APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA

3 posters

Go down

1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA Empty 1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Date:
July 30, 1991.

Venue:
Great Western Forum.

Setlist:
01. Perfect Crime
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Live And Let Die
04. Bad Obsession
05. Dust N' Bones
06. Double Talkin' Jive
07. Civil War
08. Patience
09. You Could Be Mine
10. November Rain
11. Welcome To The Jungle
Godfather Theme
12. Rocket Queen
13. It's So Easy
14. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
15. 14 Years
16. Don't Cry [Alt. Lyrics] [w/ Shannon Hoon]
17. Sweet Child O' Mine
ENCORE
18. Estranged
19. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1991.08.02.
1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1991.07.29.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76772

Back to top Go down

1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA Empty Re: 1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 pm

From Los Angeles Times, August 1, 1991:

Police Face Axl Rose Tantrum, Take Back Ticket
August 01, 1991|MARC LACEY | TIMES STAFF WRITER

A traffic ticket and singer Axl Rose's volatile temperament almost added up to a canceled Guns N' Roses concert Tuesday night at the Forum.

Inglewood police say that Rose threw a tantrum over a ticket his limousine driver received for an illegal left turn outside the Inglewood arena. The singer threatened to call off his band's show unless police canceled the citation.

Police say they agreed, fearing a riot might erupt if the show did not go on. They noted that when Rose stalked off stage in a huff at a St. Louis concert last month, a riot broke out among fans.

Rose's publicist, Bryn Bridenthal, confirmed the police version of Tuesday night's dispute. She said: "Before a show, Axl is volatile. It's a sensitive time and . . . someone had told the limo driver to turn left."

Police say that when Rose's limo was pulled over, Rose sought to talk the traffic officer out of issuing a ticket. When that failed, he arrived at the Forum in a rage, police said.

The band's manager, Doug Goldsten, and Forum General Manager Claire Rothman then raised the issue with Police Lt. Tom Hoffman, who agreed to take the ticket back.

Rose publicly thanked Hoffman before cheering Forum fans, but the decision did not sit well with some officers. "Everybody is treated the same--we are preached that every day," one disgruntled officer complained.

But top Inglewood police officials defended Hoffman's decision. They added that the ticket was not canceled, but taken back for further investigation.

"Rather than stick our feet in the mud and say, 'No, we're going to treat you like everybody else,' we chose to avoid a riot," said Capt. James Seymour. "We don't need 19,000 people at the Forum rioting over a traffic ticket."
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA Empty Re: 1991.07.30 - Great Western Forum, Inglewood, USA

Post by Blackstar Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Los Angeles Times, August 1, 1991:

Richard Cromelin wrote:AXL WATCH : He's on His Best Behavior, Sort Of

Axl Rose was again on his best behavior for most of Guns N' Roses' 2 1/2-hour performance Tuesday at the Forum, but the stormy singer couldn't resist a few digs in his comments between songs: at critics who presume to interpret the band's songs for the public; at former drummer Steven Adler, who is suing the band over his ouster last year, and at the audience, which he accused of being "tired" and "lazy" at the end of the show. Like Monday's opening Forum show, the set list focused on material from the group's two upcoming albums. The sold-out Forum engagement continues Friday and Saturday.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88096

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Rob Smith wrote:The Night Axl Rose Threatened to Cancel a Show Over a Traffic Ticket

On July 30, 1991, Inglewood City, Calif., police pulled over a limousine whose driver had made an illegal left-hand turn on the way to the Forum, where the limo’s passenger, Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose, was to perform that night.
Rose stuck his head out of the vehicle’s sunroof to angrily argue that the driver, James Brian Green, was following the instructions of a traffic control officer, who had motioned the car to make the turn.
Rose later threatened that he would not take the stage unless Inglewood police rescinded the ticket. According to the Los Angeles Times, Police Lt. Tom Hoffman huddled with Guns N’ Roses’ manager and the Forum’s general manager, and Hoffman agreed to take back the ticket, to avoid a potential riot by angry fans (as had happened in St. Louis earlier that month). Guns N’ Roses performed that night, and Rose even thanked Hoffman from the stage.

Days later, after the band was safely out of town, Inglewood City proceeded in its prosecution of the ticket, after Inglewood residents protested Hoffman’s “fixing” it. Officials responded that the ticket had not been “fixed,” but taken back for investigation.
"Nobody is above the law," said Inglewood Mayor Edward Vincent, whom the Times identified as “a jazz fan who couldn't name a single Guns N' Roses hit.”
Green had to pay a $60 fine for his offense.
A little more than a year later, there was a riot at a Guns N' Roses show. In August 1992, a Metallica / Guns N' Roses show would be the scene of a riot in Montreal, when Metallica frontman James Hetfield was severely burned by onstage pyrotechnics, and Rose ended Guns' set early, claiming he had a sore throat.
Source: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/axl-rose-traffic-ticket-1991/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Marc Lacey wrote:Inglewood to Cite Axl Rose's Driver

Axl Rose's limousine driver will receive his traffic ticket from Inglewood police after all, despite the vehement objections from the Guns N' Roses rocker that led to the citation being retracted last week.
"We find reasonable cause to go forward with this," Inglewood City Atty. Howard Rosten said in a letter mailed Wednesday to the driver, James Brian Green, 29, of Venice.
Green's much-ballyhooed illegal left turn outside the Forum as he was driving Rose to a concert appearance July 30 caused the singer to angrily stick his head out of the limousine's sun roof and cry foul to the motorcycle officer issuing the citation.
Green faces a $60 fine for the traffic offense. But that is small change compared to another financial penalty arising from the four shows Rose and his band performed at the Forum last week.

City officials revealed this week that because the group violated a city ordinance by letting its concerts go on long past midnight each of the four nights, the band's promoters face thousands of dollars in fines.
The exact fines have yet to be calculated by the city. But officials say the promoters--who include veteran rock 'n' roll impresario Bill Graham and the Forum itself--will have to hand over to the city $500 for each time a show ended between 12:45 a.m. and 1 a.m., $1,000 for any show that ended between 1 a.m. and 1:15 a.m. and $1,500 for any 15-minute period after that, city officials said.
Rose, who arrived later than expected for all four shows and complained of a concert-delaying stomachache one evening, danced his way off stage somewhere after 1:30 a.m. on both Friday and Saturday nights.
Rose, 29, took on his chauffeur's case before the July 30 concert by throwing a temper tantrum and refusing to take the stage unless Inglewood police took back the ticket.
After huddling with the band's manager and the Forum's general manager, Police Lt. Tom Hoffman agreed to take the ticket back to avoid a Rose-induced riot by anxious fans.
Rose thanked Hoffman from the Forum stage. But subsequent news stories about the incident sparked protests from Inglewood residents, who asked city officials whether a hit album was needed to get out of traffic tickets in their town.
Police officials responded that the ticket was not "fixed," just taken back for investigation.
Rose had argued at the scene that a traffic control officer had motioned the limo to make the turn from Prairie Avenue to Manchester Boulevard, police said. But testimony from the police officer who issued the ticket and the traffic control officer at the scene convinced Rosten that the driver should be prosecuted for the turn.
"Our people are confident that nothing that they did misled this guy," Rosten said. "Therefore, we find reasonable cause to go forward with this."
Green must appear in Inglewood Municipal Court by Sept. 10 to pay a fine or request a trial to object to the citation.
"Nobody is above the law," said Inglewood Mayor Edward Vincent, a jazz fan who couldn't name a single Guns N' Roses hit. "We believe that. Nobody."

To prove his point, Vincent recalled a traffic ticket of his own. Vincent, a councilman at the time, parked illegally while attending an anti-prostitution march on Century Boulevard. A motorcycle officer ticketed Vincent's car right before his eyes.
The officer was James Butts, who has since become Inglewood's deputy chief and will become Santa Monica's chief next month.
"You would be stupid to think that anybody, including me as mayor, could do something about a ticket," Vincent said this week.
Source: http://articles.latimes.com/1991-08-08/local/me-117_1_axl-rose-s-driver
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:20 am

This is how Axl introduced 'Live and Let Die' during this show:

- This is a song that we recorded as a present for Mr. Paul McCartney... And also because this Los Angeles critic was writing about all the James Bond songs [...] which ones were good... and how Paul McCartney's was the worst, pop, pussy type Bond song ever written. And I kind of thought "Well, if that's the case, maybe homeboy needs to hear it for five more fucking years! This is 'Live and Let Die'...

Very Happy
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5503

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:21 am

Audio:

ludurigan
ludurigan

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:52 am

INTRO MUSIC:

"EVERYBODY KNOWS" by Leonard Cohen (Slash apparently tries to play some "Estranged-style" long notes over the song, sounds pretty cool!)

SPOKEN INTRO BY MCBOB:

- Los Angeles. You wanted the best but they didn't fucking make it. Here's what you get: Guns and Roses!

01. PERFECT CRIME

02. MR. BROWNSTONE

AXL:

- [incomprehensible] ...To start things off. I like to thank huh... Lieutenant Hoffman... for enabling us to have a show tonight... And I'll tell you a little bit about this show. We'll be doing a lot of old, a lot of new. Cuz to come up to you and do all of 'Appetite' is kinda like a big fucking jerk-off. But then again I am watching some of these ladies on the screen and [incomprehensible, seems to be 'it turns out it is not a'] bad idea. This something we wrote about one year before 'Mr. Brownstone' y' know there are some similarities it is on 'Use Your Illusion I' this is called 'Bad Obsession'.

03. BAD OBSESSION

AXL:

- This is a song that we recorded as a present for Mr. Paul McCartney... And also because this Los Angeles critic was writing about all the 'James Bond' songs through time... which ones were good... and how Paul McCartney's was the worst, pop, pussy type 'Bond' song ever written. And I kind of thought "Well, if that's the case, maybe homeboy needs to hear it for five more fucking years! So... This is 'Live and Let Die'...

04. LIVE AND LET DIE

AXL:

- I think that critic has stroke out...

SLASH:

[Seems to make a "barking" noise]

AXL:

- This is something featuring Mr. Izzy Stradlin. It's a little number entitled 'Dust n' Bones'...

05. DUST N' BONES

AXL:

- [incomprehensible, seems to be 'I feel home now']

SLASH:

Plays a riff that seems to be a piece of the "JAWS THEME SONG"

AXL:

- Usually I have something to preach about by this point. But you know, I mean the only women that can fucking... [the] only people that can tag me and shit are women, so... I mean, they can bust my ass, but... other than that... What? I got a reputation for being full of shit or something? I got a reputation for lying and just making shit up? And I... if I say the definition to a song [and] what it means to me, well [imitating someone] 'that can be really what [incomprehensible]'... Fuck you!... In Guns n' Roses... God knows we got here by... just... you know... our music and stuff... we just fucking lied all the way through it... really, this means nothing to us and... we just want a lot of money and [incomprehensible] jack off.

[SOMEONE IN THE AUDIENCE SAYS: "HE ADMITS IT" Very Happy ]

- You know, so... I guess that... I'm nothing... We're nothing but a bunch of fucking double-talking jive motherfuckers [incomprehensible].

06. DOUBLE TALKIN' JIVE

07. SLASH (SHORT) SOLO / INTRO

[Slash starts playing the usual "wah-wah" solo that he does for the intro of 'Civil War' but for whatever reason he changes it and moves to the 'You Could Be Mine' riff, which he plays slowly. It is as if Slash/the band was going to play 'Civil War' but then something happens and he/they decide to play 'You Could be Mine' instead (there is no video so it is hard to tell what happened!). Slash seems to scream 'Yo Arnold' right after this as if Arnold was present at the show. So maybe Arnold showed up at this time and Slash/the band saw him and decided to play the 'Terminator 2' song to amuse him!]

SLASH:

- Yo Arnold!

08. YOU COULD BE MINE

AXL:

- [incomprehensible]

AXL:

- Gimme a little Rod Stewart...

09. I WAS ONLY JOKING [INTRO]

10. PATIENCE

11. VOODOO CHILD [INTRO]

12. CIVIL WAR

AXL:

- [incomprehensible]

- [incomprehensible]

- This is something that... something you probably own or bought on bootleg. You think it is a bootleg hit?

Plays the piano for a few seconds

- It's called November Rain

13. NOVEMBER RAIN

AXL:

- Do you huh... Do you know...

SLASH:

Teases the riff of 'Welcome to the Jungle'

AXL:

- Do you know [incomprehensible]

[Screaming] - D'you know where the fuck you are?

14. WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

BAND INTRODUCTION

AXL

- On the rhythm guitar... On the guitar pick, Mr. McBob... On the rhythm guitar, Mr. Izzy Stradlin... On the bass guitar, the king of beers, Mr. Duff Rose McKagan... And officially a member of GN'R on the keyboards ladies and gentlemen Mr. Dizzy fucking Reed... I don't know if I should say this you know 'cause it might end up working against me but... probably the most professional member of our band... the new man... [incomprehensible] Hey... I guess I heard somebody boo... Maybe we should just have somebody on heroin in our band [referring to Steven Adler] so fucked up that we wouldn't be doing this show for you. If it wasn't for this man [incomprehensible] here, we might not fucking be here... Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Matt Sorum to show you why he is in this fucking band!

15. MATT SORUM SOLO

DUFF:

- Mr. Matt Sorum on drums motherfuckers, come on!

16. DUFF, MATT AND SLASH JAM

17. SLASH SOLO

18. 'THE GODFATHER' THEME

19. ROCKET QUEEN [with mid-song 'JAM']

SLASH:

[Speaking during the 'JAM']

- [incomprehensible] ...We are getting into a little bit of a groove here... We can't keep the house lights on because the building [incomprehensible]... so, just fucking... All right, that's cool.

AXL:

- [incomprehensible, seems to be 'lights on']

- Sorry, but I hit something...

20. BAD TIME [INTRO]

21. SWEET CHILD O' MINE

AXL:

- This is a new one featuring Mr. Izzy Stradlin... Fourteen... years...

22. 14 YEARS

IZZY:

Changes the lyrics to the third verse [incomprehensible]

(TO BE CONTINUED...)

Crazy

(Everyone is welcome to correct mistakes and to help fill the 'incomprehensible' blanks!)
ludurigan
ludurigan

Soulmonster and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down