APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England

2 posters

Go down

2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England Empty 2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England

Post by Blackstar Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Date:
July 19, 2006.

Venue:
Metro Radio Arena.

Setlist:
01. Welcome to the Jungle
02. It's So Easy
03. Mr. Brownstone
04. Live and Let Die
05. Sweet Child O'Mine
06. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
07. Street of Dreams
08. You Could Be Mine
Beautiful (Richard Fortus & Robin Finck Guitar Duet)
09. Out Ta Get Me
10. November Rain
Bumblefoot Guitar Solo
11. My Michelle (with Sebastian Bach)
12. You Gotta Move (with Izzy)
13. Think About You (with Izzy)
14. Patience (with Izzy)
15. Nightrain (with Izzy)

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Richard Fortus (rhythm guitarist), Bumblefoot (lead guitarist), Robin Finck (lead guitarist), Tommy Stinson (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards), Chris Pitman (keyboards) and Frank Ferrer (drums).

2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England Rightarrow Next concert: 2006.07.21.
2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England Leftarrow Previous concert: 2006.07.18.

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England Empty Re: 2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England

Post by Blackstar Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks to ToonGuns at mygnrforum for pointing out that we were missing this show.

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England Empty Re: 2006.07.19 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle, England

Post by Blackstar Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:00 pm

Press release, July 21, 2006:
Guns N' Roses Heat Wave

Guns N' Roses want the people of Newcastle to know that the crowd at their sold out show Wednesday night was terrific. The band played a sweaty two hour show on the hottest night in a lifetime bolstered by the audience's incredible support. Unfortunately, the band was not able to give the crowd the encore they deserved due to the behaviour of a couple of cowards in the audience.

Guns N' Roses keyboard player Dizzy Reed explained "Newcastle was one of the best gigs of the entire tour. I had puddles of sweat underneath my keyboards and loved every second of it except when some idiots decided to throw things at the stage. When Axl got hit the first time, the audience pointed out who threw the object and security tossed him out so we came back. Then Axl got hit in the mouth with another object, so thanks to the behavior of two morons who obviously don't know how to behave at a rock concert, the show ended with no encores. I've been in this band for sixteen years and stupid shit like throwing stuff at the stage is something we won't tolerate. We're not targets, we're musicians."

Guitarist Robin Finck stated, "We had a great time Wednesday night and Axl sang his ass off but you do not wait around to get hit in the mouth for a third time."

Guns N' Roses vocalist Axl Rose had this to say, "Getting hit wasn't a big deal. We stopped the song and gave a warning. We came back and started the song over and completed it. We then said goodnight. The house lights went down and I got hit a second time, in the mouth, by a solid object thrown by someone in the audience. After having warned the crowd that we would leave, and having played more than two hours, we left the stage and called it a night with the full support of everyone in the band, our guests and Management. Izzy was the first to immediately support the decision verbally to me personally before I had physically left the stage area. Tommy and Frank came to my dressing room to say how much they appreciated the decision to not continue under those conditions, and express their support for not tolerating anyone throwing items at the stage with a negative intent. This has been GNR's policy since playing Donnington in 1988. We thank everyone for coming, we hope everyone got home safely and we hope to play Newcastle again - hopefully without those looking for enjoyment at others expense. Cheers!"

Guns N' Roses look forward to continuing their sold out UK tour in Glasgow tonight.

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:01 pm

Related article in NME, July 24, 2006:
Guns N’ Roses speak after being bottled off

Axl has words for Newcastle

Guns N’ Roses have spoken out amid reports that their gig at Newcastle’s Metro Radio Arena last Wednesday (July 19) ended with the band being bottled off the stage by a booing crowd.

The band, plus former member Izzy Stradlin, finished their set early after being overwhelmed by the volume of bottles that hit the stage.

In an statement, Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose explained: “Getting hit wasn’t a big deal. We stopped the song and gave a warning. We came back and started the song over and completed it. We then said goodnight. The house lights went down and I got hit a second time, in the mouth, by a solid object thrown by someone in the audience.

“After having warned the crowd that we would leave, and having played more than two hours, we left the stage and called it a night with the full support of everyone in the band, our guests and management.”

He added that his bandmates had supported the decision.

“Izzy (Stradlin) was the first to immediately support the decision verbally to me personally before I had physically left the stage,” he explained. “Tommy (Stinson– bass) and Frank (Ferrer– drums) came to my dressing room to say how much they appreciated the decision to not continue under those conditions, and express their support for not tolerating anyone throwing items at the stage with a negative intent. This has been G N’ R’s policy since playing Donnington in 1988.”

The band are set to to play the last four dates of their sold out UK tour this week, the dates are:

Birmingham NEC (July 25)

Nottingham Arena (27)

London Wembley Arena (29/30)
https://www.nme.com/news/music/guns-n-roses-301-1364024
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Oh that's great. It was missing from my database too.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:49 am

Review in The Evening Chronicle (local newspaper), July 20, 2006:
Rose proves thorny

By Kate Brown, The Evening Chronicle

Fans were treated to a night of hard rocking as 80s legends Guns N Roses came to town as part of their first European tour in 10 years.

True to form, the incorrigible Axl Rose took his time in taking to the stage and as an hour passed the fans grew more and more restless.

By the time the stage rumbled into activity (a full 80 minutes after support act Bullet For My Valentine finished their set), the suspense was palpable.

Yet, as the familiar guitar riffs of Welcome to the Jungle rang out across the Metro Radio Arena, all seemed to be forgotten and the crowd's attention immediately turned to enjoying the show.

Impressive pyrotechnics brought an element of excitement to the stage with loud blasts followed by fountains of light launching the audience into a frenzy.

The James Bond theme, Live and Let Die, was performed against a backdrop of fire and light which really packed a punch. Despite the habitual line-up changes and Axl being the only member of the original band remaining, the current combination gelled well. Each of the three guitarists were given time to enjoy the spotlight, the most notable solo coming from newest band member, Ron Thal. Guitarist Robin Finck also shone as he played the crisp chords of the heavy metal ballad Sweet Child O' Mine to an exceptional reaction. This song had ecstatic fans singing along to every word.

Sebastian Bach, who started the night with a spirited one-hour set with copious amounts of head banging added for good measure, returned to the limelight to help the band deliver an action-packed version of My Michelle with both Axl and Sebastian bounding from one side of the stage to the other, providing us with a memorable performance.

The band succeeded in dispersing their newer material from the as yet unreleased album, Chinese Democracy, among their vintage hits without too much complaint. Inevitably, the crowd failed to get as animated over newer songs.

After nearly two hours of entertainment, Guns N' Roses eventually ended the night with the well-loved Night Train. The flow of this was somewhat hindered due to an over-excited fan attempting to throw a missile at Axl, who subsequently told the others to stop playing and stormed off stage. Fortunately the band returned but Axl's attitude was met with a mixed response and it was apparent he was eager to wrap up.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 am

Report in The Evening Chronicle, July 21, 2006:
It's Axl roast

Guns n' Roses wildman Axl Rose refused to go on stage until he'd had a lamb roast.

Guns n' Roses wildman Axl Rose refused to go on stage until he'd had a lamb roast. The 44-year-old lead singer of the self-styled world's most dangerous band, demanded a slap-up lamb roast dinner, complete with Yorkshire puddings, mint sauce, and gravy before the sell-out gig.

Hordes of black clad rockers jeered and whistled as Rose tucked in, keeping them waiting in the sweltering Metro Radio Arena, in Newcastle, on Wednesday night.

Rose, who was due to perform soon after 9.30pm, finally sauntered on stage at 10.15pm, an hour after stepping off a helicopter which had flown him from London to the show.

Roses fan Saskia Green, 25, a student from Newcastle, said: "Axl was due onstage at 9.30 but did not show up until well after ten.

"It was really hot and the Arena was packed.

"The crowd was booing because he was taking for ever. We didn't know if Axl was even in Newcastle. People were throwing stuff about and getting quite upset.

"A security guard said the delay to the gig was caused by Axl demanding a lamb dinner before he went on - very rock & roll!"

Metro Arena general manager Colin Revel said caterers traveling with the band had rushed to prepare the hot dinner when Rose arrived from London.

"He stepped off the chopper at 9.15, 10 minutes before he was due on stage," Mr Revel said.

"We were going frantic but before he would go on he demanded to be fed by the caterers. And apparently only a roast dinner would do.

"He was cutting it extremely fine but I guess that is par for the course - Axl Rose is Axl Rose."

Mr Revel said more than 9,000 people attended the gig.

Saskia said: "When Axl finally made an appearance all was forgiven.

"He did not apologise he just launched right into Welcome to the Jungle and the crowd went mad.

"They played until just after midnight at which point someone threw beer on stage, and Rose stormed off and all the lights went out.

"Then an announcement came saying don't throw things or he wouldn't be back.

"He came back on for one song but did not sing Paradise City, which was a shame."
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/its-axl-roast-1542326
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 am

Statement from Richard, July 25, 2006:
"To my knowledge, there was never a bottle thrown at the stage while we were on it. Newcastle (in my opinion), was one of (if not the), best shows of the tour. It was also the hottest! It was a steam bath! The fans were amazing, and seemed 100% with us the entire show. It was a really magical show for me, until the very end.

"During 'Night Train', someone threw a coin and it hit Axl and he stopped us and we walked off. We made an announcement that we weren't going to keep playing if anything else was thrown. Unfortunately, we came back, started the song again and the same thing happened. So we left. That's what this band has always done when people keep throwing shit. Maybe people were booing in the back. If they were, I sure as hell didn't hear it nor did I see it. Except for some asshole that ruined it for everyone, it was one of the greatest shows of my life. The Newcastle audience was amazing.

"The press reports that I've read made it sound as though we were bottled and booed off the stage, but as usual they are full of shit. That includes the story about Axl refusing to go on until he got a roast duck dinner. Complete bullshit. I know, I was with him. Blatant lies. Don't believe what you read kiddies!

"The fans have been amazing here in Europe. It's pretty overwhelming.

"I'd like to personally thank all the fans that have come to the shows. Especially the ones that didn't come as fans, but left as fans. Your emails and all the posts on the websites have really meant a lot.

"Oh yeah, one more thing. Izzy Stradlin is one of the coolest people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. It's a pleasure to play with him and to hang out with him.

"Again, thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that has helped make this tour so much fun."
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down