APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

3 posters

Go down

2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Empty 2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Post by Soulmonster Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:59 am

2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Index12

November 25, 2018
Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Chinese Democracy
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. Double Talkin' Jive
06. Better
07. Estranged
08. Attitude
09. Shadow of Your Love
10. Slither
11. Rocket Queen
Band introductions.
Slash guitar solo segueing into Theme from Godfather
12. Sweet Child O' Mine
13. Wichita Lineman
Jam - Wish You Were Here
14. November Rain (with Layla intro)

Date:
November 25, 2018.

Venue:
Du Arena.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Slash: Lead and rhythm guitar, and backing vocals
Richard Fortus: Rhythm and lead guitar, and backing vocals
Duff Mckagan: Bass and backing vocals
Dizzy Reed: Piano and backing vocals
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Melissa Reese: Keyboard and backing vocals

Poster:
(Artist: Jose Maria Campoy)

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed May 01, 2019 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Empty Re: 2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Post by Blackstar Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:59 am

The show ended early because Axl was feeling very ill. Let's hope it's not anything serious.

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Empty Re: 2018.11.25 - Du Arena, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Post by Blackstar Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:01 am

Review: Guns N’ Roses start well, then, well...
Curtailed performance leaves fans wondering where the hits were

Chris Newbould
November 26, 2018

Guns N’ Roses returned to the UAE on Sunday to close the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, and this time frontman Axl Rose brought most of the band with him, rather than the troupe of session musicians he’s been touring with since the band split acrimoniously over two decades ago.

Notoriously publicity-shy original rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin’ remains elusive, reportedly over the financial offer he received to join the Guns N’ Roses reunion, while original drummer Steven Adler, who has guested at a number of G n’R shows in recent times, was not on the menu for the Abu Dhabi gig, which closed the Asian leg of a tour that has now lasted almost three years.

At close to an average of $4m per gig, you can see why the three remaining members - Rose himself, legendary guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan - are dragging things out.

The pre-reformation version of Guns N’ Roses had garnered something of a reputation for, shall we say, an unhurried approach to gig timings, but there were no such concerns tonight. We were barely through the gates for the band’s scheduled 9pm start when the gang appeared on stage, and started strongly, ripping into It’s So Easy, from 1987’s seminal album Appetite for Destruction.

The old energy was very much there. Rose has put on a few pounds, but McKagan looked remarkably chipper for a man who has had his fair share of health issues, while Slash didn’t appear to have changed in the slightest. Then again, it’s not entirely clear whether Slash is an actual human being or a symbol. The top hat, the Lennon sunglasses, the mop of curly hair, the Les Paul guitar. The man is a collection of imagery, surely, not a mere mortal creature?

The crowd were immediately convinced. Mr Brownstone from the same album followed and shortly afterwards, when Slash made the most of a histrionically extended intro to Welcome to the Jungle, the audience were eating out of the band’s hands and it seemed they could do no wrong.

But they did. They embarked on a decidedly take-it-or-leave-it mid-section (or so we thought) to their set that saw them playing a mix of songs from their less successful later albums, tracks from the members’ numerous side projects, and several covers – not the covers they are known for such as Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door, Live and Let Die or Mama Kin, but tracks like Jimmy Webb’s Wichita Linesman, which didn’t suit Rose’s voice in the slightest, and gave the distinct impression they’d be better off sticking to hard rock.

We were happy to put this down to saving the best for last initially, but as more and more of the set became a collection of unfamiliar covers and showboating guitar solos from the undoubtedly talented Slash, the audience began to turn, and a steady stream were leaving the arena by the set’s midway point.

I love The Godfather, but is a five-minute guitar solo cover of its theme tune really something we need to hear from a band that hasn’t performed this close to its original line-up for almost three decades?

Things did pick up from a reception perspective when the band launched into their global smash Sweet Child O’Mine, and the “Guns N’ Roses goes prog rock” theatrics of November Rain were equally well received, and given unexpected poignancy by the unseasonal November rain. And then it stopped.

To give Rose credit, he did explain mid-set that he had been vomiting for much of the afternoon, and spent several hours on a drip prior to the gig so as not to cancel, which is commendable, and certainly a world away from the diva-ish behaviour that used to characterise his several-hours-late appearances.

If the singer was ill, then respect is due for his appearance at all, but perhaps the band could have factored this into their set list? They essentially seemed to play as much as Rose could get through of the set list from previous gigs on the tour, in much the same order, stopping when Rose had enough. So the low-key middle section we assumed was building up to more of the classics ended up as the crescendo.

Much like their 1991 double album Use Your Illusion, which a friend recently noted could have been one really good album, but was instead two really long albums, some prioritising could have helped. Cut some of the covers and solos from the middle, give the crowd what they want, maybe?

In fairness, the band played for close to two hours, which lesser bands would never achieve, especially with a sick singer, but there was no encore, and thus no Paradise City, no Night Train, no Live and Let Die ( a rare occasion where a cover improves on the original). In short, the gig began well, but ended, quite simply, underwhelmingly.

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/review-guns-n-roses-start-well-then-well-1.795947
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit79 Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:51 am

I don’t get the criticism of the UYI’s being too long with too many filler songs. If they asked me to thin out all of the songs to just twelve for one album - I wouldn’t be able to. I want all of them. So I’m grateful they released them all in one go, who knows what would’ve happened to any kept back.

I hope Axl is feeling much better now Smile
Misfit79
Misfit79

Plectra : 2279

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 am

Misfit79 wrote:I don’t get the criticism of the UYI’s being too long with too many filler songs. If they asked me to thin out all of the songs to just twelve for one album - I wouldn’t be able to. I want all of them. So I’m grateful they released them all in one go, who knows what would’ve happened to any kept back.

I hope Axl is feeling much better now Smile

Same. I don't like all the Illusions songs equally, but I'm glad that they released all of them.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Misfit79 Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am

Axl just tweeted - he must be feeling more himself again as it’s a pretty long tweet Very Happy

No digs at Trump mind - so maybe he’s not all better yet haha!
Misfit79
Misfit79

Plectra : 2279

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:35 pm

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:39 pm

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:45 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:46 pm

Melissa on Instagram:
My #pregame in #abudhabi before our #show after the #f1 race Wink...#amazing and #crazy crowd tonight!!! ***ON ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE!!! I have to add - #Axl was a complete beast tonight - despite being so so sick 🤮🤢🤧 , he persevered with such grace and managed to front a *killer* 2 hour show. I’m floored by how committed he is to the fans and to what we do every night we play, but it’s times like these when you really see what someone is made of. Im just so proud and honored to be in this band, and am in awe of him for digging deeper than I’ve ever seen to give what he gave in the show tonight!!! .
#We had so much fun as always, albeit shorter.... But short and sweet was rad in Abu Dhabi Smile)) #thankyou #love #show #showtime #happiness #cantstopwontstop #beauty #friends #fam #music #gunsnroses #gnr #m&ms #haribo #candy #sugarhigh #bootymust @lovebootymust #fit I love youI love youI love you

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqntdy4jx_s/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:37 am

Article in Blabbermouth, Nov. 25, 2018:
Guns N' Roses Cuts Abu Dhabi Concert Short After Axl Rose Becomes 'Severely Ill'

Guns N' Roses played an abbreviated in the United Arab Emirates Sunday night (November 25) after frontman Axl Rose became "severely ill."

Rose and his bandmates performed almost 20 songs in Abu Dhabi before cutting the show short.

The singer addressed his medical condition at one point during the concert, telling the crowd (see video below): "They've got me on IVs and a bunch of injections, 'cause I got sick today, I've been throwing up for about the last five hours. So, instead of canceling, I'm gonna do the best show we can for you."

Bassist Duff McKagan later tweeted: "Thank you Abu Dhabi! @axlrose pulled a damn miracle…the man was beyond ill, and pulled off something I've never seen in my 40 yrs of playing. You all pulled him thru. Til next time!"

Guitarist Slash wrote on his Twitter account: "Abu Dhabi, you guys were fucking great tonight! Axl was severely ill. But you all were hugely supportive. Thanks for that. We'll see again next time! Cheers!"

Not everybody was satisfied with Axl's explanation, with one fan responding to McKagan's tweet: "Shame you only played about 10 songs, disgrace."

Another fan wrote: "Shouldve stayed in his sick bed! How many hits!? and 1 1/2 hours to play Sweet Child & then Eric Clapton!! Glad I didn't pay otherwise I'd be asking for a refund!! @gunsnroses."

A third fan said: "So that's how you end a tour @Slash @DuffMcKagan @axlrose @gunsnroses ? No patience, night train or paradise city? Disappointed! And you played so well!"

The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix special closed the Asian leg of Guns N' Roses' "Not In This Lifetime" tour that has now lasted almost three years. According to The National, the gig was the 157th night of a 31-month jaunt, which went around the world twice, played to five million people and is on track to be the second highest-grossing tour of all time — overtaking even The Rolling Stones. Only U2 has grossed more from a single tour than GN'R's projected earnings of $600 million.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-cuts-abu-dhabi-concert-short-after-axl-rose-becomes-severely-ill
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:51 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down