good. We left a lot of stuff on this record that might not have made it because you nitpick in the studio and before you know it you've redone the whole record. He'd say, 'You know, this sounds great the way it is.' "

Was the songwriting different this time around?

"It's more or less the same process. Where your head is at may be different but exactly how you go about it, there wasn't a lot of forethought of 'We're going to do this or that differently.' The only thing we talked about was making the best record we could."

Would you agree the riffs are catchier this time around?

"Everyone was a bit more comfortable, having been a band a little bit longer than the first record, being a little more relaxed, being able to come to the table and say, 'This is a really good idea.' The songwriting seemed to come a little more natural and the songs are a bit more live."

First you were going to induct Van Halen into the Rock Hall of Fame and then you ended up standing in for them when Eddie went to rehab. Was that weird?

"To say the least. Initially they said, 'Do you want to come in and present Van Halen with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame award and play a song?' What an honor . . . then we got down to the wire and it was time to do it and we got into all this stuff. The reason we were asked to play more (songs) was Eddie going (into rehab). We had things with David Lee Roth and he wanted to sing this song and it got very complicated. At the end of the day he ended up not showing up."

How did it feel to be in the middle of it, having done nothing to cause it?

"It was nice to be in the middle of it having done nothing, as opposed to being responsible for the whole thing, which I've been through before (laughs). It was interesting being involved in another band's situation. We did try to portray our interpretations of a Van Halen song, because we're not a Van Halen type band. We did our song and it was over with. Sammy (Hagar) and Michael (Anthony) were very professional."

I've heard some Van Halen influence in your style - not the super- fast stuff that Eddie does but a clean, sweet melodic tone. Is it in there?

"You're the first person in the 20- some-odd years I've been doing this to ever notice that. I think Eddie's great, but I didn't jump on the Eddie Van Halen bandwagon like everyone else and copy him. There was something in his style, though, I did relate to which was his more blues-related licks. I like all of his playing, but the part I related to that had an influence on me was stuff that didn't seem to have much influence on everybody else. There's a tip of the hat to Eddie in my playing for sure."

Like the rest of us, do you just look at (former Guns N' Roses bandmate) Axl Rose and scratch your head?

"Not as much as everyone else because I know him a little better. I don't spend that much time dwelling on it. I think about it when people ask me about it or tell me something about it, people I know who know him. Otherwise I just enjoy (having) Velvet Revolver in my life (too much) to worry about what's going on with him."

There's a conspiracy theory out there that all his antics and the 13-year delay of Chinese Democracy is part of a plan for a huge reunion tour next year. True?

"I really seriously doubt it. A lot of people are living out some crazy fantasy. It's weird. There's never been one word spoken between he and I or our camps about that. Ever. It's a lot of people talking when there's no truth to it whatsoever."

Pink Floyd reunited last year and Led Zeppelin is this year. Are you a fan of reunions?

"A reunion for the sake of reunion doesn't mean anything to me. But when it's some guys you really admire, you hope it goes well because you really love them. There's something about a reunion that's just a label. It's all about the music and the musicians. If it's inspired it's great. A band I never got to see is Led Zeppelin. It's like Van Halen getting back together. It's just a Van Halen tour that no one has seen in a really long time."
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down