APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2015.02.20 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy

2 posters

Go down

2015.02.20 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy Empty 2015.02.20 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy

Post by Soulmonster Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:38 am

Listen to it here: http://www.wmmr.com/shows/matt-cord/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10669552

Transcript:

Matt Cord: 93.3 WIMMR and with us now, the bass player and founding member of the legendary band The Replacements, Tommy Stinson. Tommy, Matt Cord here in Philly, I'm a huge fan.

Tommy: Mattie, how are you? Love you, man. It's great to hear you.

MC: How are you?

Tommy: I'm doing good. Hey, let me ask you real quick. Who did the Sixers get in the trade.

[cut away sports talk]

MC: So anyway, earlier this week the Replacements announced la two-month tour of the states, including a show in Philly, May 9th, Festival Pier. Tommy, did  you ever think this day would happen?

Tommy: Well, no [laughing]. No, I mean, we've talked about it here and there for a while and now even Jeff Gordon got in on the conversation a while back, like, "Hey, you guys should do this." So you know, we talked about it and you know, finally came around like, you know, we pulled the trigger on it just because it seemed like the right time. I think Paulie and I needed to kind of have some time together and you know it's worked out great. We some fun shows.

MC: Yeah, I got to see two of your shows. I got to see Forest Hills in September and October, Austin City Limits. And you sounded great. I mean, you know, I've seen you guys before that, but you sounded great. Paul, his voice is better than ever.

Tommy: Yeah. you know, he's had time to work on that [laughing].

MC: But it seemed, it seemed like you guys are having a lot of fun, too.

Tommy: Yeah, that's about all we got. We can have fun and it's probably where we're at.

MC: You brought out the hammocks in Austin.

Tommy: Yeah, shenanigans for days.

MC: That was great. Now, do you remember the last time the Replacements played Philadelphia?

Tommy: No, I don't remember but I am pretty sure you and I were hanging out.

MC: It was June 15, 1991 at the Mann Music Center and you guys were opening up for Elvis Costello.

Tommy: Oh, that's right, that outdoor [?]. That was actually one of teh funnier shows of that little run with him, it was a good show, a good crowd. You know, before we did the Elvis Costello opening act, we did that Tom Petty tour and I think that we got kind of killed [?], I think that Elvis Costello was a better fit for us..

MC: Didn't you get thrown off the Tom Petty tour?

Tommy: Roughly.

MC: Oh, so anyway, besides the Mats stuff, Tommy, you're still doing your solo stuff, right?

Tommy: Yeah, I still do my thing. I'm probably going to put another record out at some point. You know, do my round of charitable business that I do. You know, I still have a little school in Haiti that I try to raise money for and they've lost most of their funding this last year that they had from France and Belgium, and I think I need to get in there and kind of do my best to kind of help them out. Because they're all the kids that deserve an education, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, you know.

MC: And people can help you out on that by just going to your website, right?

Tommy: Yeah, they can go there and they find out what it's all about.

MC: The website, is it tommystinson.com?

Tommy: That's it. Little old me. Still here, breathing.

MC: So you're doing the solo stuff. Are you still doing anything with Soul Asylum? Anything with Guns N' Roses?

Tommy: I got nothing on both of those right now. Well, my my buddy Winston Roye actually took my place in Soul Asylum. He was available more readily than I was and is a great bass player, really good guy, I like him a lot-

MC: What's his name again?

Tommy:  Winston Roye.

MC: Winston Roye.

Tommy: Yep.

MC: OK.

Tommy: And Guns, I'm not sure what's going on with that. I've kind of been out of loop on that a little bit. But, you know,  that's a cyclical event there.

MC: Well, it works out well that you guys can go on the road for two months and don't have to worry about, you know, that.

Tommy: Yeah, I don't know, you know, I'm pretty much free and clear to do what I want when I do what I want.

MC: Is there going to be a new Replacements record anytime soon?

Tommy: Oh, that's the $1,000,000 question that I have no answer for. I know nothing, man.

MC: OK, so it's not a dead deal, but it could happen.

Tommy: Yeah. Anything's possible.

MC: And besides you and Paul, it's Josh Freese and Dave... how do you say his last name?

Tommy: Dave Minehan. He was in the neighborhood back in the 1900s.

MC: And Josh Freese has played with everybody.

Tommy: Yeah, he still does first out.

MC: Yeah. Like, how did you lock him into a two-month tour?

Tommy: I'm not sure [laughing]. You have to talk to upper management for that one.

MC: OK. Also, when you guys get here in May, one of your openers is J Roddy Walston And the Business.

Tommy: Yeah, I heard they're really good. I haven't yet heard them myself, but I hear they're really kind of a fun rock band. What do you know?

MC: I know you and I know your musical taste, and I know you'll like them.

Tommy: Well, there you have it [?].

MC: Yeah, and we play them a lot on the air too, their new stuff.

Tommy: Very cool. Awesome.

MC: Well, Tommy, I'm gonna let you go and enjoy the Big Apple, New York City.

Tommy: Thanks, Maddie. You have a great night. We'll talk to you real soon.

MC: Alright, buddy, take care time.

Tommy: Talk to you later.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

2015.02.20 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy Empty Re: 2015.02.20 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:30 pm

Transcribed this.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

2015.02.20 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy Empty Re: 2015.02.20 - Matt Cord, 93.3 WIMMR Rocks! - Interview with Tommy

Post by Blackstar Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:42 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Transcribed this.
You're very fast Smile
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:13 pm

Blackstar wrote:

You're very fast Smile

You know, it goes in cycles. Right now I have some time before it gets busy again. My plan is to get to 2018 by the end of this year so I can be ajour by the end of 2024. Then I will go through all the chapters, re-write bits, rearrange, add more text, more images, and then the first version will be done. Then I will start transcribing all the interviews that haven't been transcribed and reach out to people for comments and clarification. At least that is the plan.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:25 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
You're very fast Smile
You know, it goes in cycles. Right now I have some time before it gets busy again. My plan is to get to 2018 by the end of this year so I can be ajour by the end of 2024. Then I will go through all the chapters, re-write bits, rearrange, add more text, more images, and then the first version will be done. Then I will start transcribing all the interviews that haven't been transcribed and reach out to people for comments and clarification. At least that is the plan.
I will be busy in the next few months as well, but hopefully I'll be able to add more articles to the database; and in the summer, when I'll have more free time, to start transcribing older interviews that haven't been transcribed.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Soulmonster and Uli like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down