APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.05.29 - Madison Capital Times - MTV's Use of Rock Video Vixens Sags

Go down

1992.05.29 - Madison Capital Times - MTV's Use of Rock Video Vixens Sags Empty 1992.05.29 - Madison Capital Times - MTV's Use of Rock Video Vixens Sags

Post by Soulmonster Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:59 am

1992.05.29 - Madison Capital Times - MTV's Use of Rock Video Vixens Sags Madiso15
1992.05.29 - Madison Capital Times - MTV's Use of Rock Video Vixens Sags Madiso17
1992.05.29 - Madison Capital Times - MTV's Use of Rock Video Vixens Sags Madiso16

The article looks at supposed sexism in MTV rock videos. Transcript of GN'R part:
-------------------------

Take, for instance, the Guns N' Roses video that aired almost immediately after I began recording. GNR is not exactly a favorite among modern feminists, thanks to such seemingly sexist song :itles as "Pretty Tied Up." Sensitive guys they ain't.

But anyone hoping for some on-camera hanky-panky was sure to be disappointed by the group's video version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door." Shot live in concert, it focuses mainly on singer Axl Rose (shown wearing spandex shorts and a T-shirt showing a thorn-crowned Jesus and bearing the legend "Kill Your Idols") and guitarist Slash; the only women in evidence any-where are the band's backup singers, whose appearances are so brief that you might miss them without a pause control. Sex isn't even a suggestion here.

Another GNR clip cropped up a few hours later, but this, too, seemed largely sexless. The song was "You Could Be Mine," but the images had more to do with "Terminator 2" (it was part of the soundtrack) than with the band. Indeed, Arnold Schwartzenegger earns more screen time than Axl or his bandmates.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down