APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2013.03.04/11 - Dropping the Needle podcast - Interview with Alan Niven

Go down

2013.03.04/11 - Dropping the Needle podcast - Interview with Alan Niven Empty 2013.03.04/11 - Dropping the Needle podcast - Interview with Alan Niven

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:12 am

In episode 43, March 4, 2013, of the Dropping The Needle podcast. In this episode Michael Brandvold and Mitch Lafon return to speak with former Guns N' Roses manager Alan Niven. This time it is ALL Guns N' Roses. Over one hour spent talking about the birth on Guns N' Roses right up to just when the band is about to break big. Keith Richards speaking with Slash about his leaving GNR. Who is the heart of the soul of GNR. His reaction to Slash trying out for Poison. Why, who and how they released and distributed Live Like a Suicide. The fake controversy of the album cover. The fake controversy the first time GNR went to England. And, the relationship with Geffen Records as things started to grow for the band.

In episode 44, March 11, 2013, of the Dropping The Needle podcast. In this episode Michael Brandvold and Mitch Lafon return to speak with former Guns N' Roses manager Alan Niven. Alan takes us inside the contract renegotiation with Geffen Records and so much more.

Transcript of March 4, 2013, episode:

Mitch Lafon: Alan Niven claims John Kalodner candied up their asses. Find out who on this episode of Dropping The Needle.

Voice-over: You're listening to Dropping The Needle, the podcasts where all music from all genres is discussed, new releases, classic albums rediscovered ,music signed and unsigned, no ass-kissing, just two guys talking about music. Here are your hosts Michael Brandvold from Michael Brandvold Marketing and Mitch Lafon.

Michael Brandvold: Everybody, welcome back to another episode of Dropping The Needle, the podcast that's been described as if Beavis and Butthead ever had a...

ML: I'm Beavis.

Michael Brandvold: Hey everybody, welcome back to another episode of Dropping The Needle, the podcast that's been described as if Beavis and Butthead ever had their own podcast, this would be it.  I'm one of your co-hosts, Michael Brandvold from MichaelBrandvold.com and as always I am joined by that world-renowned illustrious superstar rock journalist, in his own mind, Mitch Lafon. You do admit-

ML: That's right! And I'm doing well. Doing so well.

MB: So we have got part two of Alan Niven.

ML: Yes.

MB: We we had him on.... I don't know, about a month ago where he talked about Great White. He was gonna just be a guest and talk about everything but we quickly realized we couldn't cover everything in his career in a 45 minute episode so we stuck to Great White, he said he'd come back and talk GN'R with us so this is the Guns N' Roses episode and Alan has promised to talk about everything basically. I'm really looking forward to sitting down and picking his brain and getting the stories of the formation of the band and how management started and the birth of Guns N' Roses.

ML: Yeah, well, also the creation of Guns N' Roses is that there's a lot of sort of behind the scenes manipulation going on that has been sort of rumored over the years and and I'm looking forward to asking him about that quite frankly.

MB: Yeah, yeah, you know, I'm always intrigued by the behind the scenes business of music so-

ML: Yeah, because what fans see and what actually goes on it are two very completely different things. I mean, it really is all the smoke and mirrors, I mean whether you like U2 or Bruce Springsteen or KISS there's always something going on in the back everybody fan doesn't know of.

MB: Yeah, I've always assumed that everything that happens was planned to happen, it wasn't a freak chance that this great thing happened or this interesting controversy happened. Always assume everything happened because it was planned to happen.

ML: That's why people in marketing firms get the big bucks because there's a lot of marketing plans involved in an album release.

MB: Better marketing plans are the ones that happen and you sit back and think it was just a spur-of-the-moment viral street uprising when the reality was it was planned by some corporation and they really pulled the wool over your eyes.

ML: Yeah, yeah, listen, you know, it goes back to that old saying: control the medium, control the message. And that's what a lot of these record companies do and news gathering places, they all control this and you think, "Wow! Look at this great dirty rock-and-roll band!" Well guess what, somebody said in a boardroom somewhere, "You need to be a dirty rock'n'roll band," "Here's how we're gonna make it dirty-"

MB: "And we're gonna spend a million dollars to make you dirty."

ML: Right, well that's exactly it, you know, and they-

MB: Go buy some new wardrobe to make them look dirty.

ML: So I'm hoping, I'm hoping with Alan we'll get him to unveil some of that because I know he likes it talk honestly and frankly so this is gonna be great. We'll call him up.

MB: Hopefully we'll find out some of the stories around the the creation and the birth of Guns N' Roses. Anyway, so let's get started on our chat with Alan today.

[clip]

ML: So we're we're back with Alan Niven who gave the world Great White, took him a few years to get that going, but he gave us Guns N' Roses, a band that put out three or four albums under his reign but yet has been in the public eye for 30 years now about... it never ends, greatest thing alive, right Alan?

Alan Niven: Greatest thing alive? But in terms of something being alive, I know that Slash is playing in Nottingham tonight and he's being very kind and being sociable with our boy Chris Buck there, they're hanging out together as we speak.

MB: So you are still on good terms with Slash then?

AN: I love him. I think he's a wonderful person. Fame of that kind it's an extraordinary thing to take on, suffer, deal with, and joy, whatever, and there's no warning of what you're gonna have to deal with. There's a line in a Joe Walsh song about people changing and Joe Walsh staying the same and that's very much kind of the experience you go, that peoples' behavior patterns around you changes as no sorority or attention intensifies but I think Slash has dealt with being Slash with remarkable grace. I think he's done it with style and I think he's a really, really good person, really centered and you can't say that for everybody who's been through that experience.

MB: How about the rest of the band members? Are you in contact with any of the other guys?

AN: Izzy came out out here to Arizona and visited once not so long ago. He's like the Flying Dutchman, you know, occasionally he'll emerge out of the mists of Nova and you'll go, "Oh! it's great to see you, good to see-" and then he'll disappear again and you're not quite sure if he really does exist or he's really a mythology of himself.

MB: Then Duff?

AN: Duff... the last time I actually saw Duff was when The Project was being put together which became Velvet Revolver and Duff and Slash very kindly invited me to be involved with that but for a number of reasons I thought it was a bad idea, not least of which I thought we were placing an extremely high bar of expectation in every aspect to convene everybody except Axl and I didn't think that was appropriate. And  to be perfectly honest, at the time there were one or two things that I wanted to do myself and I didn't have the sense or drive and focus that they would have required. I was also a little apprehensive about Izzy's commitment which I thought would be essential because to me Izzy is the... he's the heart of the soul of Guns N' Roses.

MB: Really? So why is that? I mean, I think a lot of people, just general fans, just fans would think the heart and soul is either Slash or Axl.

AN: I could give you a... I've just woken up from a nap so I can give you a really low sugar ridiculous analogy on that if you like. You know, they might be the big two big boobies on the front but Izzy was the heart beating in the chest.

ML: There you go.

AN: Now obviously both Slash and Axl are frontman per se but Izzy was the one who for me embodied the attitude, who is the most consistent and best writer, he had a wonderful sense of rhythm as far as his rhythm playing guitarists concerned, there was a sense of rock-and-roll syncopation in his expression that was perfect, the very first time I saw GN'R it was actually Izzy and Duff on their side of the stage who intrigued me more than anybody else, they just were beautifully centered and just had the sense of magnetism and I'm trying to avoid using word 'cool' but it was just the essence of cool from those two.

ML: You know, if we're speaking about the beginning, can we start there? Before Slash joins Guns N' Roses, he tries out for Poison. Has he ever talked to you about that try-out?

[laughter]

AN: Mitch, do you want me talk about all your girlfriend's [?]

MB: Yes, we want to hear about all the girlfriends.

ML: We do! But let's talk about Slash playing Talk Dirty To Me, I mean, come on, that's got to be great. I mean, has he ever mentioned anything to you about... I mean, he must have, he must have said something.

AN: Certainly not... often between gentlemen there is a sense of discretion. You're not gonna bring up all those relationships that are obviously, and plainly obviously, wrong.

[laughter]

AN: It's like being invited to be the best man at the wedding and you're standing there and all that's happening is that you're running through your head every terrible story you've heard about the bride, you know-

ML: That's true.

AN: [?]

ML: But when you first get involved with Guns N' Roses is it the lineup that we got to know as, you know, the Appetite for Destruction lineup or were you there when Tracii Guns was there?

AN: No, I got involved in the summer of '86.

ML: Okay.

AN: So the lineup was the lineup that everybody associates and sees as Guns N' Roses and you know I'll be... I'll express my opinion, I think Axl fronts at this point the most lucrative cover band in the world and that's not to say that, you know, I don't think Ron Thal is a great player and a really cool guy but it's not Guns N' Roses. Sorry.

ML: But a lot of bands change members also, but well-

AN: Yes, yes, no, I mean... you know Keith Richards took Slash out for dinner one night and told him that he really needed to think through his relationship with Axl and that the last thing that he should do is leave Axl. And basically, his pitch was, "You should love Guns N' Roses more and respect what it means to the fans to have this frontline that everybody has connected to and associates with," you know. And obviously Slash looked at Keith and said, "You have no idea," I mean Keith turned around, you know, and basically said, "You know, I dislike Jagger as much as you dislike Axl but I love the Rolling Stones more." Slash still said, "You have no idea." So... what was the question again? You lost me there.

ML: The question was, were you involved at the time when Tracii was involved. But we should explore the Axl and Slash relationship eventually but-

MB: Yeah, but back to the beginning, I want to say at the beginning- I would love to start with how you became involved with Guns N' Roses? Because as I understand it, you vehemently were like, "No, I don't want to work with these guys," a couple times?

AN: Yeah, it... you know, it's pretty well-known history but I was basically asked three times by Tom Zutaut, on three separate occasions, if I'd talk to the band. The first time he had just signed them and at that point I didn't want to get involved in a cattle call of management. I had no particular [?] for that. Besides which, it had taken me a year and a half to get Great White back onto a label and get that project moving as it should be and I didn't... having been through the process of being signed and then dropped I definitely valued the fact that the band were resigned and the last thing I was going to do was scatter my attention and energies, so that would be a problem that I really had to keep on at to make sure that went as it should. The second time Zoots came he was obviously having a problem getting somebody to take the band seriously and the one or two people he had been able to get to take the band seriously were a little scared off by them. Tim Collins comes to mind, who was Aerosmith's management. By that time, I'd done a little bit of research into the band and the very last thing I was going to do with my life's energies was hook them on to that kind of chaotic, disastrous, self-destructive, arrogant, ridiculous, out-of-control idiocy, so I said, "Thank you very much for considering me again and thank you." And Zutaut came back and he said, "Look, I'm in a real mess." I was aware of the fact that Rosenblatt was, who is president of Geffen, was thinking of dropping the band and Tom basically said, "Look, this might be the end of my career, I really need help," and I said, "Well on that basis, you know, yeah I'll go and talk to them, not gonna make any promises, and see if we can connect and see if we can get anything done."

ML: Let me ask you quickly about that, though, you know bands come and go from labels all the time and it doesn't mean it's the end of anybody's career, why was he particularly concerned about this? Because he had spent a lot of money on them? Because he needed a hit?

AN: No, it was high-profile. It was a high-profile signing for him. They had already gone through approximately $75,000 in cash advances, they didn't have any releasable masters recorded at that point, the band's reputation for being.... being a rock and roll band, in my eyes, or less than career orientated-

MB: Less than professional.

AN: They weren't Boston.

ML: Let me ask you about that. If they don't have any masters, they don't have anything that's recorded that's worth releasing, why does a label throws... I mean there's a lot of fans out there that don't understand this process, why give them 75 thousand? I mean, if you don't think they're worth it, why give it to them?

AN: Well obviously they did things that were worth it in the first...

ML: Okay.

AN: You know, from the get-go. What they found was that they weren't very easy to deal with, they weren't very easy to organize and there were... I'm pretty sure when you when you've got Eddie Rosenblatt sitting in his office and somebody comes in and says, "We want to sign this band," and they talk about it, discuss it and so on and so forth and he rubber-stamped signing and then now once they're signed he's living with them, it's a totally different experience. Now, now he's getting to deal with it, you know, at least second hand to the third hand [?].

MB: Were there at this time when Tom Zutaut was coming back to you for the third time, were they being managed by Rod Stewart's management company at that time?

AN: Yes, they were and they were desperate to get out. They had rented a house for them up in the hills and that's where I went basically to have my first meeting with the band. And it was what under normal circumstances would be a pretty decent house.

ML: Had you heard any music at this point or were you just going to meet these guys?

AN: No, no, I'd seen... by the time I went to have a meeting with them I'd always been to a couple of shows, I had music, you know.

ML: And how were you reacting to the music? I mean, did you think this was phenomenal or this needed a whole lot of tweaking or this, "Well, it's okay, it'll pass"?

AN: I thought it was really rough-edged, especially for the time period. I had a great deal of skepticism as to how radio would deal with it. I thought that if we could get organized and establish some degree of professionalism to the point where we could actually tour we had a really good shot of having a really good and worthwhile underground rock and roll band. The demos that I heard at that point indicated to me that Slash was a really, really promising player.

MB: What was the very first demo you heard from them?

AN: There were several tracks on there, things like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Move to the City, Mama Kin, off the top of my head.

ML: Yeah, we have to talk about the Live Like A Suicide album at some point, or should we just go with it now? Do you know that story, Michael?

MB: Oh yeah, but, you know, I'm sure many of our listeners don't.

AN: I thought we were just getting to the point where I went to my first meeting-

MB: Yeah, don't jump ahead Mitch!

AN: -and I get off my motorbike and the first thing I see is a smashed toilet outside the front door. Front door opens and this rather well-known stripper comes out the front door and there I'm getting my first impression of GN'R.

MB: And it only got better!

AN: Apparently so.

MB: So after that first meeting, did it take any more arm-twisting to get you on board or did you finally just say, "You know what? Alright I'll do this for you Tom. I see there's something here"?  When you said, "Yes," were you still doing it more as a favor to Tom or did you finally say, "You know what, there's something I could do with this band"?

AN: No, I couldn't just do it for Tom, there had to be some sort of engagement of personality and, you know, for example at that very first band meeting I went to, only two members of the band turned up. One of which nodded out at the table, that was Izzy, he nodded out at the table which just left me with Slash. And, you know, Slash then took me to meet his snake and I'm pathological fear of snakes, you know. And when you're dealing with characters like that it becomes a little bit engaging, entertaining. Axl was always aloof and not always gracious. Duff affected a punk intimidation, he exuded a sense of punk integrity but was a really, really soft and wonderful guy. I couldn't figure out Steven Adler in the band, you know, because he was this shaggy hair metal drummer who was just like a puppy and how he fitted with the personalities was a conundrum. But it was a very interesting group.

MB: So after that first meeting you said, "Yes, I'll take these guys on"?

AN: Yeah, I mean, the process was a little bit longer-

MB: A little longer, but that's essentially what came out of it?

AN: Yeah, I like a challenge too and a partner I had at the time when I played him the demos expressed the opinion that I could go down into the San Fernando Valley, pick any house, it's got a garage on with kids inside it, doing garage band, and in his estimation in all likelihood they'd be better than this band. And I thought, "Really now?" That's an interesting polarizing attitude. We'll see.

ML: But musically back then they were a little sort of loosey-goosey, I mean, you had to mold them once you got them to the studio, no?

AN: No, my biggest responsibility of all was to let them be themselves and keep the...you know, you're dealing with Geffen, you're dealing with the likes of John Kalodner and, you know, John Kalodner to me is somebody who has taken Aerosmith and just candied up their asses as best he could to make them a super market-safe as possible and sell our assets out.

ML: And he did the same with Great White later on, around 92 or 95 or something like that.

AN: Yeah, he was trying to stick it to me and prove he could do something without me but we know where that went. But bear in mind that I, you know, in the 70s I was at Virgin and I well remember the Sex Pistols coming onto the label and, you know, late '76, early '77. Edgy rock and roll. I mean, you know, you need somebody to be carrying that torch at some point all the time. Did I think that GN'R would be a standard bearer for the edge? Possibly but not in the extraordinary way and to the dimensions that they did. If anybody ever tells you that they knew that Appetite was going to be the seller it was, they're a liar or certifiable. You know, the fact that that records sold that many records, no one saw that coming.

MB: So you're on board as manager, what's the next step with the band in relationship to Geffen? Then what happens? You know, because me I love the... I'm not so much into the TMZ 'Who was sleeping with who' stories, I'm really intrigued by the behind the business stuff. So, you know, what was going on in the record label now that you came on board?

AN: Well the first most important thing was to get people to turn up for rehearsal and actually start working on pre-production for the record. I mean, I can remember a couple of early meetings where it was a less than brilliant conversation with Axl because he either didn't turn up or turned up really late, you know, what's new? You know everybody asks, "Did Axl get worse?" No, Axl was always Axl.

MB: I liked that, "Did he get worse? No."

AN: He was always Axl. The only thing that money and fame did was amplifying, just amplified all his personality traits and his behavior. So that was the first thing on my agenda, was to make sure that there was some regularity in getting into it si are working through

the songs making sure the songs was were

you know as best they were going to be

and getting a fix on or on a on a

recording day did you have a producer

yet was Mike link on board uh well I

mean [ __ ] it's 20 years ago um 30

almost yeah I know mama says you know

don't cast negative opinions if you the

first thing two of the first things I

had to do when getting on board was

actually housekeeping and the first

thing I had to do was get the band away