APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

GN'R silencing another fan forum?

2 posters

Go down

GN'R silencing another fan forum? Empty GN'R silencing another fan forum?

Post by Soulmonster Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:30 am

According to a moderator over at MYGNR they were asked to remove threads discussing the MSL documents:

First of all, we would like to apologise for not being able to communicate to you guys earlier. An unfortunate set of circumstances caught us out, involving most of us being extremely busy and Eric for a period having limited access to internet while in vacation in Cuba (MYGNR is blocked there, to make things more difficult).

Unfortunately, this period coincided with the delivery of fairly threatening letter delivered to Eric from Guns’ legal team that, in essence, demanded that we remove every and all topics relating to MSL and stolen data files “immediately”. Although we have responded to them, stressing that we do not believe that we have acted illegally in allowing members to hold discussions about the files, rather than face potential legal ramifications, we have chosen to respect their wishes that the topics cease to be posted.

As Eric was away, we felt it was inappropriate to reveal this to members until he returned – as the legal issues of the site are his business to handle.

Upon hearing that we were about to receive these letters, Bumblefoot contacted me on Facebook and essentially said that if it was any easier on us (in the wake of the letter), that it was OK for us to remove the threads he’d posted in. For now, we have done just that. We may restore them in the future at some point (we would really like to).

So, again – apologies for not letting you guys know why we suddenly removed all the threads about the incident. We were caught on the back foot and unfortunately didn’t have many options available to us. I hope this will satisfy any further complaints of “censorship” – we were simply acting in what we hoped were the best interests for the preservation of our site.

Thanks
- MYGNRFORUM Mod Team

What can I say? I have nothing against MYGNR's decision to comply with GN'R, it might be the most fan-like thing to do. Perhaps they could merge with HTGTH now and get some more members again? And from GN'R's point of view I think it is fair to say that they have handled the situation very well. Both MSL and the largest GN'R forum has been silenced to prevent the escalating rumour spread and to prevent the documents from leaking. Except for the fact that a list of contents was disclosed by a magazine this has all been effectively swept under the rug.

What I fear, though, is that people will continue to discuss the contents of the documents based on the list in the magazine. And this may very well be more damaging in the long run than just letting the documents leak. Few things can be as dangerous as fantasies and speculations. And eventually it will enter the public domain through new books and in-depth articles.

What is Appetite For Discussion's stand on all this? Well, MSL is a fucking leech and I am happy that he was silenced although it hurts me to think that he might have been paid off. He doesn't deserve any money from blackmailing artists with stolen property. I don't really care about MYGNR's decision, I can understand it to prevent any legal problems, but I don't think that GN'R's lawyers had any real case. Nothing was leaked, only members speculation and that is still legal in the US, right?

AFD has taken measures to limit the spread of devastating rumours. AFD shall not become an arena where anybody with a grudge may spread their lies. I don't mind rumours in general, but when they apparently take the form of being designed to tear down the very reason for AFD's existence, then I exercise my right to prevent it from entering my forum. Otherwise AD's members are free to discuss any rumours they might have.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76906

Back to top Go down

GN'R silencing another fan forum? Empty Re: GN'R silencing another fan forum?

Post by DanyYo Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Luckily for us, mygnr survived.
DanyYo
DanyYo

Plectra : 6373

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:51 pm

DanyYo wrote:Luckily for us, mygnr survived.

I don't know what I think. On one hand if it was shut down more members could have come here, but on the other hand mygnr has been a quite good forum in all these years. Now I don't know what to think of it. They didn't handle the Bumbles and MSL incident very well. They are suffering from dormant admins, too, I guess.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:26 pm

I still don't feel at ease there. I don't like its design & the way it works (I find it exasparating that I can't psot consecutive replies fast enough). But most of all I don't know the members well enough & who's who. I once got a very funny reply to a member who obviously knew me & it felt weird. GN'R silencing another fan forum? 1386742511
DanyYo
DanyYo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Don't worry about it, you are here now GN'R silencing another fan forum? 242178
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:04 pm

GN'R silencing another fan forum? 679352 This place feels good though I'm used to the other one. It's more busy & bitchy GN'R silencing another fan forum? 679352 I hope I can visit both. I now remeber about MLS & Bumblfoot. There was a very long heated thread on mygnr on the topic.
DanyYo
DanyYo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:26 am

DanyYo wrote:GN'R silencing another fan forum? 679352 This place feels good though I'm used to the other one. It's more busy & bitchy GN'R silencing another fan forum? 679352 I hope I can visit both. I now remeber about MLS & Bumblfoot. There was a very long heated thread on mygnr on the topic.

This place is getting busier all the time, but you can all help with that by putting out a good word and inviting friends over. I will do my part by adding more stuff and making it better and better.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:43 am

I may ask a friend. Hope it's OK with the other members.
DanyYo
DanyYo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:42 pm

DanyYo wrote:I may ask a friend. Hope it's OK with the other members.

The more the merrier Razz
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
DanyYo wrote:I may ask a friend. Hope it's OK with the other members.

The more the merrier GN'R silencing another fan forum? 240178

I asked 2 people. No luck so far GN'R silencing another fan forum? 78492
DanyYo
DanyYo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 pm

"Be my baby" registered earlier and today, and this evening someone called "Situation" joined us.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:27 pm

Soulmonster wrote:"Be my baby" registered earlier and today, and this evening someone called "Situation" joined us.

I've just posted I couldn't convince her hahahahaha She didn't tell me when we chatted this evening but i guess she doesn't tell me everything or simply forgot GN'R silencing another fan forum? 679352
DanyYo
DanyYo

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:28 pm

DanyYo wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:"Be my baby" registered earlier and today, and this evening someone called "Situation" joined us.

I've just posted I couldn't convince her hahahahaha She didn't tell me when we chatted this evening but i guess she doesn't tell me everything or simply forgot GN'R silencing another fan forum? 679352

Haha, well, the important thing is that she is here now Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down