APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2015.11.08 - Bass Frontiers Magazine - Interview with Duff

Go down

2015.11.08 - Bass Frontiers Magazine - Interview with Duff Empty 2015.11.08 - Bass Frontiers Magazine - Interview with Duff

Post by Blackstar Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:33 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down

2015.11.08 - Bass Frontiers Magazine - Interview with Duff Empty Re: 2015.11.08 - Bass Frontiers Magazine - Interview with Duff

Post by Blackstar Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:26 am

Excerpts from Blabbermouth:
---------------------------------

Bass Frontiers magazine recently conducted an interview with former Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan. You can now watch the chat in three parts below.

Speaking about Guns N' Roses' early days, Duff said: "I'd seen [Axl] in L.A. Guns. But it was at The Troubadour [in West Hollywood]. I got there late and saw a couple of songs. And it was just like a bull loose in the ring. It was, like, 'What the hell?' And he was different. He wasn't metal, and he wasn't punk; he was like his own thing. And I identified with that. But [we got together] at this rehearsal place and he got on a mic to sort of check the P.A. and he had two voices coming out. It was kind of a low undertone and this really high, strong voice. And he was serious. He moved from Indiana, Izzy moved from Indiana, I moved from Seattle. We weren't here to jam. We weren't here to be in a high school band. We wanted to start something and mean it. And when those five guys — Steven and Slash, Izzy, Axl and myself — got in a room the first time, it was so apparent. We'd all been in other bands where there was always one weak link. There was always that one weak link up until that point. And when you've been playing since you were 13, by the time you're 20, you feel that you're a real seasoned veteran. You've toured, you've played gigs and you're not fucking around. And so I took learning to play bass and being… We all took it really seriously. Steven and I would play together. We just lived for it. And Steven and I would play to Cameo, for Steven to get that groove. And that influenced the back groove on 'Appetite For Destruction'. That's all from playing to Cameo, Sly And The Family Stone. Just kind of playing along to probably some cassette. And then we played ourselves, and we developed grooves. And he really became probably the best small-kit groove drummer there ever was. No rack toms. [Just] a floor tom and a snare. A floor tom and a snare and a kick drum, hi-hat… cowbell. But all you got at that point is groove. Your groove's gotta be deep, or go home. And he had a great groove."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-looks-back-on-guns-n-roses-early-days-video
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85486

Back to top Go down