APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA

3 posters

Go down

1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA Empty 1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:18 pm

Date:
January 27, 1992.

Venue:
San Diego Sports Arena.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Bad Obsession
04. Live and Let Die
05. Attitude
06. Nightrain
07. So Fine
08. Double Talkin' Jive
09. Civil War
10. Welcome to the Jungle
11. Don't Cry
12. Rocket Queen
13. Patience
14. You Could Be Mine
15. November Rain
16. Sweet Child O'Mine
17. Move to the City
18. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
19. Estranged
20. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed
(keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1992.01.28.
1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1992.01.25.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA Empty Re: 1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed May 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Review in Los Angeles Times, January 29, 1992:

POP REVIEW : A Great Late, Late Show From Guns N' Roses
January 29, 1992|ROBERT HILBURN | TIMES POP MUSIC CRITIC

SAN DIEGO — Guns N' Roses doesn't just play bass, guitar and drums on stage these days. It also plays the clock.

Lots of rock attractions over the years--from the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin through Bruce Springsteen and U2--have shown that you can add to the drama of a concert either by arriving on stage late or playing awfully l-o-n-g.

Guns N' Roses, however, may be the first band to consistently do both.

If rock promoters are looking for ways to pick up extra money during this recession cycle, they might consider seeking legislation that would allow them to install wagering machines in arena lobbies.

The obvious bet on Monday at the Sports Arena here: What time will Guns N' Roses go on stage? The teasing concert tickets said the show would start "around 9 p.m."

The winning guess Monday (the first of two GNR stops here) would have been 11:40, which wasn't good news to some of the working adults in the crowd.

Rick Gutierrez, a 33-year-old sheet metal mechanic from Harbor City, knew the celebrated Los Angeles hard-rock group does long shows. Still, he figured that he'd certainly be out of the arena and on his way back up Interstate 5 by midnight.

But he didn't count on an opening act (Soundgarden) and then a three-hour set by GNR. So it was almost 3 a.m. by the time Guns N' Roses took its final bow. That meant Gutierrez, with luck, would get home in time to shower and rush to work, where he was due at 6:15.

Still, he took the whole thing with a smile. "Hey, that's rock 'n' roll," he said before GNR took the stage.

And if a 33-year-old man can appreciate the uniqueness of an all-night rock show, it's easy to see how the teen-agers, who appeared to compose about 60% of the 13,000 fans, would really have something for their memory banks.

On the way out of the arena, four teen-age girls were talking excitedly, but the topic wasn't the show. They were trying to figure out how to convince their parents that the show lasted until almost 3.

Eventually, however, it's the quality of the music that will stick with the fans. In its first California stop since a series of Southern California shows last August, Guns N' Roses again demonstrated that it is the most exciting hard-rock band in years--a group with more emotional range and personality than Metallica, its only real arena-level rival.

For all the talk about the band's rebellious, one-dimensional image, the group's music is refreshingly varied. The guitar-accented, blues-based rock leans heavily on the Stones-Aerosmith tradition, but the themes range from sensitive moments built around emotional and romantic insecurity and regret to furious outbursts of anger and rage.

Lead singer Axl Rose remains one of rock's most charismatic figures ever and the band--anchored by guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagen and drummer Matt Sorum--is at once tighter and more relaxed than last fall. The big changes since the August shows in Los Angeles involve a new rhythm guitarist (Gilbey Clarke filling the vacancy left when Izzy Stradlin resigned) and an expanded cast that includes three female horn players and two female backup singers--all dressed in the sexy gear favored by many of the band's young female fans.

Most of the additions are simply musical window dressing, but Clarke, a more aggressive guitarist and performer than Stradlin, fit in well; Rose, however, remained the center of attention as he raced around with his usual energy and flair, drawing cheers from the lively but mostly orderly crowd (there were a reported 97 arrests, mostly alcohol-related).

The most surprising thing was that the band--with all that time on its hands on stage and all the material available from its two recent albums--continues to rely on basically the same set of songs used on its earlier tour leg.

While fans in each city are seeing the set for the first time, the band's own energy level--and possibly interest level--seemed to sag at times during the three-hour set. Mixing in more songs--"Coma," "Yesterdays," "Dead Horse," "Right Next Door to Hell"--might enable them to more consistently reach the inspired heights of the closing Forum show last August.

Then again, maybe GNR is saving those songs to freshen up its planned summer stadium tour. Among the possibilities: a powerhouse, co-headlining trek with Metallica.

If that hard-rock dream becomes reality, one thing is for sure: Guns N' Roses will close the show. Metallica's not going to take a chance of having to go on stage at 4 a.m.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA Empty Re: 1992.01.27 - San Diego Sports Arena, San Diego, USA

Post by Blackstar Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 am

I wanna talk about standing up for what you believe in. It’s hard nowadays to stand up for what you believe in. Especially when everybody tells you what you believe in is wrong; or what you believe really means something else that they want you to believe; or, maybe, it means something that somebody else wants them to believe, so they can make more money out of you. And then, there’s those times when you’re not so sure what you believe in anymore. And, you know, when you’re like that, you’re exactly where the fuck they want you.
You know, we just put out these records and I’ve read all kinds of reviews. I’ve been called everything. We should have called the record “Our Hitler;” that’s from a review I read. Yeah, I think Guns N’ Roses has a whole hell of a lot to do with Nazism and telling people what to do and killing [?], don’t you?
They still don’t know what to make out of One in a Million. You know, it’s funny. The people mostly pissed off about what they call racism were the white people. There are a lot of white people that just don’t like rock ‘n’ roll in general, so, “Wait, now we’ve got a fucking target. They’re racist.” Is that what you people think we are and we mean? Is that all we are about? Because if it is, then we should probably go home. Because we get told that we should be – I think it was in Entertainment Weekly – “David Duke’s house band for America.” Fuck David Duke! The motherfucker [inaudible].
Now, people say, “Why are you late?” dah dah dah. There’s all kinds of fuckin’ reasons. There’s a million fuckin’ reasons. You know, because it ain’t about getting up here to make money and it ain’t about getting up here to fuckin’ “let’s rock ‘n’ roll.” I can fuckin’ rock ‘n’ roll in my car or to the stereo. We haven’t come up here to run around and jump off shit to rock ‘n’ roll.  It ain’t about partying. It’s about freedom of expression. And it’s about telling you that you can fuckin’ get away with it, no matter what they fuckin’ try to tell you. You see, they’re scared of you. They’re real scared of you. They’re scared of people like you all over the country. They keep everything from you. They keep the medicines that can heal you away from you, because they want to make your fucking money. They keep everything away from the fucking people, so that they can run it the way they want and it’s safe. And they can send you to war to fight for their fucking oil and their money deals, and that blowing down another country.
And I’m not here blowing smoke up your ass, but think twice, stay calm, keep your shit together and you’re the ones with the fucking personal power to do whatever the fuck you want with this country. I don’t mean that you can get away with murder, and I don’t mean that you can fuckin’ take the world and wipe your ass with it. What I mean is that you can change things and make things better. And if someone tells you otherwise, they’re nothing but a Double Talkin’ Jive Motherfucker.
[Onstage in San Diego, CA, USA, January 27, 1992]

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:23 pm

[...]I just see a lot of curiosity about this Motley Crue thing lately. The rest of the country gets real confused because they don’t know that we spent ten years in Hollywood watching those guys rip everybody else up. And if you’re curious why I won’t get in the ring with Vince, it’s because I’ll shoot Vince in the fuckin’ head. But Vince is not as stupid as he looks. He’s smart enough to pop up every now and then and say something in the press so that Motley Crue can make some money and hang on the GN’R’s coattails. [?] But he’s not smart enough to do that by himself. Nikki Sixx tells him how to do these things. So, you know, I’ve been asked a lot. I just recently got asked by Rolling Stone, so that’s why I’m talking about this, because a lot of people apparently didn’t hear me when I said it. See, they wanna do a pay-per-view boxing thing. I’m not interested in taking any more money from you people to go in Motley Crue’s fuckin’ [?] So if Vince, or Nikki, or Tommy, or Mick, or all of them at the same time have a problem, they know my address. Or I’ll buy around your tickets and some coffins and we can go to the country [?] and we can fight to the death. And I’m serious. It’s stupid. I just wish these cockroaches would go away. [...]
This is a new video that we did, and if it sounds a little corny, don’t worry about it. It’s kind of what this girl told me when she was dumping my ass and I didn’t buy it either. This is called Don’t Cry.
[On stage in San Diego, CA, USA, January 27, 1992]

Last edited by Blackstar on Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:01 am

Soulmonster wrote:
From the description of the video:
Hard rockers Guns N’ Roses made a stop in San Diego in early 1992 for two shows just a few months after releasing the celebrated albums “Use Your Illusion” I and II. On night one, the band played for a sold-out crowd at the San Diego Sports Arena from after midnight until nearly 3 a.m. - but fans didn’t seem to mind the late-night show. “It’s hard to think that this band is gonna continue,” said one local radio DJ before the show.
https://web.archive.org/web/20191120132234/https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/throwback/guns-n-roses-eagles-the-beach-boys-and-more-play-concerts-in-san-diego/509-c0277a7b-01c1-4cf2-bc09-5d9cee186903
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:06 am

Bad Obsession from this show:

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:20 pm

Does anyone felt that Matt started the song drumming faster (and looser?) than what he usually did?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5408

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down