APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA

3 posters

Go down

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Empty 2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 am

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1

February 11, 2010
John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA
Setlist:
01. You're Crazy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Used to Love Her
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. Street of Dreams
06. Sorry
07. It's So Easy
08. Patience
09. Rocket Queen
10. Catcher in the Rye
11. My Michelle
12. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
13. Whole Lotta Rosie
14. Paradise City
15. Sweet Child O' Mine
16. This I Love
17. Nightrain

Date:

Venue:
John Varvatos Store.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals
Richard Fortus: Rhythm guitarist
Bumblefoot: Lead guitarist
Dj Ashba: Lead guitarist
Tommy Stinson: Bass
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Dizzy Reed: Keyboards
Chris Pitman: Keyboards.

Notes:
An acoustic show played at the site of the former CGCB's.

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Rightarrow Next concert:.
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: .

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76906

Back to top Go down

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Empty Re: 2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:58 pm

The New York Post, February 12, 2010:
Axl not sweet to fashionistas

While only Fashion Week can persuade Guns N' Roses to play a secret show for 200 fans, it can't force frontman Axl Rose to turn up on time. The rock wildman was nearly three hours late for his show, leaving the well-heeled crowd -- including designer John Varvatos, p.r. icon Kelly Cutrone, One Model Management chief Scott Lipps and photographer Mick Rock -- waiting in a sweaty VIP area until just before 1 a.m. yesterday for the band to take the stage at the Varvatos store in the East Village. Once onstage, Rose -- who one guest said looked like Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" -- wouldn't stop and played until 3 a.m. The band continued the party at E__P, the music venue downstairs, until 5 a.m., when Axl shouted, "We're going to a club." As Axl staggered out, The Post's Brian Niemietz asked him how late he stays out at night and the sweat-drenched star snarled, "As long as it takes."
https://web.archive.org/web/20100216042905/http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/axl_not_sweet_to_fashionistas_VXAHw9Xmi4Rdw05Cx78IDP

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Empty Re: 2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:52 pm

Review in New York Magazine/Vulture, February 12, 2010:
Guns N’ Roses Played New York Last Night

By Amos Barshad

Whoa! Guns N’ Roses played a tiny, secret New York show last night and you weren’t there! Don’t feel too bad, though, cause neither were we, or most normal people, actually — it was a Fashion Week party at the John Varvatos store (the former CBGB) with a crowd full of glamorous, famous people like Kevin Bacon and Sebastian Bach, and the line to get in went for hours (if you are a glamorous, famous Vulture reader and actually were there last night, please do tell in the comments). But it wasn’t no skimpy “guest appearance” where a band does three songs and then gets drunk on free Champagne the rest of the night: GNR ran through an awesome seventeen-song set with only three Chinese Democracy tracks (“Catcher in the Rye,” “Street of Dreams,” and “This I Love” — or, as they’re known around Vulture HQ, the two good ones and one shitty one). BrooklynVegan has the whole set list and photos; below, you can check out a lighting-challenged video of Axl Rose awkwardly dancing his way through “My Michelle.” (He’s not used to such petite stages!) By the way, our fashion-forward sisters at The Cut hear Axl may be hanging around the city for the rest of Fashion Week, if you’re into celebrity stalking at all. Anyway, how did you enjoy 30 Rock last night?
https://www.vulture.com/2010/02/guns-n-roses_played_new_york_l.html

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:55 pm

Brooklyn Vegan, Feb. 12, 2010:
Guns n Roses played the Varvatos store (pics, video, setlist)

Alberta Cross did in fact play the fashion week party at the Varvatos Store on Thursday night, but it ended up that they were only the opener for a much larger band. That band was Axl Rose and friends aka "Guns n Roses". Packed when it started, people waited for hours for the headliner to appear in the store that used to be CBGB. Over 90 minutes later, after Axl and band had finished a set of seventeen songs to the lucky (and fashionable) people in attendance (like Sebastian Bach and Kevin Bacon), the room was less than half full. People apparently couldn't stay awake - not because of the performance, but because of the (type of crowd it was and the) long wait time followed by the late ending. The show ended around 2:45am.

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:59 pm

Pictures from the Brooklyn Vegan article above:

photos by Nate "Igor" Smith

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA 410
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA 112
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA 210
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA 310
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA 510
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA 610
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA 710

Guns n Roses @ The Varvatos Store, NYC - 2/11/2010 (by theBigPA)

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Gunsro10

Photos by Josh

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Gunsro11
2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Gunsro12

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/guns-n-roses-pl-2/#more
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by drivenbyboredom Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:56 pm

I have a google alert set up for my name and saw this forum because of the pictures I took (the top ones, and am in the bottom photos in the denim vest). I just appreciate archival projects like this so I wanted to upload Axl's set list I managed to grab. It was pretty destroyed but it was destroyed by him stepping on it so maybe that's cooler than one in good shape...

Turns out because I am a new member I can't upload anything for a week so here's the end of the servimg link if someone else wants to post it for me.

servimg /u/f80/20/35/69/51/img_7710.jpg
drivenbyboredom
drivenbyboredom

Plectra : 1114

Soulmonster and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:18 pm

drivenbyboredom wrote:I have a google alert set up for my name and saw this forum because of the pictures I took (the top ones, and am in the bottom photos in the denim vest). I just appreciate archival projects like this so I wanted to upload Axl's set list I managed to grab. It was pretty destroyed but it was destroyed by him stepping on it so maybe that's cooler than one in good shape...

Turns out because I am a new member I can't upload anything for a week so here's the end of the servimg link if someone else wants to post it for me.

servimg /u/f80/20/35/69/51/img_7710.jpg
Thank you and welcome!

Here is the picture:

2010.02.11 - John Varvatos Store, New York, NY, USA Img_7710

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

drivenbyboredom likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:44 pm

That's ridiculously cool! Thanks for sharing the setlist image. I will use it in the history section when I add it and credit you.

Did you enjoy the show and did you work for Brooklyn Vegan, or maybe you were a freelance photographer?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by drivenbyboredom Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:05 am

That's kinda an interesting story. I'm a freelance photographer and I was actually working for a fashion blog at the time because it was a New York Fashion Week event. The fashion blog put me on the guest list but there were a million people on it and only 150 or so people could get in. By the time I got there it was packed and the people in front of me tried to offer the bouncer $200 to get in but he turned them down. I thought it was hopeless but I saw he was wearing a Pabst Blue Ribbon beanie and so was another security guard so I thought that there was a chance that the Manhattan brand rep for PBR was at the event because he was a friend of mine. I texted him and he was there and he tried to talk to the girl who ran the list and she told him there was no chance she could let anyone in so he came out to tell me. While he was talking to me the bouncer asked him if he had any more hats and he told the guy if he let me in he would hook him up and the guy just let me in. He wouldn't take $200 but he let me in for two PBR beanies. It was crazy.

I was the only photographer there and it was this crazy intimate show and I knew the photos were gonna be valuable so I actually sold them to TMZ. They made fun of Axl and called the gallery "Sweat Child Of Mine" which sucked because I enjoyed the show a ton and didn't want my name on a negative article, but they paid me $1500 for them so I wasn't gonna complain too much. I shoot for Brooklyn Vegan from time to time so I sold them to them as well but for way, way less money. I think I might have even given them to the fashion blog for free since they sent me down there and I sold their photos, but they understood. I also sold a bunch of prints to some GNR fans who found me via TMZ which was cool as well.

I did a write up of the show on my site if you guys want more info: drivenbyboredom DOT com/2010/02/12/guns-roses-john-varvatos/
drivenbyboredom
drivenbyboredom

Plectra : 1114

Soulmonster and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:41 pm

drivenbyboredom wrote:That's kinda an interesting story. I'm a freelance photographer and I was actually working for a fashion blog at the time because it was a New York Fashion Week event. The fashion blog put me on the guest list but there were a million people on it and only 150 or so people could get in. By the time I got there it was packed and the people in front of me tried to offer the bouncer $200 to get in but he turned them down. I thought it was hopeless but I saw he was wearing a Pabst Blue Ribbon beanie and so was another security guard so I thought that there was a chance that the Manhattan brand rep for PBR was at the event because he was a friend of mine. I texted him and he was there and he tried to talk to the girl who ran the list and she told him there was no chance she could let anyone in so he came out to tell me. While he was talking to me the bouncer asked him if he had any more hats and he told the guy if he let me in he would hook him up and the guy just let me in. He wouldn't take $200 but he let me in for two PBR beanies. It was crazy.

I was the only photographer there and it was this crazy intimate show and I knew the photos were gonna be valuable so I actually sold them to TMZ. They made fun of Axl and called the gallery "Sweat Child Of Mine" which sucked because I enjoyed the show a ton and didn't want my name on a negative article, but they paid me $1500 for them so I wasn't gonna complain too much. I shoot for Brooklyn Vegan from time to time so I sold them to them as well but for way, way less money. I think I might have even given them to the fashion blog for free since they sent me down there and I sold their photos, but they understood. I also sold a bunch of prints to some GNR fans who found me via TMZ which was cool as well.

I did a write up of the show on my site if you guys want more info: drivenbyboredom DOT com/2010/02/12/guns-roses-john-varvatos/

Well, aren't you lucky Very Happy Thanks for sharing that cool story with us. Always great to hear from people who have been at the shows, especially these more exclusive ones.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:14 am

Thank you for sharing, @drivenbyboredom

---------

From a later interview (January 7, 2011) with John Varvatos in the Wall Street Journal:
John Varvatos wrote:Guns N' Roses came to the Bowery store to headline New York Fashion Week and they were meant to perform four songs for me. In the end, they played for two and a half hours solid. It was a complete surprise and an amazing show that was talked about for weeks. One of the guys from ZZ Top said it was one of his five greatest moments in music.
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/SB10001424052748704679204575647231557222208
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Interestingly, in June 2013, Tommy's oldest daughter was working at the John Varvatos store in New York:

You know, my daughter works, my oldest daughter, works for John Varvatos and in the shop, in the Bowery [...]

Did she work there before the show in February 2010 and were somehow involved in getting GN'R to play there? Did she get the job because GN'R played there? Or just coincidental?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down