APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.09.DD - Hey Hey It's Saturday (Australian TV) - Interview with Slash and Gilby

Go down

1992.09.DD - Hey Hey It's Saturday (Australian TV) - Interview with Slash and Gilby Empty 1992.09.DD - Hey Hey It's Saturday (Australian TV) - Interview with Slash and Gilby

Post by Blackstar Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:25 am

Original sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu9OAkHYL_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7bFmqONfWI

Transcript:
---------------

Interviewer: ... Guns N’ Roses, I would say - they’re definitely coming out here in February and that’s really good news. I caught up with Guns N’ Roses in Phoenix, Arizona - Slash and Gilby. And I asked Slash when did he start playing guitar. This is what he said.

Slash: When I first started really playing was when I was about 14-15 years old. And then I got into actually hands-on being a musician. But the rest of the time I was, like, into the Who and, you know, Phoebe Snow – all kinds of stuff. That was just around the house, you know, day-to-day listening.

[Clip from November Rain video]

Slash: Inevitable meeting of the mind, so to speak. We just happened to end up with each other and start – our influences all were more or less the same and we just naturally fell into the relationship that we have.

Interviewer: Australia waits for you to come out again.

Slash: We’re coming out.

Interviewer: Yeah?

Slash: Yeah.

Slash: Gilby came down. He learned 30 songs in three weeks.

Interviewer: Really?

Slash: He didn’t do a day job. That was like initiation. Now he’s like family, we don’t think about it anymore.

Interviewer: Your first, very first impression when you were asked by Slash to join the Guns.

Gilby: My first thing was like – almost like relief, after pounding, you know, L.A. clubs and touring America and stuff. And then, you know, everybody in town knew that they were looking for a guitar player, and when he called, I was like, “Yes!”

Gilby: And it’s like, I was going to see Izzy’s new band. That’s why I went to see the band, “Let’s go see Izzy’s new band,” you know? And then I met and talked to Axl a few times. Honestly, I really didn’t know Slash and Duff at all. I had known Matt because him and I had played so many clubs together for years and years on end. And so, when this call came, it was kinda cool, cuz at least when I got to go down, you know, I had known Matt fairly well. So, no matter what was going out with everybody else, I can always, like, go to Matt: (whispers) “What’s going on?” (laughs)

Interviewer: As I said, Guns N’ Roses will possibly be coming out here in January/February and it looks like they’ll be doing big outdoor concerts; and I certainly hope so, because they’re one of the great bands. But, Axl, which seems to have a change of mind, because Axl was known as homophobic, and he was seen at the MTV Awards with Elton John playing piano. Have a look at this. This is incredible. Elton John with Guns N’ Roses.

[Clip from the performance at the 1992 MTV Awards]

Interviewer: The big news also, of course, is that Elton and the boys are coming out in February. Do not be surprised if you see Elton John and [cut]
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down