APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Go down

1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Empty 1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Blackstar Fri 26 Jul 2019 - 6:39

Transcript:
----------------

Axl: I've never done anything like this before, so this will be kind of simple put together.

I've never really understood what the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was about, but tonight I'm getting an education, and I'm thankful for that. I've always considered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame kind of in my record collection, on my radio or now on MTV; but, more importantly, in our hearts and minds. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame honors the musicians who make the music, that not only becomes the soundtrack to our lives, but it actually helps us get through each day of our life.

And for myself, as well as many others, no one has been there more for inspiration than Elton John.  Also when we talk of great rock duos, like Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, John and Paul, Mick and Keith, I like to think of Elton John and Bernie Taupin.

Also tonight I think that Elton should be honored for his great work and contribution in the fight against AIDS; and also his bravery in exposing all the triumphs and tragedies of his personal life, and the knowledge of these things helps ourselves get through things every day.

When I first heard “Bennie and the Jets,” I knew at that time that I had to be a performer. So now a man, who in ways is responsible for more things than he ever planned on (laughs): Elton John.

----------------

Video from backstage:

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri 26 Jul 2019 - 17:50; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Empty Re: 1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Blackstar Fri 26 Jul 2019 - 6:41

Article about the event, Hartford Courant, January 21, 1994:

1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1994_021
1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1994_022

Transcript (excerpts):
---------------------------

[...]

McCartney, 51, said he was jet-lagged from his trip from England, which may explain why he did not join in the traditional jam at the end of the ceremony, where he had been scheduled to play Lennon’s “Come Together” with Elton John.

Because of all the starpower in the room, the replacements were just as stellar: Bruce Springsteen trading verses with Axl Rose, who avoided formal wear in helping to induct Elton John. Rose called John one of his biggest influences. “When I first heard ‘Bennie and the Jets,’ I knew I had to be a performer,” he said.

[...]

Elton John, whose date for the evening was drag diva RuPaul, shared his award with his longtime collaborator, lyricist Bernie Taupin, without whom he said there would be no John.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Empty Re: 1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Post by Blackstar Thu 25 Jun 2020 - 16:44

New York Daily News, January 21, 1994:

1994.01.19 - Axl's induction speech for Elton John at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 1994_081
THE NIGHTS OF WINE & ROSES

He may not be the most fragrant on the market, but Axl Rose has a blooming good time at the party that followed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. Above, he shows off a couple of American beauties: at left, model Jennifer Driver, and another blonde rounds out the bunch.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down