APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2012.11.DD - TC Electronics - Richard Fortus' Space Echo

Go down

2012.11.DD - TC Electronics - Richard Fortus' Space Echo Empty 2012.11.DD - TC Electronics - Richard Fortus' Space Echo

Post by Soulmonster Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:44 am

Richard Fortus' Space Echo
Richard Fortus' Space Echo TonePrint is a saturated tape delay with moderate modulation on the delay repeats. The highs are just slightly reduced as you would expect with a "fresh tape".

TC: Who inspired you over the years when you were creating your own personal guitar tone?
Richard: Thin Lizzy (Scott Gorham, Gary Moore, Brian Robertson) and Robert Fripp was a huge Inspiration. Especially the stuff he did with Bowie on 'Scary Monsters', early King Crimson, 'I talk to the wind' as well as later records like 'Discipline' and '3 of a Perfect Pair'. Jeff Beck was a big inspiration when I was growing up. That kind of playing is what I'm really attracted to. Nobody plays like Jeff Beck and he's constantly getting better. The live record he did with Pino Palladino and Vinnie Colaiuta! They were rehearsing next to us, and my tech and I would go down early and sit outside of his room and just listen. The sound he gets just out of his amp, a wah, a Rat pedal and a strat! And a whole lot of talent. In my book he's the greatest living guitar player. Snakefinger was also a very underrated guitarplayer and Adrian Blue as well. Also players like Hendrix, Curtis Mayfield, Albert King, Santana and Mick Taylor.

TC: What amps do you use to get your tone?
Richard: I have a couple of amps that I always go back to. Like old Selmer Zodiacs. I collect those. The guy who designed the Zodiacs left Selmer and started his own company Kelly Amps. Those amps are phenomenal. I have a 100 watt and a couple of 50ties. I'm using two Voodoo amps on tour with Lizzy. In the studio I use a Kelly PA head converted into an amp by Voodoo Amps. I like some Carlsbro amps too, as well as the classic vintage Marshall, Hiwatt, Vox, Orange, Fender and Gibson amps.

TC: How do you approach a track in a recording situation?
Richard: I try to ask myself – “what does this track need?”. Do I hear a swirl, phase, a flange, a vibrato…knowing your gear is important and I guess that's why I continue to work, because I am very tuned in to getting the tones that I (or a producer or artist), want to hear. I know what amp/guitar/fx combination will best deliver the tone I hear in my head.

TC: Do you work on developing your tone continuously, or do you feel that you have found a fundamental tone that will last throughout your career?
Richard: I like to paint with a big palette. I like to have a lot of colors to work with and different textures. When I'm writing or get a call for a session I like to have a lot to choose from, which is great now, that I can do studio work at home, where I have all my amps, pedals and guitars.

TC: While creating TC Toneprints you had access to a lot of additional parameters to tweak. Did any new ideas for future tones pop up in the process?
Richard: Yes it was great. To have a reverse delay with more control. With the Shaker Vibrato I thought my suggestions would be really limited and subtle. But with the tweakable parameter it is much more than a vibrato. I'm really digging it. It's very musical.
With the FlashBack Delay I wanted to do was some kind of modulated, basic tape-delay. Ideally I wanted some feedback, but I didn't know, that I'd be able to get it, - so that was a pleasant surprise.

Source: http://www.tcelectronic.com/toneprintdownload.asp?AjrDcmntId=12361
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76738

Back to top Go down