APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA

2 posters

Go down

1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA Empty 1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Date:
January 14, 1992.

Venue:
Erwin-Nutter Center.

Setlist:
01. Nightrain
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. It's So Easy
04. Attitude
05. So Fine
06. Welcome to the Jungle
07. Live and Let Die
08. Double Talkin' Jive
09. Civil War
10. Patience
11. You Could Be Mine
12. Move to the City
13. Rocket Queen
14. Sweet Child O'Mine
15. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
16. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed
(keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Notes:
Axl slices his hand open on a sharp part of his microphone stand during 'It's So Easy.' Slash talks to the crowd while Axl is getting medical attention. Slash & Gilby then jam on guitar and then the band plays 'So Fine.' When Axl returns, he misinterprets what Slash had told the crowd and calls Slash a "punk motherfucker!" To which Slash replies "I'll kick your fucking ass!" The band then breaks into 'Welcome To The Jungle' before tempers flare even further. Before 'Sweet Child O' Mine,' Axl apologizes to the crowd, saying they're gonna cut the set short a few songs so he can get stitches on his hand.

1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1992.01.21.
1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1992.01.13.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76648

Back to top Go down

1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA Empty Re: 1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:56 pm

It happened at the beginning of the set and he made it through the whole show. It was making everybody nervous. I didn't want anything to happen to the hand. I just wanted him to get it checked out to make sure it was OK. He was a trooper. [Star Tribune, January 21, 1992]
We had a run-in in Dayton [Ohio], because both myself and Dougie thought [Slash] said something shitty to me onstage. That was the night I cut my hand to the bone. Backstage we have monitors much like the ones onstage, and while I was back there dealing with my hand, I thought I heard him take a potshot at me. I wrapped my hand up in a towel and was like, "Let's get it taken care of, so I can finish the show." I came back onstage and was a dick to him and told him I'd kick his f?!king ass in front of 20,000 people. That was f?!ked up. I was wrong, and I apologized the second I realized I was mistaken. Someone who is supporting me as strongly as he does is a hand I never want to bite. [RIP Magazine, September 1992]
[Axl and I]'ve had some serious fights, and sometimes over just simple misunderstandings. We had a fight on stage one time, where he cut his hand or something and went backstage, and I served to cover for it; I said to the crowd, you know, “Stop throwing this” or whatever and he misunderstood me, saying that – he thought that I said that he went back to do a wardrobe change, he came out and just cursed my ass off the mike. All of a sudden I was like, “What the...” [...] And that was, like, for the rest of the night. I was like, “What the hell are you talking –“ (laughs). [...] So we went back and watched the tape, and he went, “Oops, sorry” (laughs). [The Howard Stern Show, February 1, 1995]

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87602

Back to top Go down

1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA Empty Re: 1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:41 pm

Dayton Daily News, January 16, 1992

1992.01.14 - Erwin-Nutter Center, Dayton, USA YRJlTJtJ_o
Rose’s injury puts thorn in 2nd Guns’ concert

By Dave Larsen
DAYTON DAILY NEWS

Guns N’ Roses ended its second concert at Wright State University’s Ervin J. Nutter Center early Tuesday night after singer Axl Rose cut his hand on a broken microphone stand.

The show, which started at 11:40 p.m. and ended at 1:45 a.m., was 35 minutes shorter than the band’s
Monday night performance, which started at 12:25 a.m. Tuesday and ended at 3:05 a.m.

“I apologize,” Rose told the crowd of 11,037. “We’re going to play a few more songs and go so I can get some stitches.”

Rose broke his microphone stand and cut his thumb early in the show, but had continued the performance wearing a red bandage on his right hand. He was attended to by a doctor that was on-call backstage at the Nutter Center during the concert.'

The number of stitches Rose required was not made available.

There were unconfirmed reports Wednesday that Guns N’ Roses would either cancel or postpone its two performances scheduled for Friday and Saturday at the Palace of Auburn Hills, a 20,000-seat facility that serves the Detroit market, because of Rose’s injury.

“We have no official word on that at this point in time,” said Palace manager Thomas D. Trzos, who was aware of Rose’s injury and the possibility of it affecting this weekend’s concerts. “At this point in time we have shows scheduled, until we’re told otherwise,” he said.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:38 pm

You know, a lot of shit gets started, a lot of shit gets said about this band and of things that never happened. And people like to start stories because they’ve got nothing fuckin’ better to do in their own goddamn lives. Last night there was a miscommunication between me and my manager, and suddenly that turned into I fired my manager. And before we even got back to our hotel, I may even say this is where it started – you know, this is the only time I get to be around the fucking crew and shit, I’m talking to our crew and stuff, and suddenly the fucking story was back to L.A. and New York, before we even got back to the goddamn hotel, that I fired my manager. Which, basically, kind of ruined the last day for our manager. His name is Mr. Doug Goldstein, and I love Mr. Doug Goldstein, and if anybody gets in the fuckin’ way of that with their little fuckin’ stories, they can take a walk now. There were even some people that were really happy and they threw their little fucking parties because they thought Dougie would be gone.
It just confuses me that we work as hard as we do to make the music that we make and that a lot of people here seem to enjoy. We don’t have tape decks rolling under the stage, we don’t have other people playing the parts we should be fucking playing underneath the stage. I mean, this is no Motley Crue show.
But I read reviews on the albums and we got reviews describing us as – you know, that we should call the albums “Our Hitler” and, basically, we’re David Duke America’s house band. Fuck David Duke! And if you think that supporting something like David Duke is what we wrote a song like One in a Million about, then you can do yourself a favor, because you’re a real disillusioned motherfucker, and you outta just leave.
Oh, and Slash, the shit is on tape, man, I saw it on TV.
Anyway, this is called Double Talkin’ Jive Motherfucker.
[Dayton, OH, USA, January 14, 1992]
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 pm

Audio of the sequence that led to the "misunderstanding" between Axl and Slash:

Transcript:
[Attitude is played]

Slash: We wanna do some stuff, some stuff sitting right now, just do... I don’t know. Fucking, we’ll get ourselves going on right now, we’re just like, “Wooh, fuckin’ get on Dizzy (?) and shit”... It’s called a clothing change, alright? Just be patient... I wanna introduce the newest member of the actual band, fuckin’ somebody that came in during the period that we almost didn’t make this tour. There was a little fuckin’ band member mishap that we had, and Gilby Clarke helped us out, so we’re gonna play a little Rolling Stones for you. Hey, Gilby, let’s make this a long one (laughs). I don’t mean to bore you, guys, but we’re having a good time.

[Wild Horses Intro Jam]

Slash: Alright, real quick. Fucking - we had sort of a physical mishap on stage, so we’re gonna do a song called So Fine while Axl gets a little bandaged up, alright? So hold on. We’ll be alright, don’t worry about it. He just cut himself to the bone, so now they’ll take care of it. We’ll do So Fine now.  

[So Fine is played]

Slash: Alright, we’ll go check and see... Oh, Axl is getting taped up. He’s cut his fucking hand all the way to the bone. He’s fucked up, so he’s still back there. So let’s do a blues jam for a bit. I can get off on doing it. Let’s get the keyboards out and shit and do it today. This shit happens, but, you know, what the fuck.

[Blues Jam starts]

Axl: “Costume change”? Get the fuck back. “Costume change”? Yeah, I was watching that on TV, punk motherfucker!

Slash: Did I say costume change? I said “he cut his hand”! (?)

Axl: Yeah, yeah, okay, you’re fuckin’ stoned.

Slash: What did I say?!

Axl: I’ll kick your ass right now.

Slash: I didn’t say that! I didn’t fuckin’ say that! Listen to the crowd.

Axl: Isn’t this fun?

Slash (to the crowd): Did I say that?

Axl (to the crowd): Are you getting your money’s worth? Fuck yeah!
Slash said "clothing change" in the first clip. Maybe he didn't know what was going on with Axl at that moment?

Last edited by Blackstar on Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:51 am

Perhaps he didn't know or perhaps it was just a joke. Either way it is clear that it wasn't simply a case of Goldstein and Axl not hearing Slash correctly. Slash did say it, although he corrected in quickly. Axl would later take the fault upon himself and say he "thought I heard him take a potshot at me" and that he (Axl) was a "dick to him". Maybe Axl didn't hear what Slash said after Wild Horses and So Fine, so he was left with the impression that Slash had belittled Axl?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76648

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down