APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2018.09.04 - NatterNet - Interview with Brain

Go down

2018.09.04 - NatterNet - Interview with Brain  Empty 2018.09.04 - NatterNet - Interview with Brain

Post by Soulmonster Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:26 am

Long interview where he also talks about his period in GN'R.

Transcript of Guns N' Roses parts:

About touring in Japan:

Brain: So it's like, you know, it's reserved. But you know, when I played it with Guns N' Roses or with Bucket, you know, they would file in a single line, watch the show, clap, go crazy. Then all stand up, file out in a single line. No one would pass someone, you know [...] They go crazy, but it's all like, you know [...] it's all like kind of premeditated. Like, "Okay, here's the song that we get to go crazy on and then we'll stop."

[...]

Interviewer: So how did you come to meet Bucket? Because obviously he was in the Shake It video with Maximum Bob. So how did you come to meet him?

Brain: Well, I met Bucket through this guy named Joe Gore, who I was in a band with after the Limbo's broke up, I ended up getting in this band. There was this world beat scene happening in San Francisco, which was like made up of like, I think a core of, I think three or four bands, the Looters, Big City, The Freaky Executives... And I think there was one more, I can't remember. But I joined this band called Big City and the guitar player was this guy named Joe Gore, and Joe became the editor of Guitar Player magazine. And we were living in the city, still in the Limbos kind of, but it was kind of flailing and breaking up and Joe was like, "Hey, this guy sent a tape, you know, and his name is Buckethead and this guy named Maximum Bob sent it. And it's like a pretty funny video. But this guy's shredding, Brain, you got to check this guy out." And I was like, "What do you mean?" He's like, "Here, let's plop it in." And it was VHS. He puts it in, and it's Maximum Bob yelling to Paul Schaefer going, "Paul, you're going to have to get this guy to play in your band. He's something. He's like, you got to check him out." And there was this dude playing guitar like I had never seen anybody play it, yeah, pretty much like, you know, the shredding quickness and the athleticism of like an Yngwie, the scales and stuff of like computer music like Star Wars, you know, weird-

Interviewer: -like arcade game machines that-

Brain: Yeah, like game machines meets metal meets, you know, Disneyland. And I was just like, "Whoa! I've never heard that sound before." You know, like it's like, you know, when you know exactly where you're sitting every time when you hear an amazing piece of music or an album. The first time I remember when I first heard Eddie Van Halen, where exactly where I was, when I heard Fishbone, some of my favorite bands, the Chili Peppers, you know, when I was growing up. And yeah, I remember I was sitting there in the house and he played that tape, you know, on 23rd and Mission in San Francisco. And I was like, "Oh my God," and he's like, "Yeah, well, you know, he really doesn't get out that much and stuff, but he's coming to San Francisco to meet me. You gotta meet him. I'll bring him by the house." And so Joe Gore brought him by the house. I think Les was even there. You know, we kind of had the rock and roll house right there above Scott's Comics on 23rd and Mission. You know, it was literally like four houses down from, you know, Mission Street and stuff in between Mission and Valencia. And so we had the party house. So it's like everybody was hanging out and Les was there. And Joe Gore brings this guy Buckethead and, you know, we're just like, "Oh," and he's playing the bass and Les was like, "Wow, you're pretty good on that thing." And Les like standoffish at first or whatever, because Buckethead was doing all slapping.

Interviewer: So he was in full gear when you met him?

Brain: Yeah, he was always in, he's pretty much always in full gear, you know, doing his thing.

Interviewer: Like even back then?

Brain: Yeah, I mean, that's his vibe. I mean, he lives and dies by it, you know, that's his thing. He's like, that's his gig. And it was interesting because out of everyone, I think for some reason, you know, him and I just hit it off the best, you know. He was just talking about basketball, talking about all this crazy stuff and I was talking about, and you know, and martial arts and Bruce Lee and Jordan, you know, all the things that you know, as a Buckethead fan.

Interviewer: Like Texas Chainsaw?

Brain: Yeah, all that stuff. And I think that, you know, he's talking about all the horror stuff and I was really never into horror. So I think he and I just hit it off because the stuff I was into, he didn't really know about it, but I was more into fashion stuff and all that kind of stuff. He was into all the horror stuff, so I think we had a good juxtaposition. For some reason we just kind of hit it off.

Interviewer: Did he actually come on tour with the Limbos?

Brain: We played a lot together and maybe he sat in, but he never went on tour because the Limbos never really went on tour. We never really did that many big... When we did do it was like in Europe and we were with Primus. And then we did some state stuff, but it was mainly with Primus but Bucket never came with us. We did like a couple gigs where we would like go up the West Coast and he kind of came with, he came with us on a couple of those, but not on tours. But yeah, we did some Seattle, Portland shows and he came with us and did his whole shtick and blew everybody out. He was kind of new on the scene, so he was taking everyone out, Mike Patton, Mr. Bungle, they were like, "Who's this guy? This is crazy." Then they got the Deli Creeps to open for them and all that stuff. But he never came on a full tour, but would do like two or three shows. Maybe he'd just come and hang out and then sit in.

Interviewer: So what about Maximum Bob? When was the first time you met him?

Brain: That was through Bucket when the Deli Creeps came on.

Interviewer: And what was your first impressions of him?

Brain: Well, you know, he was just exactly what you get, exactly what you see. So he was pretty much that. You know, you get this kind of huge dude with his shirt off, with an axe in his hand that could probably beat up anybody in the whole place with, you know, his fist. And that's all he needs and he's full on.

Interviewer: But like cool dude or you never really interacted that much with him?

Brain: Well, I mean, yeah, with him and like I think it was Pinchface and forgot who the bass player was... but I was mainly with Bucket, you know. I mean, yeah, if I saw him on the street I could say, "Hey," you know, or whatever, but it was Buckethead and I really were more of the close, that's why we continued on, I think, and still played last year together because we kept in touch and I think that we just have a rapport with each other. I just feel like Maximum Bob is like, I don't know him that well, but I just feel like he's more of like a singer. Buckethead is more of a musician in the sense of, yeah, we can just talk about more of the music stuff. I don't know. And Pinchface also, you know, like great guy, but I never really got close to both those guys.

Interviewer: So how did that then lead into Praxis?

Brain: Well, that was what I think I was started to lead up to also earlier when I was saying that. After the Limbo, after we hung out at the Limbo house, and Bucket came by. He came into town, I think it was only the second time or something. Well, wait, no, let me get the timeline right. Because I think what happened is after we met Bucket, I got the tape, that Maximum Bob tape, to Bill and Bill saw it and I said, "Not only is this guy, you know, a crazy guitar player thing, he also loves Bootsy," and Bill was like, "Wow, okay, cool." Bill would never say, "Wow," but yeah you know it's just like he was like, "Cool," you know.

Interviewer: He raised an eyebrow?

Brain: Yeah, raised the eyebrow and out of nowhere we're just sitting you know Bucket came to visit again and we're sitting - I remember this because we're sitting at my mom's in Cupertino I was visiting - and I said, "You got to come and meet my mom and hang out for a couple days," or whatever. I think he slept over for a couple days and you know this was one before there were cell phones and the phone rings and my mom's like, "Hey, it's for you," and I get on the phone and it's you know I think it was like one of Bill's assistants, maybe John Brown or something, I don't know if John was then or there then, but they were just like, "Hey, I got Bill on the phone for you," and I'm like, "Oh, okay." Bill's there and he's like, "Hey, how's it going?" I'm like, "Oh, cool," and he goes, "So, hey, I want to do this project." And I'm like, "Well, that's funny, Bucket's here. You want to talk to Bucket?" And he's like, "Yeah, sure." And Bucket's all, "Oh, geez, oh yeah." He talks to Bill and he gets off the phone, gives it back to me. He's all like his eyes are all lit up and I'm like, "What?" you know and get back on the phone with Bill, he's like, "Hey, so, you know, I just talked to Bucket and seems like we're a go for this, I'm going to do this band called Praxis. It's going to be you, Bucket, AF Man Flip from the Jungle Brothers, Bootsy Collins and Bernie Warrell." And I'm like-

Interviewer: "What? What?"

Brain: "Sign me up." [?] Yeah, you know and before you knew it there was plane flights and we flew out to New York and we set up and Bucket's doing his whole shtick and his whole outfit. I'm practicing drums and we're at Greenpoint Studios at this point, Bill's old studio, what was like a converted church or something that he built. He made in a warehouse type space and there was like church chairs in there. Maybe it wasn't a church. It was just that he had bought all those long rows of church seating for people in this area. It was just a crazy place.

Interviewer: Like a funeral home.

Brain: Yeah, it was awesome.

[...]

Brain: Bucket and I now at this point we're hanging out like, you know, we were really close friends and you know, he'd come here from LA because I was based in the Bay and I had a studio in Berkeley and you know, he'd come and we'd go to the cemetery every day for like, you know, five hours. That was his thing and he'd do nunchucks on all the graves. And we were having a ball together, you know, just doing stuff. We would just go down to the wharf and just trip out on people. We'd love watching people. We just love to go to malls, not because of we like to buy clothes there or stuff. It was more just tripping out on people and going, "Oh man, check that guy's vibe." And we'd watch movies all day. We'd just sit in the studio and watch movies for like, you know, 12 hours and then go get pizza, you know, and then come back, you know, basically just binging.

[...]

Interviewer: So how did that then, I think, lead into Giant Robot?

Brain: Well, Giant Robot was something that we had going for years because of, you know, Bucket being into Giant Robot. I think he has like five or six of them, huge Giant Robot, you know, like six foot tall. Giant Robot dolls and shit, you know. I don't think they're called dolls, but whatever they're called, that's [?]. But, and so Bucket always had that around, you know, like, or whatever. And he kind of, we kind of made the Giant Robot album with my friend Pete Scaturo, who was the keyboardist of the Limbo's. So we had already always been talking about making that album and Pete was a really, you know, he's more of like a... what do you want to call it? He's more of like a commercial producer, you know a little slicker and a little more cleaner and will tell you like what to do and will piece it together and be hands-on. And so you know, Bucket was kind of like was like, "Let's do a Giant Robot album. Let's get Pete because I have all these samples and Pete can put them in his," you know, Peter just bought the sync laver, which was like, you know, a $200,000 computer, you know, Michael Jackson had and two other people, you know, I think Michael had all of them. But, you know, so it was like Pete bought one and you know, it was pretty crazy. So, and was like, "Let's make a Giant Robot." That's that Giant Robot album, the one that we did.

Interviewer: Which is a great album.

[...]

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:42 pm; edited 12 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Back to top Go down

2018.09.04 - NatterNet - Interview with Brain  Empty Re: 2018.09.04 - NatterNet - Interview with Brain

Post by Soulmonster Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:26 pm

[...]

Brain: You know, and then we met Dan [Monti] because he was working in the Guns.... He was the second engineer in the Guns stuff.

Interviewer: So you never met Dan before then?

Brain: No. He was just the engineer and we became friends through that and then him and Bucket make all the albums.

[...]

Interviewer: So how did that then lead into Guns?

Brain: Mainly from Bucket, you know, because I was in Primus and at that point it had been six years in Primus. I think Les, he kind of just realized that Primus is really him and Tim, you know, I think in a way and he was kind of going - and Ler - and he was kind of going like, you know, "I want to kind of get into his jam band scene." It was just picking up, he usually does anyways. He usually does Primus and then takes time off while he's doing the Lenin[?] thing. I think he was just like, "Look, I'm going to take some time off. I'm going to go do this thing." And, you know, Bucket was playing in Primus, I mean, on tour with Primus, and then we couldn't take him to this one tour, and it was in Australia, and I think, I remember Bucket calling me and going, "Hey, you know, Josh is in the band, Josh Freese, but I don't think he's gonna stay in the band, and I've been jamming with Guns," and he recommended me to play with Guns, and I was like, "Wow, that's cool." You know, that's pretty heavy, because there were still... those Metallica and Guns N' Roses at that point were still the two biggest rock bands in the world. He's like, "Yeah, Axl's cool, I want to go do this, I want to play." And I'm just like, "Would you want to play if Josh left?" Because he didn't know if Josh was going to stay. Because Josh is the kind of drummer that's one of the best drummers that I know and could play on anybody's-

Interviewer: Like a session.

Brain: Yeah. He's like, "I think he's getting a little antsy, you know, wants to get out of here, you know, he's just like, they're not touring, they're not doing anything, and Josh just wants to move on and play [?]". His resume is probably 30 times bigger than mine and his discography is, you know, ridiculous. So he was like, if he left, would you want to come and check it out? And I was just like, "Yeah, whatever." I didn't even think about it. Yeah, because I think Bucket was going to try to recommend me or something. And then when we got off the road, Les kind of said, "Hey," you know, "we've had our fun." You know, he kind of let me go in a sense. You know, he was like, "How are you feeling about this?" And I was like, "Oh, I get it." You know, he's like, "Yeah," you know, "I just feel like, you know, the band's always like-"

Interviewer: -the old band.

Brain: Yeah. I felt like he was wanting to get the old band back together. And so I was like, "Okay, I get it." And then, you know, like three weeks later, Bucket calls and he's like, "Hey man, I think Josh quit." That's when I started getting the calls from Guns. I was like, "I don't know. I don't know if I wanna do this." And they were just like, "What? What do you mean you don't wanna do this?" And I was like, "Well, I don't know. I've never really played this style of music. I don't really get it. I'm not sure." And they're like, "Whoa, what do you mean? This is Guns N' Roses. Everybody wants this gig. And what do you mean you don't want it?" That alone kind of pushed them into, "Well, just come down and check it out," type thing, you know, or whatever. And I think also pushing for me probably helped. But so, you know, then I got the like, you know, limo service to this studio type thing, you know, to like go there.

Interviewer: -what was that like having the limos and the jets?

Brain: Well, you know, it was another level, you know, so it was like, I was on, like in Spinal Tap where it goes to 11, this was 11. Like, I go to the studio, every drum set, every tech, every keyboard, every guitar, every everything you'd ever want. This is the big time, you know, these are like, you know, the best producers, the best engineers, they can get all the best. So now you're in the big leagues. And, you know, when I went there, it was rad, you know?

Interviewer: So who are some of the guys that you first saw when you went there? Like Bucket was already there and Tommy?

Brain: Yeah, it was mainly, you know, Tommy, Robin... Bucket wasn't even there yet. I think Bucket was already... they just wanted the other people. So it was like first person I met was Robin and then Tommy and then Mother Goose - who was Chris Pitman - and then the producer, Sean Bevan, and then the engineers, Caram Costanzo and Eric Caudieux, who is the Pro Tools master, dude. And that was who was at the studio. And then I jammed for a little bit on some songs that they had recorded. And then they're like, "OK, cool. You know, hey, man, Axl's going to come by." I was like, "What? Oh, no." You know, like that kind of thing. And then, you know, Axl shows up. Super cool. just chill, you know, and I was like, "Wow, this is kind of cool," you know, just like, "everybody seems cool." You know, little did I know how crazy it gets, you know, but I was just like, "Oh, okay." And I think that's the same with Bucket. You know, I both think when we got in it, it was just like, "Oh, this is going to be a cool thing." And then it just crazy because of the level it has to work on is so big. And we had such big shoes to fill that it just creates this chaos. And then it wasn't even music anymore. It was just about, you know, "They're wearing Bucket out," "Oh, they're wearing me out, "Oh, Robin's upset, "Oh, Tommy's quitting," "Oh, you know," you know what I mean?

Interviewer: Always something drama.

Brain: Yeah. Like, well, what happened to the band playing music? And it's just like, "Well, this is pieced together. This is pieced together by [?]", you know, it's like they have the money to hire the best people. So they get it, but sometimes, like you said, in the super group, getting Jaco and Tony Williams and Alma Goughlin, I don't know if that worked.

Interviewer: Like who do you think that kind of falls on? Does that fall on the management or did it fall on Axl? Like, nobody was really getting it together?

Brain: Yeah, I think it's a little bit of both. I think it's like, it's Axl's show and without his vocals and who he is, no one's gonna show up. So, you know, it's just kind of like, the management have to  [?] people, so they're confused. I heard it's a lot different now, though. I heard that they show up on time, they play, they're destroying. They go play for four hours-

Interviewer: Crazy money.

Brain: Yeah, they go and make $200 million a year, or whatever, more probably.

Interviewer: They never contacted you to get back in the new group?

Brain: They wanted me to do some stuff before this, where it was like, "Let's do two drummers", I think, because Frank, who replaced me after I quit, after when I had my daughter, I was like, "I think I'm just going to stop the road for a while." I really wanted to get into computers and music and producing and also composing. During this whole period, I was taking every lesson you can take. I was taking classical piano, blues, piano lessons, as yeah, you know, all the computers and music stuff, learning live, learning Logic, learning Pro Tools from whoever I could in LA, the best there was, you know, like of engineers, learning the engineering side of stuff through the engineers that were on, you know, at the studio because we were recording for five or six years, you know, just doing stuff in the studio, you know, didn't even play. Maybe not that long, three or four.

Interviewer: But like, where did all that stuff go all about recording? Because it seems like there would be more than, what was it, 12, 13 songs that they've done.

Brain: Yeah, I think they have them all. I think, you know, there's enough to probably put out two or three more albums. I think it's just a matter of like, who or when. And now it's like, you know, Slash is back in the band and Duff and they're like, you know, they're in the original band I think they're just part of it is Axl so now three people have to make, you know, it's not even Slash's or Duff's music, you know, it was Axl's, ours.

Interviewer: Did you ever meet Brian May at the time because I know he recorded some stuff but they never put it on the album?

Brain: He came to the show in London.

Interviewer: I was actually there for that show.

Brain: Oh yeah.

Interviewer: You guys were so late. You were like three hours late or something. It's crazy.

Brain: That was a wear out. I remember that one too because I remember the catering eating that night, I ate spaghetti. Yeah, that was a long one. That was a hard time. That was when, yeah, it was a lot of stress during that show and that period. But yeah, you know, he came to the show. I didn't say anything, I think they introduced me and I said "Hi" and that was it or whatever. But yeah, that was a very stressful time. I remember I was just like, you know, aching from playing our part and then just beat up. Yeah, you know.

Interviewer: So going back to the first show I think we done was The Rock in Rio.

Brain: Yeah.

Interviewer: Like how was that to be in front of that many people?

Brain: Well, that was scary because we had never really played with Axl. You know, we had never... He never came to any of the rehearsals. And so we had never heard him in our monitors or in-ears.

Interviewer: Like he never came to one, even one rehearsal?

Brain: He came once, sang for about 30 seconds and left. You know, so go to this show and it's, you know, it's literally like, we're about an hour late. You know, there's like 200 and some thousand people waiting and I was nervous because I was like, "Wait a second, like, we've never heard his vocals. We're gonna go play this show in front of all these people." I have to say, dude, I was I was scared. I mean, you know, Primus was one thing when I first joined because it was kind of like "[?] Alexander," you know, he just won Early Modern Drummer, Rock Drummer of the Year type thing. And then now I'm playing with Guns at Rock in Rio and had never played with the lead singer. And we're late and there's a little tension and he's in a whole other area doing his thing. There's no camaraderie with like, "Okay, let's do this." It's just kind of like, "Where's Axl?"

Interviewer: What is the deal with that? Does he just like, he doesn't care or he's like, why? Why is he always like that way? What do you think is the reason?

Brain: Oh, he cares. He knows exactly what's happening. He's not fucking around. He's a professional. Cause he came out and sang his ass off for three hours. And you have to be, I mean, vocals are the hardest. The voice is the hardest instrument, you know, it's like, because your mood can affect it. I mean, your mood can affect your playing also and how you feel. But I mean, literally, you know, if you're a little tired, your voice is going to be destroyed. So, you know, the instrument by nature is crazy so the pull he has to pull off takes this shit serious and to run around do what he does. So I just think that it's just, you know, I mean, it's weird. Yeah, I don't really know. I mean, I have a feeling it's just him, you know, being a little, you know, just I don't think it's like premeditated more than he's just, you know, he just gets into his own little [?] expectations are so high. He just gets freaked out maybe, you know, I know what I do, I just I'll go out there and do it. Now I heard he rehearses with the band, you know, through some of the people I've talked to or whatever that I've seen or whatever, just like, "Oh, everyone's great."

Interviewer: Wow.

Brain: Yeah, he's on time. "What do you mean? He comes to rehearsals, It's great." And I'm like, "Oh, wow, that's crazy."

Interviewer: I remember you told a story once where you guys are playing You Could Be Mine and he gave you like the look because I guess you hadn't rehearsed the drum part with him. So he got confused.

Brain: Yeah, that was in the Rock In Rio show where I was playing where there's a signal in order for me to do the [humming] In my mind I know it through the album. But live, hey, he might be running around or be at the other side of the stage, "Hey, it's gonna take me some time to get to the mic" and [?] he'll cue it, you know, when he's ready. It was like I was in rehearsal, I was hearing it within my head and I was like, "Oh, I'm hearing his vocals the way it's supposed to be." And I started the part, but he wasn't there. So he gives me this, you know, like, "You mother effer," you know, I'm just like, "Ah, shit." Like, you know, "you're supposed to wait for me, dude." And I was like... But he never said anything after, I just realized, "Okay, I get it. I just wait for him. He's controlling it, he's the vocalist."

Interviewer: So what happened with the tour? Because I know the rest of the tour was like cancelled and they kind of blamed it on Buckethead. They said he had like a stomach infection or something. Like what happened with that?

Brain: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know if they really... You know, I think what happened was, you know, things were going good and Axl was still pulling his moves. And I think that Clear Channel was just getting kind of sick of it. So I think they were just like, "You keep [?] shows and we're gonna flip and pull the plug." And I think he just missed [?] those and they pulled the plug. And then I think that at that point they probably had to make an excuse or something. I know that Bucket was having some trouble at that point with his health. And so I think it was just kind of happened to be around the same time, he was very stressed out in it and getting worn out. And I think it was just kind of like, you know, a combination of both. So they might have said that, but, you know, I think it was just because [?] was like, "We're done," you know, you can't keep... We missed like three or four shows in a month.

Interviewer: Yeah. Wasn't the, wasn't the first one a riot, I think in Toronto or Vancouver?

Brain: Yeah. I think it was in Canada. We showed up on the... I remember being in the bus and showing up and all I saw was one of those, what do you call it? Where they blocked the crowd.

Interviewer: Like barricade?

Brain: Barricades. And it was just thrown through the ticket box office and I was like, "Yeah, I don't think we're playing tonight."

Interviewer: "Turn the bus around."

Brain: Yeah, I think I went and ate Indian food with Robin and Tommy and the Goose that night.

Interviewer: Crazy. So there wasn't one coming through your window of the bus or anything like Conor McGregor, like thrown through-

Brain: It was close, but it was more, you know, the bus driver just saw what was happening and literally just [?] right.

Interviewer: Did you ever like have any meetings or interaction with the manager, Doug Goldstein, because I know he's been like over the years kind of controversial, people have said a lot of things about him?

Brain: Doug was always great to me. I heard a lot of bad things about him, too, but he was always awesome. He was always like, would answer my calls. I remember going to his hotel two or three times asking him certain things about stuff and he would answer them. He never wore me out or anything, but I know that was at a time when he was getting worn out. I think they were done with him. I think when Merck was coming in and I think that's when you know a whole other management system, that Sanctuary Group or whatever they're called, was coming in. And I think that's... yeah, that's what happened. I think he was getting burned out so I don't think he had the power to be the dude he was back in the day when they're on top of the world, yeah. Then one day he was gone.

Interviewer: Just like that, gone?

Brain: Yeah, it's like, "What happened?" He's been sent home and we never saw him again. I think we were Live at Leeds.

Interviewer: Oh, yeah.

Brain: [?] He was on the bus. And I was like, "Hey, did you see the show?" And he goes, "No, I wasn't allowed to go up there." I was like, "Why?" And he goes, "I just got in a big argument with Beta and Axl and I can't go up there." And I was like, "Oh, okay." And then I never saw him again.

Interviewer: Like, what was your thoughts on Beta? She okay? Or like how was that arrangement?

Brain: Oh yeah I mean they're always good to me. I felt like my relationship with them was a little aloof, you know, I always was kind of one foot in one foot out, that's why I think I just got in and then got out. You know, did my and then got out. Oh yeah, maybe that's why they never really asked me to come back because I feel like, you know, they never really felt like.... Frank works perfect in it. He loves it. I went and saw one of the shows and it was like, "Oh, I get it." He's like standing up, fist pumping and stuff. I don't know if he does that now, but when I saw him one time, it was just like, "Oh, I get it." He digs. I kind of like, wear a hat and put my head down and just get through it. That's my style. So I don't know.

Interviewer: So are you like a fan of his playing like-

Brain: Who, Frank's? Yeah, Frank is cool man. He's perfect for that band. He rocks out. He hits hard and solid. He's great for it.

Interviewer: What about the VMAs? How was that? I think that was like the first, other than Rio, the first televised appearance of you guys. How was that?

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:02 pm; edited 8 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

2018.09.04 - NatterNet - Interview with Brain  Empty Re: 2018.09.04 - NatterNet - Interview with Brain

Post by Soulmonster Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:26 pm

Brain: You know, no one knew that we were supposed to be there. So we weren't allowed to go in there. We were just like in a side trailer on the side of the whole building. So we didn't get to be a part of the show at all until they were like, "Okay, you know, we're gonna sneak you in." Clearly no one knew that we were supposed to play. So it was kind of like, almost like a dream, you know? It was like, "Okay, get on stage, okay." We did it and it happened in five minutes and then it was done. It was like, "Well, wait a second." There was no buildup or anything to just literally, you know, "Oh shit, we just played." And I think that's why Axl was a little winded. He got a little flack from it because I think it was the same for him. It was just like, "Okay, you guys are nowhere to be seen." "Okay." "Now gather in the hall". "Okay." "Jimmy Fallon's just introduced you, run on stage, play." You know, it was just like, "Wait, what?" We didn't have a chance to even like think, you know, and figure it out. And then being on the side, no one even knew what was going on. We didn't get to watch the show or anything. We were just like in a trailer. So we could have been anywhere. It wasn't like, "Hey, we can all hang out. We're backstage in the green room, talking to the other stars," you know, Michael Jackson's walking by, "Oh cool," you know, it was more just like, "No, you guys are so far removed because no one knows that you're supposed to even be here and then get on stage and be done."

Interviewer: Was that by choice by Axl or just that's how they wanted it?

Brain: That's how MTV wanted it. They wanted it to be a surprise.

Interviewer: Cuz I remember I watched you guys the week before you were in London and his vocals sounded completely different. So I knew that like something was up.

Brain: Yeah, everything was off with his in-ears also. That's why he kept touching them. And then he was just like, "Oh shit," you know, like, and then he, we, didn't have time to really prepare or get pumped or do any exercise, any kind of exercises or anything that you would do before any kind of warm-up. Because you know, we didn't know when we were going on. It was literally just like, "Someone's going to knock on the door and you guys just got to go," and we were like, "Wait, what?" You know, like, "Okay."

Interviewer: Which is like the complete opposite of what Guns have always done.

Brain: Exactly.

Interviewer: So then what led to Bucket leaving? How did that come about?

Brain: As far as Bucket, you know, I think he was just done with it the same way as like anybody else. I don't think there was any one particular thing. I think he was just like, you know, "I'm not having fun in this anymore," because with Bucket it's about, you know, fun. And I think that it just wasn't fun anymore for him. And he just, anytime, every band I've been in with him or anything I've done, when it's not fun anymore, I know he just doesn't like to be involved.

Interviewer: What did you think of the statement that Axl put out, which he kind of blamed Buckethead for I think the delay of the album and the canceling of the tour?

Brain: At that time, I remember... you know, it might have not even have been Axl. That's the whole thing. I don't even know. That's how crazy it is. And at that point, you know, I was kind of like, I went back to Tom Waits, because that was that little period where we took a break. So I was doing that Real Gone album with Tom and I took off and I was in a whole different world. You know, it wasn't till after Bucket quit and then like a year later, they called and was like, "Hey, we're going to do this again." During that whole time, you know, I had just kind of went and did my own thing like everybody else. And then it's all of a sudden it's like, "Okay, now we're going to do it again." And it's just like, "Okay, you know, let's do it." And that's when we did. That's when we got Bumblefoot and we went on that tour. And then during that period, I told them I was about to have a kid. And then that's when I said, "I'm going to leave the tour," and everybody was like, "Okay, well, we've got to get a substitute in." And then that's when we got Frank.

Interviewer: So how were the rest of the band when you told them they were okay, or there was a falling out or what?

Brain: I think they were all cool. You know, I think at that point they were just like, you know, everything's so crazy, "Oh? Okay, whatever," "You got to go? Sounds great." You know, like, you know, Bucket was already gone. This guy Bumblefoot's in the band. You know, It was just like, "Oh, whatever, dude," "Yeah, do your thing."

Interviewer: Like revolving door almost.

Brain: Yeah.

Interviewer: One's out, one's in. Did you ever have a conversation with Axl at the time about leaving?

Brain: No, I had it with the manager. And "Okay, we'll tell Axl," so I just kind of trusted that they would tell him.

Interviewer: Around the time the Bucket left, I remember you guys were on tour as Giant Robot. Like I think a month after he left, you guys went on tour together.

Brain: Yeah, we might have. I think we did some touring together, yeah.

Interviewer: So there wasn't like any heat from Axl or Guns because, like, they apparently couldn't get hold of him but yet here you are on tour with him?

Brain:  Yeah, I think at that point they had just let it go. You know, they were just like, "Ah, you know, whatever." You know, and then, you know, they can't stop him from doing what he wanted. All those threats, you know.

Interviewer: But they never kind of put it on you, like talk with him or get him back or anything like that?

Brain: No, I mean, I think that, you know, they knew I was close to him. So I think sometimes they would say, "Hey, how does Bucket feel about this or that?" But not really. They didn't really put any pressure on me. You know, they never, that's why I said with them and their whole management, I always had like one foot put in, you know, one foot out type thing. You know, I was like, "Okay, when you need me I'll be there, but when you're not..." I didn't put too much time into thinking about it.

Interviewer: So what did you think of Bumblefoot when he came in?

Brain: Well, not much because I didn't really know, you know, we were all kind of at that point just like in our own little space. So I didn't think much about it at all. I was just like, "Oh, okay, there's a third, you know, you replace Bucket with," you know, I had lost my friend at that point. And I had known that [?] leaving. So I was done with it. You know, I was already kind of like, "Well, I'm going to be leaving anyways." And then I didn't know I was going to come back, because I did come back for a quick second. And then I was like, "Nah," you know, "I think Frank's a better drummer for you guys." And I think they were like, "Yeah, maybe he is in a sense because, you know, he likes it." You know, and I'm always kind of complaining, not complaining, but just kind of going, "Ah, you know, do we really have to rehearse?" you know, that kind of stuff [laughs].

Interviewer: Like it feels more like a job for you.

Brain: Yeah. You know, even though, you know, they've been great to me and everything. It's just still felt like... And it was a job because that's the gig. I mean, they already had huge success. You're going to have to play those songs. Well, any of those bands, anybody joins, it becomes kind of a job, you know. Even for Axl.

Interviewer: Yeah. How did they get you back for the one appearance? I think it was 2012.

Brain: Yeah, I think they had asked me to just sit in. And so I said, "Sure." I was supposed to sit in. Yeah, I played bongos or something like that. I think they asked if I wanted to play a song but I think that I was just like, "I don't know any," or something. I just didn't want to, you know, it was easier for me to just like play bongos so I was just like, "Okay I'll show up that night."

Interviewer: So have you had conversations with Axl since then?

Brain: Since the House of Blues?

Interviewer: Yeah.

Brain: No, not really. I mean I haven't really, you know. My ex-girlfriend, Melissa, they needed a keyboard player, so she's in the band now. We've done some gigs together. She's like my composing partner. We still do music and stuff because we got some films coming out. That's sort of where if there's any connection at all, it's through her. I don't really talk to any of the band members really. Richard and I did some Crystal Method gigs, that was kind of cool. He had that connection and I got to play with The Munch-

Interviewer: I think you did Jimmy Fallon one time?

Brain: Yeah, we did Jimmy Fallon and we did a couple of other shows, it was some other shows like Late Night with that one guy that used to be on MTV. Forgot his name... He was on MTV, he was a DJ... I forgot his name, but yeah, I think he's off the air now, but it was like a late night special with him. So Richard kind of hooked that up and that was fun. I mean, I love the Crystal Method, so that was cool. And once in a while, you know, I guess I'll text Frank or something or whatever and that, but you know, pretty much now that Melissa's in the band and we still do composing, that's kind of where the connection. If there's anything that I hear about anything, it's through her.

Interviewer: So I saw on one of the Facebook pages, like he sent you the Platinum Chinese Democracy, which he'd signed.

Brain: Oh, really? Someone posted that?

Interviewer: It's on your Facebook page, or yours and Melissa's?

Interviewer: Yeah, maybe Melissa did it. Maybe Melissa did it a while back.

Brain: Yeah, I don't do any social media really, which I guess I should.

Interviewer: I know. You're hard to get hold of, man.

Brain: Yeah, I just have that website that everybody's like, "Is this you?" you know, the Brain Arcane.

Interviewer: Yeah, what is that all about?

Brain: Oh, that was my farewell to music. You know, I was just like, "Okay, I'm gonna make the gaunest[?]", you know, my friend Adam Gates, who works at Pixar, I was like, "I'm gonna make you the coolest website." I was like, "Yeah!" and so that's what it became. So that's pretty cool. I send corporate people there and then they never call back. They're like, "Oh, okay, what does this guy do?" I love it.

Interviewer: Yeah, I saw that signed album on the Facebook page.

Brain: Yeah, it must have been something that she posted on one of ours when we were going through storage or something.

Interviewer: Yeah, so he never contacted you and said, "Hey, I'm sending this to you." Nothing like that?

Brain: I think their management did. Yeah, so I thought that was cool. I mean, I played on it, I'm 90% of it. So yeah, that's cool.

Interviewer: So what would you say some of the biggest misconceptions about Axl are?

Brain: You know, I was like, "Oh, it's going to be like this," or, "it's going to be like that," you know, like because of everything I've read before. [?] you know, what the press has out there is quite different in everything I've been involved with, you know, from whether it be Primus, Tom Waits, Bill, Bootsy, any of those people, you know, everything I read about those people, when you do meet them, be around them, and actually are in a working relationship, it's complete[?] than what everybody has written about or, you know. So, you know, I think it's true with Axl also, it's kind of just like, you know, he, to me, I mean, he never really, he never, you know, he's always just cool, you know, it's like everything around it that just wears you out. And then maybe I'm just not that kind of a person that can play in one thing in one band, you know, playing the same thing over and over again. I just feel like it's hard for me. I did it for a while and that's sort of the reason why I kind of left when I came back. I just couldn't really play that style anymore. It's just not who I am. And it was like, with Frank, I think it's natural for him, or at least it seems like it. Maybe it's tough for him too. I don't know. I haven't heard too many interviews with him, of what he says, but for me, you know, so yeah, I don't know, you know, it's hard to say because you know, all the things that people say about all the people I've worked with, I'm just like, "Yeah, that's not really how it was."

Interviewer: Like totally different.

Brain: You know, or, "This guy's a..."

Interviewer: Like how come, you know, back when you were in the band, like nobody ever gave interviews or like you never put out a video. It always seems strange, like you had the album out, there was no video, no promotion.

Brain: You know, at that point I was... out of it so I don't really know too much about that part of it because that was already gone so I don't know why that never happened.

Interviewer: So I guess after that you've done some more albums of Buckethead, you've done Kevin's Noodle House.

Brain: Yep that was another one that we did the same way as Pieces and all that.

Interviewer: Yeah, it sounds like...

Brain You know we kind of... Yep, we just totally you know we're having fun. Kevin's Noodle House was a sign that we saw as we were driving back from the studio and we're just like, "All right, it's called Kevin's Noodle House." I was like, "Sounds great."

Interviewer: So random.

Brain: So those albums that I had done comes through that. Another one, "Brain As Hamanoodle."

Brain: That was another one because the ramen was off the side of the food truck. So we just caught... And the guy had put like a... H or something on there and so we were just like instead of "ramen" it just said "hamen." Yeah so Buckethead was like, "Oh this is called hamennoodle." We made that album in real time when we went back to the studio that night.

Interviewer: So crazy, so crazy. I think that's what makes it work, like there's no like plan it's just do it.

Brain: No we made all that and even the one with Melissa you know the three of us was all done with like watching movies, we would just go get like the craziest movies and we would just watch them and then play that whole thing in real time. I think we made like a 12 album set or something.

Interviewer: Why was there never a third one? I remember they kind of announced a third one but they only ever put two out.

Brain: Oh yeah, Kind Regards, I think. Yeah. Yeah, I don't think it ever made it. I think at that point we were just all going our separate ways. Buckethead was on tour doing his own thing. You know. Melissa and I were doing, composing for movies, working with that, you know, Joseph Kahn, that video director. And you know, so we never got a chance to do. I wish we could, you know, I mean, those are the parts that are the most fun for me as touring and making the albums.

Interviewer: Like how did you actually meet Melissa? Where did you guys meet up?

Brain: We met through a mutual friend, Jason Carmer. He produced Donna's and stuff and his manager was also managing, Donna's manager was also managing Melissa, trying to help her out as a singer/songwriter. So we were working with Jason and I had met her and then we just hit it off, you know, as far as music, we just knew everything, like loved all the same stuff and we just like making music together and doing all that. And then we kind of hooked up, you know, together and we kind of did the whole composing, living together, doing the whole thing. And that became just like too much, you know, trying to be like-

Interviewer: You need five minutes alone.

Brain Yeah. We were just watching a movie together. And all of a sudden it's like, "Wait, you text blah, blah about the, you know, did you zip the file and send it to him? They needed the base part on it." And I'd be like, "We're just trying to watch a movie." And then I'd be wearing her out. And it'd be like, "Oh boy, maybe we should just keep making music together. That's easy."

Interviewer: Yeah, nothing else. So was it through you that she got the gig with Guns, like the association with you, I assume?

Brain: Yeah, yeah. It was kind of like, you know, she was around, she had met, I think it was Caram, because we were doing a couple projects with Caram to help mix, and he was also producing stuff that he wanted us to help with. She was working with Caram on the side also as just helping him do some vocal stuff on stuff he was producing on the side when Guns was off tour. And then she knew Mother Goose because we would just hang out with Mother Goose, Chris Pitman. And out of nowhere, it was just like, I got a call. They were just like, "Hey, do you think Melissa would want to tour with us because Chris has left the band?" And I was like, "That's crazy, yeah, I'm sure she would." She's never really, you know, "That would be a great thing for her." And so, you know, she went and.... You know, she's a awesome keyboardist, arranger also, and just like kind of a musical director type. So, you know, I knew she could pull it off, it just would take some hard work and time and she just killed it. I think they all get along with her.

Interviewer: You didn't give her any tips like, "Be careful of this person," or, "Be careful of what's going on over here"? Like you just let her do her own thing.

Brain: I just let her do her own thing because at that point it was a different band anyways. Now you got Slash back in the band and Duff. It's Guns N' Roses now. So it's a whole different animal. [?] play arenas to now we're doing stadiums, so it's a whole different beast, so it's a whole different thing now. Last time I talked to her about - I don't know, it was like about a month ago - I remember her saying she was going to Manila [?], I mean, they're going to some crazy places for like, a month maybe? Not a long one, right?

Interviewer: No, it's like three weeks.

Brain: They've been playing some crazy places. You know, I played a lot of crazy places with them, but now they're doing the whole... Everything.

[...]

Interviewer: Around that time later on then you started working with Melissa. I know you've done a lot of stuff with Sony and video games and you've done like the NBA shows. How does that actually come about? Do they call you or how does that work out?

Brain: Well yeah, that's sort of my thing is I really wanted to get into composing. And I think that's where Melissa and I were headed until she joined Guns and then got kind of, you know, that's like a full time thing. And I knew it was going to be a full time thing. You know, I don't think she knew what she was getting herself into, but, you know, she does now. She's been doing it for a couple of years, but, you know, before, right before that, though, we were working with Joseph Khan, with Sony doing like video games for them. You know, like we did the Infamous series, we did a couple of those. We did, she had done Bloodborne, which is a pretty [?] game.

Interviewer: You did the Power Rangers.

Brain: Yeah, Power Rangers. And that was a Joseph Kahn thing. And then we did Detention. We have a movie that was produced by M&M that's coming out in November, I think, on Amazon Films. No, wait, no, YouTube. YouTube, sorry. I think YouTube Red or something. It's called Bodied. Yeah, that's coming out. That's going to be pretty cool. The score to that we did together and that's pretty cool. Then we did a film called Love Is All You Need that came out I think last year. And then we're working on, we did some music for this game called Cyberpunk 2077.

Interviewer: When you're working on that kind of thing, do they actually show you the game? How do you actually compose it? Do you compose it around the game or do you already have an idea?

Brain: Yeah, we kind of have a little bit of both. We kind of watch the game and then they show us some gameplay. And then they usually have an idea. We have some ideas. We all kind of collaborate. It takes about seven months to a year almost sometimes. It's like about seven months to develop it. What the sound is gonna be then we maybe record it in like three months And so it takes about a year total to do a video game.

Interviewer: Did you do something with Taylor Swift? I think I read somewhere like for one of her songs.

Brain: [?] we did all the cinematic stuff for her Bad Blood video. That was Joseph Kahn, he shot the video for that and he asked if we can do some of the cinematic parts like, you know, little beginning fight scene we put together.

Interviewer: Which is probably your best video. I'm not the biggest Taylor Swift fan but I know that song and that video. So you were never in the studio or anything with Taylor Swift? You never had any interaction?

Brain: No, with that it was mainly Joseph kind of. No one knew what the video was. No one knew that it was coming out. She was mostly liaising between Joseph and Melissa and I. And then, you know, she was telling Joseph what stuff they want, you know, what she wanted and stuff like that. We kind of went back and forth, did it in our own studio in Venice.

Interviewer: So you didn't ever get like some kind of writing credit or director credit for it?

Brain: I don't know, we might have got something because I see it on my IMDB.

Interviewer: But because I think she won a Grammy and I always kind of think like, does everybody else win a Grammy too for like this video? I don't know.

Brain: Yeah, I think a lot of, you know, the head people do. But, you know, I think we were just, you know, like this did a small part of it. So it was like, I don't know, a minute. So I think that that's why.

Interviewer: But it's the best minute.

Brain: That's cool.

Interviewer: So then late last year you got back with Bucket and went on tour with Dan. So how did that come about?

Brain: That was just again, us hanging out. It all comes from just hanging out. Bucket was just, we were in San Francisco hanging out and Bucket was like, "Oh hey, you want to tour?" I was like, "Yeah, let's do this for a little bit." And so we went out for like a month and a half.

Interviewer: You stayed close since he left Guns, you've always been close, always called each other?

Brain: I think we go in and out. I think he gets busy. He gets busy doing his thing, he tours, you know, I was busy doing the composing thing. But I think, you know, I mean, he'll always be my friend. I mean, you know, no matter what, I think that when I was in Guns, he didn't want any a part of it. So I think he kind of took off, went that way. You know, we don't really talk about it, because we just kind of, you know, do our own thing or whatever. So, you know, when we were on tour, we don't really talk about it. talk about it, we're just in that world, in Bucket world.

Interviewer: Bucket land.

Brain: Yep.

Interviewer: Yeah. So what was it like to be back on stage? Because it was like so long, it's been eight, nine years or something since you guys are on stage together.

Brain Yeah, with Bucket. It was pretty trippy. It was tough at first because we were just not used to it, you know, like we hadn't played in a while. But it comes back pretty quick because, you know, we're just such a, you know.... He's been someone that I've just-

Interviewer: Like a unit.

Brain: Yeah, and a lot of my friends that came to the shows, you know, would just say like, "Oh my God," you know, "I was like, that was one of the coolest shows I've seen," you know, or whatever that hadn't seen it or whatever. New fans, new people that I've met throughout the eight years that we haven't played. And been in the composing world. They had come and been like, "Oh my God, I didn't know you could do that. And that's what you did with Bucket," you know, because they were just used to me doing composing stuff, which is not playing, it's just like-

Interviewer: Like directing-

Brain: Moving a mouse around and... Yeah, and directing.

Interviewer: What about P-Stix[?]? Do you ever have any interaction with him?

Brain: He's the greatest, most hardworking dude. He takes James Brown's place for the most hardworking man in show business. That's all I have to say. He's the greatest.

Interviewer: Yeah, he seems like he hasn't stopped. Like he's doing the website, he's doing like the albums, the artwork, he's on the [?].

Brain: He's great. He does not say a word. He's never complained once and he kicks ass at whatever he does. He's really, he's a remarkable human.

Interviewer: Good guy?

Brain: Greatest. Incredible.

Interviewer: Dan's another cool guy.

Brain: Oh, Dan's the greatest. Yeah. I mean, he's, Dan's kind of like the master of everything, you know, and it's not like, you know, he can engineer, he can play bass, guitar, drums. I don't think there's anything he can't do in music. He sings. You know, there's any kind of weird technical question that I have. I call him up and he'll figure it out. You know, he knows everything.

Interviewer: Because he's kind of like an unsung hero amongst you guys because nobody ever really mentions him, but I know he like does so much.

Brain: Yeah, he does it all. Him and P-Sticks[?] are like, you know, they're incredible. With them you can't go wrong.

Interviewer: Has there ever been talk to get you on one of the Pike albums or do another solo project together?

Brain: No, I don't know. We talk about it sometimes and it would be cool. It would be great to make another studio album with them. I'm game. I think it would be awesome if we did a studio album with him and Bucket, Dan and I. It would be awesome. I'm down.

Interviewer: What about Bill? Are you still in contact with Bill Laswell?

Brain: No, I haven't talked to Bill in a while. I would love to do something with him. I mean, I would do it in two seconds. I just think that everybody kind of took off and did their own thing. And you know, everybody gets lost and it gets hard now, you know, to get things together. Because you just got to tour with, you know, can't really make any money with albums.

Interviewer: Yep, true.

Brain: I would do it.

Interviewer: So I know the Buckethead did the Coming To Life[?] podcast when you guys were touring. So did you know about his health? Like issues and problems at the time or not?

Brain: Well, he had mentioned it and I knew that he was having some trouble and you know, and stuff. Yeah, I mean, it really sucked. And, you know, I think that it was a tough time for him.

Interviewer: So how is he doing now? Like you spoke to him recently or?

Brain: Yeah, I think he's doing good. I know he went back on tour and so, you know, he must be fine if he's out there playing and stuff, or he's pushing through.

Interviewer: Yeah. It's like he doesn't stop. Like it's crazy.

Brain: Yeah. It's been tough.

Interviewer: So no talk to ever get the Limbo Maniacs back or anything like that?

Brain: No, we joke about it, but we're all too old now. Everybody's doing their own thing, you know.

Interviewer: No, you're not too old.

Brain: Yeah, that would be pretty funny. But yeah, I don't know. I mean, you know.

Interviewer: Not like a sequel to Shake It?

Brain: [laughs] Yeah, I think it was done like 20 something years ago and we still haven't written a song so I don't think it's gonna happen.

Interviewer: Has it ever been like an idea to put like a photo book album out or something like that? Because like there's hardly any photos of you online anywhere or anything. There's like five photos of you online.

Brain: Yeah I know, I never take any photos and put them out there. I don't know, because I'm not on Instagram. So I don't do anything, you know, and it's like, yeah, people are always joking, going, "Why don't you get on it and stuff?" And I'm just like, "Well, what, what?" I mean, I guess I got to get into it, you know, I don't know. I, you know, I made that website and there's not one photo of me or one picture. And I love it. And you can't even tell what this guy does or who it is. And I just think it's the greatest. It's just like, "Okay, yeah."

Interviewer: There's like this dark music playing in the background. Like, what is this? Bruce Lee suddenly flashes on screen.

Brain: Yeah, it's good stuff.

Interviewer: But you must have a photo collection all the times, like with Bernie and Bill and Bootsy and Bucket. You must have photo albums.

Brain: Yeah, no, really. Yeah, no, I never really do. I never really take photos. I don't know why. I hate seeing myself, so I never take it or whatever. But yeah, I don't know. I mean, it would be cool. I do want to get on social media again. I mean, you know. I was on it for a little bit back in the day, but I think that on this new thing, that composing thing that Melissa and I are doing, I think we got to bring that back up again. It's just that she's so busy with Guns and all that, but I think I'll probably be more present with it in the next year or so. Because I really want to promote stuff.

Interviewer: Fingers crossed I'll look out for it.

Brain: Yeah, man.

Interviewer: So I wanted to shout out a couple of names and just give you a shout out. first thought or instinct or whatever comment about them. Like the first thing that comes into your head or whatever. Yeah, okay. Bill Laswell.

Brain: Batman.

Interviewer: Richard Fortus.

Brain: Richard Fortus... He's the man.

Interviewer: The man.

Brain: He's the man.

Interviewer: Okay, Les Claypool.

Brain: I take it back, Les is the man.

Interviewer: You're gonna say the next man is the man, because he is the man. Bernie Warrell.

Brain: Oh, Bernie, he's... Bernie is... The first thing that comes to mind is like... He's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He's the baddest dude in the world. And I mean, he's the nicest guy, but he could be the baddest mother-fucker in the whole world if you double-cross him. Yeah. That's Bernie. That's what makes him great though. Doesn't take shit from anyone.

Interviewer: Great. Bootsy Collins.

Brain: That's where the funk train ends.

Interviewer: Yeah. Tommy Stinson.

Brain: Well Tommy, he's pure cred. He's the most street cred dude you'll ever meet.

Interviewer: Tom Waits.

Brain: Oh wow. I mean Tom is, I mean he's probably one of the greatest artists I've ever worked with. He's just a true artist.

Interviewer: Pete Scatturo.

Brain: He's the master of disaster.

Interviewer: Joe Gore.

Brain: Joe Gore is the world beat gospel.

Interviewer: The world beat gospel. Are you still in contact with him or not?

Brain: I haven't talked to Joe in a while, but you know, we email back and forth and stuff, but I feel like if I call them up right now, it would be like nothing's changed. We can just talk shop.

Interviewer: Straight in the pocket. Melissa, Melissa Reese.

Brain: Melissa Reese. She's a nice. She's like one of the probably... just talent. Just pure talent. Talent. That's what I...

Interviewer: Axl Rose.

Brian: I'd say that's a super talent.

Interviewer: Super talent.

Brain: What he does on stage... yeah, you can't fuck with that.

Interviewer: Yeah. Last but not least, Buckethead.

Brain: Bucket, I consider him a friend, a true friend.

Interviewer: And where would you say as a musician, where was he like at the peak?

Brain: As what's his name in, who was it, Khan or whatever, or what was the guy's name in Enter the Dragon? Khan, yeah. Yeah, extraordinary. Your style is extraordinary. That's what I think of Bucket.

Interviewer: Not like the other guy, Bolo. Is it Bolo, the big guy? Okay, well I think we're about done, man.

Brain: Well cool man, well I'm glad I could do this and yeah man, you know.

Interviewer: It's been an honor to talk to you, you're one of my favorite musicians and you know, look after yourself and say hi to the family.

Brain: Right on man, well same to you and keep in touch, let me know when it hits and stuff.

Interviewer: I will, thank you brother.

Brain: Right on, alright dude. Thanks man.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:58 pm

Finished transcribing the GN'R and Bucket stuff.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down