APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2020.07.29 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Interview with Frank

Go down

2020.07.29 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Interview with Frank Empty 2020.07.29 - Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon - Interview with Frank

Post by Blackstar Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:14 am

Excerpts from UG:
------------------------

During an appearance on Rock Talk With Mitch Lafon, Guns N' Roses drummer Frank Ferrer talked about performing the band's classic tracks, 2008's "Chinese Democracy," the reunion tour, and more.

When asked if it's easier for him to perform the Steven Adler drum parts, Frank replied (transcribed by UG):

"I don't think either one is easy. I definitely won't use the word 'easy.' They both, and you have to include the 'Chinese Democracy' drumming too because it's all three guys drumming - [Bryan Mantia] 'Brain', Josh [Freese], and myself.

"So I try to keep the spirit of the song the same, definitely find a niche between the three different drummers but at the same time filter that out to be like my own thing.

"I don't think it's easy at all, but that's what I tried to do. Hopefully, I'm accomplishing that, I mean the guys in the band are happy with my drumming, but that's what I try to do."

In terms of 'Chinese Democracy,' that album to me is incredibly misunderstood. Do you think as the years go by people are sort of coming around? Was it judged too harshly?

"I think that, and it's definitely coming around now that Duff [McKagan] and Slash are playing the material, I think that has given people a signature sound and a new perspective on the album.

"That album rocks. I'm not sure how to answer that, but I think definitely people are giving it a second look now. Slash and Duff are actually playing the material better.

"A lot of really cool shit on that record, those guys opening their arms and embracing that stuff - I think that was also a part of the healing process.

"I think them doing that and then Axl doing [Velvet Revolver's] 'Slither,' I think everybody, especially those three gentlemen are really trying really hard to really come together and be as one, and I think it's super impressive.

"I'm really glad to be part of it, and I'm supportive of it. I think that 'Chinese Democracy' is getting a second look."

Any updates on any new music?

"I want to answer this like this: we're in a pandemic. I mean, new music and new this and new that, that's all great, but stay home and wear a mask so we could get over this thing, that's the only thing I can say to anybody.

"If you want to hear new music, if you want to go see your bands - wear a mask, stay home, keep yourself safe, keep your neighbors safe, and we'll get through this.

"And then we're going to be back to normal and the world is going to be much brighter. Again, school is important, keeping us alive is more important than anything."

Let me just quickly ask you about working with [GN'R guitarist] Richard Fortus - because when you go join a band like Guns N' Roses and you see all the new kids in the town, it can be intimidating. But you go there with a friend, with a guy you played with [in a band called PSSR]. How important was Richard for you and you for Richard for you to both sort of join this band together and have your backs in a sense?

"That's a really good question. We can have a whole conversation on just this one question, but I'll make it as brief as possible.

"Richard joins in 2002; I didn't join until 2006 but yeah - because Richard and I had this musical relationship for at that point would have been 15 years or something, we had this musical relationship.

"I had also played with [ex-GN'R bassist] Tommy Stinson through Richard Fortus. I met Tommy through Richard, so between Stinson and Fortus, to them what I understand was very natural just to give me a call because we were friends and we also had a good musical relationship, we've worked together, we've played together, which is very important.

"I became friends with [ex-GN'R guitarist] Bumblefoot afterward. We weren't too far apart, we weren't in the same neighborhood, he was about 40 minutes south of me.

"Eventually, fast-forward a few years, I have a couple of kids, we bought a house in New Jersey, so I moved from New York City to New Jersey, but I didn't meet Bumble until I joined Guns, but yeah, we became friends right away because we were basically neighbors."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gnr_drummer_talks_how_chinese_democracy_is_misunderstood_says_playing_adler_or_sorum_parts_is_not_easy.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down