APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA

3 posters

Go down

1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA Empty 1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:49 am

Date:
December 5, 1991.

Venue:
Worcester Centrum Centre.

Setlist:
01. Welcome To The Jungle
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Live And Let Die
04. Attitude
05. Double Talkin' Jive
06. Civil War
07. Bad Obsession
08. Patience
09. You Could Be Mine
10. So Fine
11. It's So Easy
12. Move To The City
13. Don't Cry
Godfather Theme
14. Sweet Child O' Mine
15. November Rain
16. Rocket Queen [w/ It Tastes Good, Don't It?]
17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
ENCORE 1
18. Estranged
ENCORE 2:
19. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Gilby Clarke (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

Notes:
Gilby's first gig with the band.

Quotes:

I guess Izzy and I have got a similar look. So there were kids up front, especially in Boston, going ‘Yeah, Izzy! All right, Izzy!’ And I was like, ‘Wrong guy, man’ [Hartford Courant, March 4, 1993]
Talking about what he remembers from his first gig with the band: yes, a lil... i was hungover. i met up with some friends the night before & had a yager party. it took the edge off [A4D Interviews, August 2011]
I’m calling it a hangover, it could be first-day jitters, I don’t know for sure. But it really helped calm me down. Like, before the show started, seriously, I was the most calm person on the stage. Everybody else was way more worried than I was [Hartford Courant, March 4, 1993]
And after the first show, [Axl] came up to me and said, ‘I’m so happy you’re here.’ It made me feel a lot better[Hartford Courant, March 4, 1993]
I didn't even know that I was getting a solo spot until the day before the first gig! They just came up to me and said, "So what are you going to play in your solo segment?" I mean, why would I get a solo segment? So then Axl said, "Well, Izzy always used to do a little solo before 'Patience.' Do you think you can come up with something?" I just didn't want to get out there and do a lead guitar thing. Slash is the lead guitarist. So I decided to play "Wild Horses," which is one of my favorite songs[Guitar Player, November 1992].

1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1991.12.06.
1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1991.08.24.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA Empty Re: 1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:51 am

Review:

GUNS' BLAST-OFF WASN'T WORTH THE WAIT
- Steve Morse, Boston Globe, 12.6.91

WORCESTER -- Guns N' Roses have shown a snotty, kiss-off attitude that's made mincemeat of the Establishment. And last night their fans -- a sellout 14,000 of them -- got a nasty little dose of that meanness, when they were forced to wait a ridiculous 90 minutes between sets for Guns to appear.

Anticipation ran high, but it was almost an anticlimax when the band finally went on at 10:15. To kill time, the group's video crew got their jollies by projecting various female fans' cleavages onto huge overhead screens. "Hey, why don't they ever show any men?" asked a woman sitting down the row. A humble enough question.

Such is life waiting, waiting and waiting some more for one of the world's -- at least the Hollywood world's -- greatest rock 'n' roll bands.

Yes, when they finally did appear, Guns blasted off with a generally torrid shot of hyper-maniacal hard rock, though it wasn't so earth-shaking as to merit the wait.

Maybe it was because Guns were breaking in a new guitarist (Gilby Clarke, who last played with Kill for Thrills) and a new trio of horn players -- three women in skimpy halter tops, who furthered the macho mood. Or maybe it was because the band is back after a monthlong layoff (they rehearsed at the Centrum the last two nights) and didn't quite have all their ammunition in place.

Deadline restraints made it impossible to catch the whole show, but enough was heard to conclude that this particular show would not make you forget Aerosmith or AC/DC. Maybe Guns were in that league during their summer stadium tour, and maybe they'll be in it again soon enough, but last night was a definite hiatus.

Guns burst out with the appropriately nasty "Welcome to the Jungle," as singer Axl Rose, in a red tux coat, red mini-shorts and black combat boots, threw a mike stand across the stage. A Bo Diddley-beat intro to "Mr. Brownstone" (a heroin song) followed, giving way to another retro feel in a cover of Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die," as mammoth strobe lights belted the crowd and spotlights shone up through wire-chain floor ramps, giving the band a would-be "Silence of the Lambs" menace.

A decent, adrenalized cover of the Misfits' "Attitude" (sung by bassist Duff McKagan) was next. Rose, who gave mini-lectures between most songs, then launched a "Get in the Ring" diatribe against editor Bob Guccione of Spin Magazine, a longtime nemesis of the group. Rose declared that Guns plans to file a lawsuit against the magazine for its "double-talking jive."

Fortunately, lead guitarist Slash kept the show together, firing off rifle- shot leads often laced with mind-splitting feedback and occasional quotes from Jimi Hendrix and the Stones. Slash represents a state-of-the-art synthesis between classic rock and punk -- and it's no surprise he's dubbed as the heart of soul of this band.

Slash thankfully stole the song "Bad Obsession" (the infamous ditty where Axl calls his own mother a four-letter word) and nearly salvaged a fairly saddlebroke version of the Stones' "Wild Horses."

Rose, however, continued his cartoon antics. He changed outfits more often than Stevie Nicks, doffing a red "Rebel"-inscribed jacket emblazoned with a Confederate flag for "Civil War," one of the night's better efforts, at least.

Seattle's Soundgarden opened with a powerful, sludgy Zeppelinesque set that scored highly with the crowd before they were nearly put to sleep by the 90- minute wait for the headliner.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA Empty Re: 1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA

Post by puddledumpling Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:17 am

I attended both shows December 5th and 6th, 1991 at the Worcester
Centrum in Massachusetts and had a very different concert experience. The above review is stereotypically Bostonian: A stick up the ass and brains out on the sleeve to hit everyone else over the head with and only happy when surrounded by "idiots". I believe this petulant author was just another ordinary person working for wages like the rest of us but he didn't belong there.

Worcester is a crossroads of sorts in the New England region - the Centrum being one of the few large venues accessible to Western Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island fans. I propose that the average Worcester Centrum audience was made up of people living in rural areas who converged on Worcester for the two nights of Guns N' Roses shows. The camaraderie and networking at tailgate parties in the parking lots and venue before and after the show as well as the interval between Sound Garden and GNR was part of the show for a lot of us who didn't want to be somewhere else. The anticipation, appreciation and warm reception for Matt and Gilby at these two shows was palpable. Gilby was real casual like the cat that he still is in 2012. Seeing the new line up of GNR at Worcester Centrum last November, 2012 reinforced my take on the Worcester audience, although there seemed to be a lot of college students there this time around. A lot of us danced and sang hilariously unlike the shows I attended in Hartford and in New Haven, Connecticut, even to songs from Chinese Democracy, and there was a sizeable cloud of smoke enhancing the light show over the crowd that wasn't from tobacco. I had a great time then and now and I'd gladly go see GNR at the Centrum again.
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Plectra : 6674

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 am

puddledumpling wrote:Gilby was real casual like the cat that he still is in 2012.

Probably because he was a bit mellow from the party the day before Smile. See the new quote I have added in the first post.

Thanks for the great review!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:15 am

Axl: Now there’s a lot of people - kids, adults and otherwise, other bands – that don’t understand why we did a song like Get in the Ring. I’ll tell you a little bit about that song. I think that I hit Mr. Bob Guccione a little bit too hard below the belt. He’s proven the reality of that by the way he’s acting. Cuz there’s a lot of these magazines that... The real reason that they say shit and they won’t back down and stuff, [is] cuz they don’t want to lose face with people that buy their magazine. Because it’s all about giving their Mafia boss distributors (?) money. It ain’t about rock ‘n’ roll. It ain’t about what bands they like and what they don’t like. It ain’t about what’s true of what’s false. It’s about how much money some fuckin’ greedo in his suit telling fuckin’ people (?). And how much money they get from you. And we’ve got a little something to announce. You know, we gave them their chance to get in the ring. Then we’ve got Bob going, “Guess who put on their boxing gloves and it’ll be pay-per-view.  What is Don King. It’s gonna be amazing.” Wrong. If it was about boxing, you’d see me in (?) hanging. There’s two things you need to get in the ring. That’s integrity, and there’s something you earn and that’s called respect. Now Bob, and Vince, and Circus, and Kerrang... They don’t have either of those two things. If they really wanted to get in the ring, they’d sue my fuckin’ white ass. But they’ve been notified now that we gave them their chance. We gave them a chance to be cool, we would have pulled the song off the record. But no, they just had to keep stirring shit. So now we’re suing them! This started just about two days ago. It started on a flight here to Boston when we made the decision. Because if there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s a Double Talkin’ Jive Motherfucker!
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:23 am

Review in the Hartford Courant, December 7, 1991:

1991.12.05 - Worcester Centrum Centre, Worcester, USA VYW02hJk_o
Guns N’ Roses in concert at last: new arrangement of an old band

Part of the appeal for Guns is the band’s sheer unpredictability

By ROGER CATLIN
Courant Rock Critic

WORCESTER — After a bit of a rest, the Guns N’ Roses tour is back, premiering in the Centrum here Thursday night with an increased and diversified lineup of musicians.

But even with a new rhythm guitarist, two backup vocalists, a bikini-clad horn section and ambitious new arrangements of old songs, some things remain the same for America’s most popular rock band.

Lead singer W. Axl Rose still has a few chips on his shoulder, giving an occasional edge to what might otherwise be pretty generic hard rock. And the band has no better sense of timing; for a show slated to start “around 8 p.m.,” the headliners didn’t show up until well over two hours later. Still, few fans left before the wildly paced, 2 1/2-hour show finally concluded at 12:45 Friday morning.

Part of the appeal for Guns is the band’s sheer unpredictability; lousy shows are as common as spectacular ones. Thursday was clearly an important show for the band members because of the practicing they’ve been doing to break in new guitarist Gilby Clarke, who replaces Izzy Stradlin (verdict: the new one is as unnoticeable as the original), as well as new backup singers (hired primarily for sex appeal) and the alluring horn section (imagine the auditions: “Yeah, you’re pretty good on sax, but can you play in a bra?’’).

When the horn section was firing, as during a long workout of an old song guitarist Slash was so worried about that he forgot the title (“Move to the City”), the brass really added another dimension to the band, which had already showed other sides with straight punk (bassist Duff McKagan’s version of the Misfits’ “Attitude”), pop pomp (“Live and Let Die”) and acoustic balladry (“Patience”).

During the stirring climax of “Move to the City,” the only original Guns member still onstage was McKagan. (Drummer Matt Sorum took over drums last year with a solid if unfettered beat; Dizzy Reed has been added as keyboardist).

Rose, ever the conversationalist, said he hired the three female horn players and two female singers because “five guys on stage was too much of a homosexual thing.”

He climbed on his soapbox for other things Thursday: to say he’s going to sue Bob Guccione Jr., the Spin magazine publisher he curses on a recent song; and to complain about classic rock radio, which will play U2 and Jethro Tull, he says, but not Guns N’ Roses and Metallica.

But mostly he was running back-stage every second he was not issuing his familiar raspy screech. He claimed to have the flu, but he also changed clothes more times than Cher, sometimes switching accessories to go with his red hot pants midsong, as during the band’s only topical number, “Civil War.” First he wore a leather jacket with a Confederate flag, then he switched to an American flag model. Inexplicably, a Soviet flag hung behind him during the song. OK, politics are not the band’s strong suit.

Although Axl ran around the metal set, which had ramps and three extensions into the audience, guitarist Slash was more athletic, taking 5-foot leaps from risers when he wasn’t performing nice solos, mostly on slower songs, by standing perfectly still, a cigarette hanging out of his mass of hair to indicate where his face would be.

Guns are endearing for their ambition, especially on songs like “November Rain,” with its patently “Layla”-like ending. But the band’s musical taste leaves something to be desired.

They called Wings’ lightweight “Live and Let Die” nothing less than “Welcome to the Jungle II.” Slash played one of Alice Cooper’s worst song, “Only Women Bleed,” as an intro to “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door,” Guns” overblown rendition of Dylan’s easiest-to-play song. And “Estranged” cribbed more lines from Dylan although the riff was appropriated from — could it be? — Seals and Crofts’ “Summer Breeze.”

Give the band members credit for showing up in Worcester, however, no matter how late they got on. That’s more then we can say for their two no-shows in Connecticut this year.

The song list for Guns Ν' Roses included “Welcome to the Jungle", “Mr. Brownstone,” “Live and Let Die, ” “Attitude, ” “Double Talkin' Jive,” “Civil War,” “Bad Obsession,” “Wild Horses,” “Patience,” “ You Could Be Mine,” “So Fine,” “It's So Easy,” “Move to the City,” “Don't Cry,” “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” “November Rain,” “Pretty Tied Up,” “Knockin 'on Heaven's Door,” (encore) “Estranged", “Paradise City.”
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down