APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2004.02.03 - Jim Dunlop's Website - Interview with Duff

Go down

2004.02.03 - Jim Dunlop's Website - Interview with Duff Empty 2004.02.03 - Jim Dunlop's Website - Interview with Duff

Post by Blackstar Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:23 pm

In the past couple of months, the buzz surrounding a new band featuring members of Guns N’ Roses and Stone Temple Pilots has been filled with excitement and drama. From signing a huge record deal (with the legendary Clive Davis) to a band member’s legal problems, life is never dull for Velvet Revolver. The band entered the studio to record their debut record with Josh Abraham producing.

We got a chance to talk with Duff McKagan while he was tracking bass at NRG Studios. Duff has been a long time Dunlop artist. From Guns N’ Roses to his band Loaded, Duff has always been a member of the Dunlop family.

“I’m really excited about this record,” he says. “Everything is sounding great and coming together fast. Matt (Sorum) got drums done in five days. It looks like it’s going to take me three days max to get my parts done.”

Duff took a little time to talk about the Dunlop products he is using.

“I’ve been using the yellow Tortex pick (418 .73) forever,” he says. “I’ve tried to use other picks, but, nothing beats the yellow Tortex.”
“ As far as the straps go, I’m a tall guy and have always had a tough time finding a strap that was long enough,” says Duff. “The DD strap is perfect—comfortable and long!”

While watching Duff record his parts in the control room, his bass tech Mike Mayhue showed that Duff’s bass rig hasn’t changed much since the Guns days. Aside from the D-38 DD Straps, the only real difference is that Duff is using the MXR M-80 Bass D.I.

“I’m glad he’s using the M-80,” says Mayhue. “The added tone of the pedal makes his rig sound that much bigger. Plus, the distortion side give a massive push to his sound.” Mayhue says that Duff has never used any effect as much as he uses the M-80. “The pedal is on all the time! I really like the way the M-80 sounds. The clean sound is well rounded and the distortion is very tunable.”

McKagan elaborates: “In the past when I’ve used distortion, the bottom end always went away. With the M-80 I can blend in a really full clean sound with the distorted tone. Plus, I can put the M-80 in front of any amp and get my sound.”

Be on the lookout for the release of the record, which, at press time, was slated for a mid-spring release. Check the Velvet Revolver website for updates!!!!
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down