APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1985.03.24 - Interview with the band on KPFK

Go down

1985.03.24 - Interview with the band on KPFK Empty 1985.03.24 - Interview with the band on KPFK

Post by Soulmonster Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 am

Transcript:

KPFK: Well, I don't know too much history of this band except that it formed from two bands, LA Guns and [the band helps her] Hollywood Rose.

Izzy: Yeah, we are all from the gutter and we formed together and we're just playing around. We got a gig! April 11th at Radio City.

KPFK: Where's Radio City?

Izzy: Radio City is down in the ghettos of Orange County. And April the 25th at the Dancing Waters Club down in San Pedro. That's a Thursday night I think, and plus, don't forget the Troubadour show this Tuesday night.

KPFK: That's the local show?

Izzy: Yeah, with [?] and Vinyl Fetish [?]

KPFK: LA Guns put out a record a few months back on Raz' Records...

Someone: Good ol' Raz.

KPFK: ...it was the group before. Okay, so we have here...Tracii and Izzy, and Rob. Uhm, there was somebody else...

Someone: Axl's up in the [?]

Someone: Axl's getting [?]

KPFK: Can't smoke in here.

KPFK: Who is in this band, what do you all do, and what is this tape we're gonna play?

Izzy: This is Guns N' Roses and the band is myself, Izzy, Izzy Stranded, guitar, Tracii Guns, guitar, Axl Rose on vocals, Axl and I came from Hollywood Rose originally, and Rob Gardner on drums, and Duff plays bass. This song's called 'Don't Cry Tonight' and it's a song Axl and I just wrote a couple of weeks ago. It's kinda a sad song. But it is cool. So you know everybody, grab a Kleenex.

[Parts of Don't Cry is played]

KPFK: This is still KPFK Los Angeles and we're still here with [?] [the band chimes in] Guns N' Roses.

Izzy: The band Guns N' Roses, a lot of people probably haven't heard of it 'cause it is two bands combined, like we're saying LA Guns and Hollywood Rose, and basically a rock and roll band, you know. I guess the roots go back to all kinds of stuff, early Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Stones, you know, Iggy. Tracii met Jimmy Page at the Rainbow last week. We got all kinds of different influences. And we're gonna be playing around and we hope all kinds of people come to see us. I like the Fetish Crowd [?] and once in a while I go to the Rainbow [?], Glam Slam, all those places.

KPFK: Speaking of those places, we have the infamous Missy and Psychedelic Stew here of the Glam Slam and Fetish Crowd and they are happy answering your phone calls and you can call and talk to them. And you can call and talk to Guns N' Roses.

Someone: Yeah, we'll talk.

KPFK: 818-5-KPFK.

Someone in low voice: Ask for Traci.

KPFK: Ask for Tracii, he is somewhere [?]

Someone: Yeah, he is bored [?]

Axl: [unintelligbly] .. one place where you are vulnerable.

Izzy: Yeah, so we are placing this Tuesday, at what, the 26th? At the Troubadour, 10 o'clock. You can pick up flyers, get them free. Don't have to spend any money.

Axl: [unintelligble]... it will be a white van.

Izzy: You will see the van says La Guns, which is going to be changed [laughter] Get some spray paint. Yeah, and also final party...

Axl: Meet me at Kenny's Restaurant! It's on [?] In 24 hours, I will buy [?]

Izzy [?]: Vinyl Fetish, Tower Records, Tower Videos, they all got our flyers with our mugs on and our names and everything. Rob, you have anything to say for yourself?

Rob: What?

KPFK: What do you do, Rob?

Izzy: Rob's the drummer!

KPFK: He plays drums!

Izzy (?): He is pretty good!

Rob: I play drums, I [?]

Izzy (?): The songs you just heard. We just actually did them before we came in here. Just a couple of hours ago we had a rehearsal [?] and you know we had to put something together for you guys. We got a EP coming up, it's gonna be a picture disc, and it will include...

Axl: 'Heartbreak Hotel'!

Izzy (?): By Elvis Prestley. The song 'Don't Cry', which you just heard, the slow one. 'I Think About You'. And another one that everybody still like (?), 'Anything Goes', a really hot song (?). I'll cue (?) the tape up.

Axl mumbling in the background.

KPFK: Who is this? Who is this person?

Axl: This is Axl Rose from LA Guns and for anyone who is out there, this is still live tonight, and this is 'Anything Goes'!

['Anything' Goes is played. During the song Axl introduces Duff: "And on the bass, brand new, Duff!"]

KPFK: Yeah, well, that was Guns N' Roses with 'Anything Goes'...

Someone: Thank you!

KPFK: ...that's about what this is tonight, anything goes.

The band cheers.

KPFK: And come see them at the Troubadour.

Axl: Come see me in 5 minutes at Kenny's Restaurant at (?), right across the street!

KPFK: Thank you guys, see you later! This is KPFK Los Angeles.

Someone: Bye! Take care!

[It was hard to understand everything that was said. Some of the quotes attributed to Izzy might have been from Tracii.]

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

rrls likes this post

Back to top Go down

1985.03.24 - Interview with the band on KPFK Empty Re: 1985.03.24 - Interview with the band on KPFK

Post by Soulmonster Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:08 pm

The interviewer for KPFK was DJ Hope. The songs they play was recorded in Willie Basse's studio (Wilpower Studios) right off the mixing board, according to Raz. Tracii's mom recorded the show on cassette and gave a copy to Raz, which he then uploaded to Youtube in 2018.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1985.03.24 - Interview with the band on KPFK Empty Re: 1985.03.24 - Interview with the band on KPFK

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:31 pm

About Vinyl Fetish:

Vinyl Fetish was a record store on Melrose Avenue in Hollywood that was owned and operated by two local scene-makers named Joseph Brooks and Henry Peck. They were well known in the Hollywood post-punk crowd for running several popular late-night dance clubs around town. Henry was also one of the hair-cutters of the stars. The store was one of the best and most trendy in town, carrying all the most obscure punk and post-punk recordings.
Source: http://mlcompton.blogspot.com/2009/04/punk-rock-stories-my-days-at-vinyl.html

Glam Slam was a club.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:49 am

Raz talking about how the interview happened:

Izzy set it up. Izzy, when L.A. Guns and Guns N' Roses got together, Izzy was kind of like the big star of our town because he was in a band called London. It was kind of like a big draw and everything like. So L.A. Guns were like wannabes at the time. L.A. Guns had a draw but London was established. And Izzy was part of London and then people liked Izzy and then he just had the whole Melrose connection. So I think, like, if memory serves correct, that lady that was the DJ in that interview, she had some kind of ties to the Vinyl Fetish record store. Izzy knew her from down there or maybe they knew her and they said, "Hey Izzy, you could get your band on here."

And how he converted the cassette to digital:

Yeah, I just had it [=the interview]. I had it on a cassette and I did a weird transfer like, you know, like nine years ago and the levels were so low, it was terrible. And then like just did it again, like two years ago, I bought like a different way to transfer, like USB transfer. It's really kind of a low quality transfer that I did to my computer anyway. I could probably get some better sound out of that if I just did it like, you know, like a better tape deck and do a better, you know, set up all the sound parameters before I transferred it. I didn't do any of that. I just like put some little $15 Amazon cassette player USB into my computer and recorded like that.

Duff, who had joined in the rehearsals just hours before the interview took place and where they recorded the songs that was played during the interview, was absent from the interview because he had to get up early the next day for his job:

[Duff] just did the rehearsal and then he went home and he had a nine to five or so. He went home and went to bed and went to work the next day.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down