APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil

4 posters

Go down

1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil Empty 1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by Soulmonster Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 pm

Date:
December 12, 1992.

Venue:
Estacionamento Do Anhenbi.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Live and Let Die
04. Attitude
05. Welcome to the Jungle
06. Yesterdays
07. Double Talkin' Jive
08. Civil War
09. Patience
10. November Rain
11. You Could Be Mine
12. Sweet Child O'Mine
13. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
14. Don't Cry
15. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil Rightarrow Next concert: 1992.12.13.
1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil Leftarrow Previous concert: 1992.12.10.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76906

Back to top Go down

1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil Empty Re: 1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by Blackstar Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:34 am

Craig Duswalt wrote:
The second show in São Paulo was postponed, due to heavy rains. However, Guns N’ Roses played the next night with the 120,000 fans in attendance standing in the mud. It was a mess.
Source: Craig Duswalt, Welcome To My Jungle, BenBella Books, May 2014.

Craig Duswalt was Axl's personal assistant at the time.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 90377

Back to top Go down

1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil Empty Re: 1992.12.12 - Estacionamento Do Anhenbi, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by ludurigan Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:08 pm

I am pretty sure they played Nightrain in one of the two São Paulo shows, probably on the second.
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5646

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:00 pm

ludurigan wrote:I am pretty sure they played Nightrain in one of the two São Paulo shows, probably on the second.

Hmm, I neither setlist.fm o gnrontour has Nightrain listed for any of the Sao Paulo shows. Why do you think it was played?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:42 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
ludurigan wrote:I am pretty sure they played Nightrain in one of the two São Paulo shows, probably on the second.

Hmm, I neither setlist.fm o gnrontour has Nightrain listed for any of the Sao Paulo shows. Why do you think it was played?

I attended both shows, I am pretty sure Nightrain was played on the second show.

Nightrain is one of my favourite GN'R songs that i was hoping for them to play, along with Rocket Queen.

I was considering taking a banner "please play Rocket Queen" for the second show but ended up not doing it.

They played basically the same fucking stupid short lazy setlist on both shows. The only difference worth of note for me was Nightrain. I remember thinking "well, that was worth the ticket price for the second (nearly identical) show!"

The rest of the 2 setlists seems to be correct, the shows were a cheaper and shorter version of the Paris 1992 show that was broadcasted live in Brazil about five to six months prior to the Brazil shows.
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Whisky Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:11 am

ludurigan wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:

I attended both shows, I am pretty sure Nightrain was played on the second show.

Nightrain is one of my favourite GN'R songs that i was hoping for them to play, along with Rocket Queen.

I was considering taking a banner "please play Rocket Queen" for the second show but ended up not doing it.

They played basically the same fucking stupid short lazy setlist on both shows. The only difference worth of note for me was Nightrain. I remember thinking "well, that was worth the ticket price for the second (nearly identical) show!"

The rest of the 2 setlists seems to be correct, the shows were a cheaper and shorter version of the Paris 1992 show that was broadcasted live in Brazil about five to six months prior to the Brazil shows.

And how was your experience at both shows? We hardly have any feedback, so it would be really cool for you to tell us how it went.

Did you record the 2 shows or know someone who did it but didn't share it on the internet?
Whisky
Whisky

Plectra : 1912

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:48 am

No I didn’t record it.

MTV Brazil has recorded some of it (probably the first two or three songs of the first night) and they aired a few takes of "Yesterday".

Maybe they aired a few takes of one or two other tracks that I can not remember.

I have it recorded on VHS somewhere.

I don’t think anyone has recorded audio or video of any of the two shows.

The taper culture in Brazil back then in the 90s was basically non-existent.

My experience?

It was basically of disappointment.

I had spent the last 3 YEARS listening non-stop to Guns n Roses and I just fucking couldn’t get enough of them.

(still cant!)

But what I saw on those two shows had absolutely NOTHING to do with the band that I was in love with.

I was right up there in front of the stage for both shows.

I was basically 20 feet away from Axl, Slash and Duff.

And it was shocking to see.

Specially Axl.

He was moving like a robot, doing the exact same auto-pilot moves of the Paris 1992 show. He clearly wasn’t feeling it and he clearly didn’t want to be there.

It was the exact opposite of how he moved and sang on the videos that I had spent years watching like Ritz 1988 and the promos.

On those videos, you could see that Axl was feeling the songs and was clearly giving his best and enjoying himself.

In 1992 he was jaded, bored, he seemed like a corporate worker that was sick of his job and wanted to get the fuck out of there as soon as possible.

But of course that he was such a pro that he went through the motions and did all the screaming and running and moving etc.

He did fool the the crowd.

Not me.

Sad to watch.

And it was not only Axl.

The band didn’t sound good.

In fact, to my ears, it sounded bad.

It sounded mechanical.

I didn’t know why at the time.

But later watching videos from 1991, 1992 and 1993 it became obvious that Izzy and Steven (specially Izzy) were the missing links to the band I loved.

(and of course the Dizzy, Tracy and Roberta circus only made it worse)

I really tried to enjoy those two shows.

And I think i kinda did enjoy it for brief moments at certain times during certain songs.

Like how can you NOT enjoy that shit.

But it was too awful to ignore.

I was so disappointed that to this day I still consider that I haven’t seen a live show of my favourite band.

Yes, I have seen Axl, Slash and Duff pretending to be Guns n Roses in 1992.

Yes, I have seen Axl and his hired guns trying to be who knows what in 2001.

Yes, since 2001 I have decided not to go on more "Guns n Roses" shows than I can remember, including more than one "reunion" show with Slash and Duff.

Yes, I have seen one show from a Slash solo tour and I felt bored pretty fast (Myles didn’t help).

The closest thing that I ever got to watch Guns n Roses, I guess, was an Adlers Appetite show in a small bar called Manifesto in Sao Paulo about 10 years ago.

Once again I was about 20 feet from the stage.

Lucky me.

Steven played those songs exactly like he did at the videos that I have watched so many times.

He was so fucking good.

SO.

FUCKING.

GOOD.

And he smiled for the entire fucking show.

Fuck, there he was!

My favourite drummer ever!

20 feet away from me!

And playing like he plays! Moving like he moves! Smiling like he smiles!

It was HIM.

I RECOGNIZED the guy.

On those two shitty, shitty, shitty Brazilian shows in 1992, it was the opposite.

I didn’t recognize anyone.
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:41 pm

That's interesting. Seems we have quite similar opinions on when GN'R was at its peak. Unfortunately I never got to see the band perform in the 90s (or 80s), but I remember distinctly my feeling of not being impressed when I saw the band on TV from the Paris show in 1992. It simply wasn't the band I was interested in. I like the images from shows in the 80s, the club band, the tight, cohesive group (at least it felt like it was); not the bloated band in the 90s where I felt they just "put on a show". I liked the music more before, too, the interplay between Slash and Izzy, the rolling drums. It just didn't look or sound right, to me.

Paradoxically, the band just grew bigger in the 90s due to the massive tour and UYIs, while I grew less interested.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Whisky Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm

ludurigan wrote:No I didn’t record it.

MTV Brazil has recorded some of it (probably the first two or three songs of the first night) and they aired a few takes of "Yesterday".

Maybe they aired a few takes of one or two other tracks that I can not remember.

I have it recorded on VHS somewhere.

I don’t think anyone has recorded audio or video of any of the two shows.

The taper culture in Brazil back then in the 90s was basically non-existent.

My experience?

It was basically of disappointment.

I had spent the last 3 YEARS listening non-stop to Guns n Roses and I just fucking couldn’t get enough of them.

(still cant!)

But what I saw on those two shows had absolutely NOTHING to do with the band that I was in love with.

I was right up there in front of the stage for both shows.

I was basically 20 feet away from Axl, Slash and Duff.

And it was shocking to see.

Specially Axl.

He was moving like a robot, doing the exact same auto-pilot moves of the Paris 1992 show. He clearly wasn’t feeling it and he clearly didn’t want to be there.

It was the exact opposite of how he moved and sang on the videos that I had spent years watching like Ritz 1988 and the promos.

On those videos, you could see that Axl was feeling the songs and was clearly giving his best and enjoying himself.

In 1992 he was jaded, bored, he seemed like a corporate worker that was sick of his job and wanted to get the fuck out of there as soon as possible.

But of course that he was such a pro that he went through the motions and did all the screaming and running and moving etc.

He did fool the the crowd.

Not me.

Sad to watch.

And it was not only Axl.

The band didn’t sound good.

In fact, to my ears, it sounded bad.

It sounded mechanical.

I didn’t know why at the time.

But later watching videos from 1991, 1992 and 1993 it became obvious that Izzy and Steven (specially Izzy) were the missing links to the band I loved.

(and of course the Dizzy, Tracy and Roberta circus only made it worse)

I really tried to enjoy those two shows.

And I think i kinda did enjoy it for brief moments at certain times during certain songs.

Like how can you NOT enjoy that shit.

But it was too awful to ignore.

I was so disappointed that to this day I still consider that I haven’t seen a live show of my favourite band.

Yes, I have seen Axl, Slash and Duff pretending to be Guns n Roses in 1992.

Yes, I have seen Axl and his hired guns trying to be who knows what in 2001.

Yes, since 2001 I have decided not to go on more "Guns n Roses" shows than I can remember, including more than one "reunion" show with Slash and Duff.

Yes, I have seen one show from a Slash solo tour and I felt bored pretty fast (Myles didn’t help).

The closest thing that I ever got to watch Guns n Roses, I guess, was an Adlers Appetite show in a small bar called Manifesto in Sao Paulo about 10 years ago.

Once again I was about 20 feet from the stage.

Lucky me.

Steven played those songs exactly like he did at the videos that I have watched so many times.

He was so fucking good.

SO.

FUCKING.

GOOD.

And he smiled for the entire fucking show.

Fuck, there he was!

My favourite drummer ever!

20 feet away from me!

And playing like he plays! Moving like he moves! Smiling like he smiles!

It was HIM.

I RECOGNIZED the guy.

On those two shitty, shitty, shitty Brazilian shows in 1992, it was the opposite.

I didn’t recognize anyone.

Your testimony was sensational, thank you very much for contributing. I agree with you, the band at the end of 1992 was very tired because they were on tour for a year and a half and that made them very tired physically and mentally too. Axl was 100% different from 1991, but his voice was good at the time.

I particularly like the UYI Tour in 1991 and early 1992.

Could you look up your VHS and share the video with us?
Whisky
Whisky

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:18 pm

glad you enjoyed reading

are you brazilian?

those small clips of the show were on youtube a while ago, easy to find

those creeps that remove videos must have taken them down

you can see the yesterday clip here: https://www.facebook.com/gunsnrosesbrasilfaclube/videos/381930445592534/

and here also a bit of the scene outside: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=285988978960889

there is also a lenghty MTV Brazil report with duff, matt and the circus people interviews, i believe they interviewed them at the hotel in sao paulo where MTV was based. there is also archive footage and also the same sao paulo "yesterdays" clips: https://tubepages.ru/watch/Guns-N%27-Roses--Yesterdays--live-in-Sao-Paulo-Brazil-1992/

it is on youtube also: https://youtu.be/3U71Acsv0O0

about 60% of the crowd were very young teenage girls like the ones that appear on this video and they knew like 5 songs: N Rain, Patience, Dont Cry, Sweet Child and maybe one more

The band played stuff like Double Talking Jive and these girls had never heard it on their lives.

The band played November Rain and they spent the entire duration of the song screaming and crying
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:44 pm

i just found a funny testimonial in Portuguese with more details on one of the shows, I guess it was the second show when Axl finsihed early because someone hit him with a tennis shoe (I saw it from 20 feet away)

Previously to the show Axl threw a chair at the press in the hotel and that made the news for a lot of days here in Sao Paulo

boring stuff if you ask me hahahahaha

http://www.mundodechico.com/2016/11/show-guns-n-roses-sao-paulo-1992/

The guy explains how disappointed he was when Axl said something nasty about some Brazilians. I could be wrong but I guess Axl was badtalking the Brazilian press and not Brazilians in general but who knows... Anyway, this guy took it as if Axl was talking about Brazilians in general and that frustrated him enormously. He finishes his testimonial by saying "Considering all forms of entertainment, no one has ever left me as much frustrated (as Axl Rose)"
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Whisky Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:04 am

Ah, I have also seen these videos and also read this testimonial. The interpretation I think was wrong in what Axl really said. Believe me, he wasn't talking about the public, but about the press that always attacked a lot. So much so that he says "dedicate this song to printing, which he calls LALD."

In my opinion, the interpreter was a shit and an unfortunate one who also helped to burn Axl's image.

But apparently, these two shows were not really good, as were Bogotá and Argentina.
Whisky
Whisky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down