APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2005.04.17 - San Francisco Chronicle - Pop Quiz: Duff McKagan

Go down

2005.04.17 - San Francisco Chronicle - Pop Quiz: Duff McKagan Empty 2005.04.17 - San Francisco Chronicle - Pop Quiz: Duff McKagan

Post by Blackstar Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:52 pm

POP QUIZ: DUFF MCKAGAN OF VELVET REVOLVER

By Aidin Vaziri

When the ramshackle cast of Velvet Revolver was first announced -- Duff McKagan, Slash and Matt Sorum of Guns N' Roses, singer Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots and Dave Kushner -- people hardly expected the rock super group to make it past the gates of the rehab clinic, let alone onto the concert stage. Yet, so far, the band's first album, "Contraband," which debuted at No. 1 on the album charts, has sold 1.62 million copies in the United States. Last month, the band graduated to playing arenas, including the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, where it plays Tuesday. We spoke with McKagan..

Q: Let's get the big question out of the way first. What's going on with the Guns N' Roses album "Chinese Democracy"?

A: You know what? You probably know more than I would. I really have no idea. I've been so busy after leaving Guns N' Roses. I went up to Seattle, went to school and started having babies. And then this band popped up..

Q: Do you even want to hear it?

A: Not particularly. But I wish they would get it out after all this time..

Q: Do you think it's taking so long because it sucks?

A: Well, you know, spontaneity and rock 'n' roll go together. And chemistry. It comes back to the old adage: If it takes you more than five minutes to write a song, then just scrap it. I don't know. Axl Rose is a very, very fickle guy, and he changes his mind all the time. So who knows?.

Q: Meanwhile, you hit rock bottom and are already back in the arenas.

A: I never considered it rock bottom. I never went into any sort of depression when I left Guns N' Roses. I just went into a new band and started playing. I went to college, which was something I always wanted to do. And I started having babies, which is definitely not hitting bottom..

Q: I know you played in Neurotic Outsiders. Weren't you also in another band called 10-something?

A: Was I? My long-term memory is pretty screwed..

Q: And you got into kickboxing and granola. You must save a lot of money on backstage "provisions" now.

A: Yeah, it's quite a different scene. There's not a bunch of booze, and no one is trying to score drugs. It's much more about the music and reacting to the crowd..

Q: I remember that band name now: 10 Minute Warning.

A: Oh, 10-Minute Warning! There you go. Yeah, I did do that. That's right. I should listen to that record more often. It was a good record. I don't think I even own a copy..

Q: Has your college education been helpful?

A: Absolutely. I really notice people are a little bit scared of me in meetings. They don't know how much I know. Even back when I was getting f -- up I was never dumb. That's a big thing I missed out on for almost 10 years. There were times I would pick up a book, but I was so f -- up I couldn't see the words on the page. That's pretty brutal. Now I'm a daily reader..

Q: How weird is it to go through all this again?

A: Oh, there are times when Slash and I look at each other onstage and the crowd is going crazy and it's like, "F -- , dude. We did it again." It doesn't happen very often. But it's pretty great. People tell us we saved rock 'n' roll..

Q: I just wish your pancreas was here to enjoy it.

A: No, it's here. That's why I'm here. My pancreas expanded and burst, but I made it through that and realized I was given a second chance. I saw myself from above the bed. I realized I'm here for a reason. There's a lot out there that I haven't even come close to experiencing yet.

https://www.sfgate.com/music/popquiz/article/POP-QUIZ-DUFF-MCKAGAN-OF-VELVET-REVOLVER-2641129.php
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down