APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Perhaps

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Perhaps - Page 2 Empty Re: Perhaps

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:10 am

Review in Metal Planet Music:

Single Review : Guns n’ Roses – ‘Perhaps’

Review by Paul Monkhouse for MPM

This is a rush. One of the biggest bands in the world, back with one of the best tracks they’ve ever recorded.

More addictive than should be legal, this passionate and drama-filled rocker has heart and hooks big enough to fill the largest of stadiums.

Kicking off with its barrelling piano motif and feel of Sir Elton John at his finest, ‘Perhaps’ has all the balls and sweeping power you could wish for and surges with all the electricity and adrenaline soaked excitement of a prime Bond film theme.

With a superb vocal by Axl and a taught solo by Slash, there’s a danger and darkness lurking here that threatens to eviscerate the listener at any minute, the accompanying video shot in the same ‘life on the road and on stage’ style of the classic ‘Paradise City’ promo.

If this doesn’t get your heart racing faster and desperate to see the band lay waste to a venue near you, check your pulse immediately. Absolutely blazing.

Source: https://metalplanetmusic.com/2023/08/single-review-guns-n-roses-perhaps/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:09 pm

Duff and Susan talking about Perhaps in the latest episode of their radio show, Three Chords & The Truth (first aired on Aug. 17, on SiriusXM's Ozzy's Boneyard):

Transcript:
--------------

Duff: And that was Guns N’ Roses with Perhaps!

Susan: Woo-hoo!

Duff: It’s not “perhaps” anymore. It is here.

Susan: Wow. Can you believe it, babe?

Duff: Yeah…

Susan: Exciting news. Brand’s making new music. Guns N’ Roses, you heard it here.

Duff: Yeah, it’s been long talked about – I think it’s a great song. Just a great song, and great performances, and Axl sings amazing on it and…

Susan: It’s pretty incredible.

Duff: It’s great to…

Susan: I’m really proud of you.

Duff: And we’ve got a… Didn’t it leak or something? Jukeboxes?

Susan: (Laughing) Yes, I’ve read that it leaked across the electronic jukeboxes or something?

Duff: Whatever that is, but-

Susan: Here in the States.

Duff: Uh, I guess it was slated to come out and they already, like, they had it lined up on the jukeboxes. And the release date got pushed back a week or something, but the jukeboxes didn’t know it.

Susan: They didn’t get the memo.

Duff: (Laughing) They didn’t get the memo. So anyhow.

Susan: Those jukeboxes.

Duff: Yeah.

Susan: Watch out for them, guys (laughs).

Duff: There was GN’R, Perhaps.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:38 pm

(Instagram, Aug. 18)
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:25 am

Soulmonster wrote:From Youtube:

Perhaps - Page 2 Uten_260
Updated with credits for mixing and mastering:

Interesting that, unlike Absurd and Hard Skool, Perhaps wasn't mixed by Caram Costanzo and that it was mastered by Bob Ludwig (who did the mastering for CD). Interestingly, Bob Ludwig announced his retirement a couple of months ago:
https://www.gatewaymastering.com/

So probably Perhaps (and possibly other GN'R tracks) were one of his last projects.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Voodoochild Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:28 pm

Blackstar wrote:2023_665.jpg

(Instagram, Aug. 18)
What. Weird cut?

I can't understand why people always have to complain about some of those technical stuff. It's like people on Digital Foundry's channel complaining about videogames that drop single frames or are not in 4K, while the biggest selling console is Nintendo's handheld that can barely hit the 720p resolution.
Voodoochild
Voodoochild

Plectra : 4424

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:18 am

Voodoochild wrote:
Blackstar wrote:2023_665.jpg

(Instagram, Aug. 18)

What. Weird cut?

I can't understand why people always have to complain about some of those technical stuff. It's like people on Digital Foundry's channel complaining about videogames that drop single frames or are not in 4K, while the biggest selling console is Nintendo's handheld that can barely hit the 720p resolution.

I think it has to do with flow. GN'R songs just have flow. They pick your hand and never let it go. Chinese era songs and these new (old) Axl songs do not always have that
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5497

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:04 am

Review in GSG Media:
------------------------

‘Perhaps’ by Guns N’ Roses – Single Rating: 4/5 ★★★★☆

Guns N’ Roses, the iconic heavy rockers, have once again stormed into the limelight with their latest single, ‘Perhaps’, a powerful and evocative track that will undoubtedly resonate deeply with fans. Released on August 18th, 2023, this single marks the third independent release since the thrilling reunion of the classic lineup.

‘Perhaps’ emerges from the depths of the Chinese Democracy era, an era synonymous with intrigue and anticipation. Dating back to the year 2000, the song’s demo remained hidden until its unexpected leak in 2019, leaving fans awestruck. Now, in 2023, the band has polished this gem into a finely crafted sonic experience that captures the essence of their signature sound.

The lyrics of ‘Perhaps’ delve into themes of self-discovery, regret, and the complexities of human emotions. A poignant exploration of hindsight and reconciliation, the song’s verses echo with introspection, as Axl Rose’s distinctive vocals convey a raw and earnest emotion. The chorus, adorned with the band’s trademark musicality, delivers a resounding message of isolation and the passage of time.

Guns N’ Roses masterfully blend the vintage with the contemporary on ‘Perhaps’. The song retains the raw energy and guitar-driven intensity that defined the band’s earlier hits, while also embracing a refined production quality that demonstrates their growth over the years. Also, the rhythm section’s unwavering power propels the track forward, infusing it with an undeniably catchy groove.

https://www.gsgmedia.co/guns-n-roses-perhaps
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:08 am

News article/review in The Music (Australia), Aug. 18:
-------------------------------------------------------

Guns N' Roses Drop New Single 'Perhaps'

Guns N’ Roses have just released a new single, Perhaps, which has been teased for the last week after phone footage of the band’s recent soundcheck (featuring the song) surfaced on YouTube.

Now, the song is officially out there and marks the first song that vocalist Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan have written and recorded together in 30 years.

Led by a piano and Rose’s signature wailing vocal, he stretches himself to the upper ranges of his vocal range for an epic tune that resembles the vibe of Chinese Democracy’s This I Love and the Use Your Illusion II classic, Estranged. You can listen to the track below.

As an Audacy press release notes – Audacy Rocks stations played the song all day on the 17th of August – Perhaps was “written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year”. In addition to that statement, the press release states that the single is the “first collective new composition and recording together in thirty years since 1993’s The Spaghetti Incident?”

Consequence Of Sound reports that Perhaps leaked last weekend (13 August) via TouchTunes jukeboxes in the US and other countries. [...]

https://themusic.com.au/news/guns-n-roses-drop-new-single-perhaps/xPB61tnY29o/18-08-23

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:29 am

News article/review in Stereogum:
-------------------------------------

Guns N’ Roses – “Perhaps”

By Tom Breihan

Guns N’ Roses are constantly teasing new music, and they’re slowly starting to make good on those teases. Last year, the band released their Hard Skool EP, their first new release since the 2008 comeback attempt Chinese Democracy. Today, they’ve come out with another new single, the long-anticipated “Perhaps.”

Like the two songs on Hard Skool, “Perhaps” dates back to Guns N’ Roses’ Chinese Democracy period; a demo of the track leaked years ago. And before the song was officially released, it leaked over the weekend via TouchTunes, the digital jukebox that’s available in many bars across the country.

Right now, GN’R are in the midst of a massive global stadium tour, and they’ve been heard soundchecking “Perhaps” before a couple of shows. It’s a bluesy rocker with a big riff and lyrics about resentment building up over time.

It’s going to be very, very difficult for new Guns N’ Roses music to meet the expectations surrounding the very idea of new Guns N’ Roses music, especially now that Slash and Duff McKagan are back in the band. But they’re trying! GN’R could continue to play stadiums forever without releasing a note of music, but still they tinker.

https://www.stereogum.com/2232756/guns-n-roses-perhaps/music/#card-comments-section
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:51 am

This is my own band, this is Guns N’ Roses, the song is Perhaps. We made a video for it, which is basically just live footage of us marauding through Europe, and I think it’s a really cool video. It just shows the band as it is right now, which is we’re kicking ass and we’re working really hard, but we’re staying like, you know, [we] are having a good time.
Three Chords & The Truth (Duff's radio show), August 31, 2023
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:20 pm

[After mentioning that the song has been revisited, reworked and rerecorded over the years since the time he joined the band] I’m thrilled with how [Perhaps] came out. It’s a great song — one of my favorite Guns N’ Roses songs. Lyrically, it’s very mature, and I think it’s some of Axl’s best work.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:10 pm

[After playing Perhaps] Oh, and by the way, I wasn't wrong, I'm just saying. It's a song, at the time we thought, perhaps. No, nah, I just wasn't
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:28 am

Writing credits from SESAC:

https://www.sesac.com/repertory/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:29 am

Are there are significant differences, songwriting-wise, between the demo of Perhaps and the studio version that was just released?

Meaning: why on earth are Slash and Duff credited as writers?

Also: can we say that Perhaps is an Rose/Tobias song?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:14 am

ludurigan wrote:Are there are significant differences, songwriting-wise, between the demo of Perhaps and the studio version that was just released?

I guess they got credited because of political/diplomatic/economic reasons. Not because their contributions are significant. The demo is very similar to the released version. Of course, Slash adds his spin to the verses and solo and Duff his own basslines - but to an existing song. So yeah, I would more consider it an Axl/Paul song.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:19 pm

ludurigan wrote:Are there are significant differences, songwriting-wise, between the demo of Perhaps and the studio version that was just released?

There's apparently a deal in place.

However, it's not that different than when Slash, Duff and Steven got writing credits for Hollywood Rose songs or GN'R songs that preceded them. For example, as far as we can tell from the rehearsal snippets of Don't Cry and Think About You with Tracii Guns and Rob Gardner, there were no significant differences with the released versions, aside from the solos.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:15 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
I guess they got credited because of political/diplomatic/economic reasons. Not because their contributions are significant. The demo is very similar to the released version. Of course, Slash adds his spin to the verses and solo and Duff his own basslines - but to an existing song. So yeah, I would more consider it an Axl/Paul song.

yes that's exactly what it seemed to me
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:16 pm

Blackstar wrote:
There's apparently a deal in place.

However, it's not that different than when Slash, Duff and Steven got writing credits for Hollywood Rose songs or GN'R songs that preceded them. For example, as far as we can tell from the rehearsal snippets of Don't Cry and Think About You with Tracii Guns and Rob Gardner, there were no significant differences with the released versions, aside from the solos.

yes!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: