APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Look At Your Game, Girl

3 posters

Go down

Look At Your Game, Girl Empty Look At Your Game, Girl

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Look At Your Game, Girl Newbor11
LOOK AT YOUR GAME, GIRL
Album:
The Spaghetti Incident?, 1993, hidden track.

Written by:
Charles Manson.

Musicians:
Axl Rose: Lead vocals.
Carlos Booey: Guitar.

Live performances:
'Look At Your Game Girl' has never been played live.
Lyrics:

There's a time for living
Time keeps on flying
Think you're loving baby
But all your doing is crying

[chorus]
Can you feel
Are those feelings real
Look at your game, girl
Look at your game, girl

What a mad delusion
Living in that confusion
Frustration and doubt
Can you ever live without the game

The sad, sad game
Mad game
Just to say loves' not enough
?? it can't be true
Oh, you can tell those lies but you're only fooling you

[chorus]

??? you feel
I ??? those feelings ain't real
Then you better stop trying
Or you're gonna play crying
Stop trying

That's the game
Sad sad game
Mad game
Sad game

[spoken]
Thanks, Chas
Jack

Quotes regarding the song

Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me, and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness. Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.
Los Angeles Times, December 1993

The song is there because it's good and I recognize myself in the lyrics, not to shock. [...]I liked the lyrics, he says. It's about a mad girl who plays a mad game and it felt like a description of a situation I was in myself. I thought it was ironic that it was written by Charles Manson, a man who should be familiar with madness. We don't thank Charles Manson on the cover and the song is like a hidden bonus-track.
Aftonbladet, 1993

It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?.

What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.

In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.

It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.

However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.

Why did I choose to cover that particular song?

Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.

A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.

I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.

It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

Unfortunately I Don't Surf Either.
Press Statement, 1994

I didn't play on "Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory" and an unmentioned track, which features a guy named Carlos on guitar. [...] Stuart, Axl's brother, had a copy of the Manson cassette, and that particular song had significant lyrical matter, especially since Manson was singing it. We were a little bit shy about doing it, because we didn't want anybody to pin us on a Manson thing. There's a rumor that he didn't write it. I got a phone call from someone who said it was written by Dennis Wilson and somebody else. To this day we still don't know who the fuck wrote it. We did it anyway, but we didn't want to put its title and Charlie Manson's name on the record. None of us are into that for a serial killer's sake. We didn't want to give him the credit.
Guitar Player, January 1994

[Asked about pulling the song from the album]: At this time, no. But, we've also been notified by a fan that if we do pull the song, he'll sue us and Geffen Records for one dollar per album sold, as of the date that we pull the song. You know, he'll file s in federal court. But we don't have plans of pulling it as of now.
Axl and Slash interview, Rockline 1994

There was a time when we were planning on pulling it because of the fact that it was… I don't know… the messages were all crossed. As far as to what we were really doing. I mean, basically, all we did was do a track that had something to do lyrically with the band. Or… you know (...) It's really weird because when the song was done and it was recorded and released, there was no attention drawn to it, and all the attention that's been given it so far has come from the media that's been opposing it.

I like the lyrics of the song. I also thought it was something that people hadn't heard and was a missing part of the puzzle. And almost everything about Charles Manson has been public, but this was something that wasn't public really, on a big scale, to my knowledge, and just thought that people would be interested in hearing it. But… you know, even the… One of the… The victim's son whose getting money supposedly, was talking about people worshipping Charles Manson and I was like, getting a vibe that people were trying to paint a picture of me worshipping Charles Manson now. It's exactly, for me, the opposite of that.

I have to call Carlos and ask him what that last chord was.

The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus track. It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs. (...) Why did I choose to cover that particular song? Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it. I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness. (...) Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't. I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now. /../ It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans.
Q Magazine, March, 1994

[...] we did a (Charles) Manson song, and there were 20 bands before us that did Manson songs, but we're the bad guys. It's like we're supposed to be some sort of influence on the youth of America, so that was a bad example. It's Guns N' Roses, for crissakes. When did that change? Why are we all the sudden some sort of half-ass role models for people to judge harshly? Are we chosen for that? Is one band every decade allotted to be in hell?
Los Angeles Times, February 1995

The only thing that was wrong with that Guns record was that Manson song. Axl is from Indiana and I don't think his upbringing relates to mine at all. I come from Los Angeles more or less and my whole family was very embedded in the whole hippie movement. Axl was from a very structured and sheltered churchgoing family in the middle of Indiana somewhere. The effects of Manson was like a smack in the face for the '60s; there was a certain realisation that the '60s were no longer. And to everybody who grew up in Los Angeles it [the 'Manson Family' and the murder of Sharon Tate] was a big deal. Axl put this song on and had some other guitar player play on it and he called me on the phone. I was mixing the record at the time and I was looking forward to it being really cool. And he calls me up and plays this thing on the phone and I said, "Yeah, whatever," and then he told me it was a Manson song. We didn't know who wrote it; we had word that Dennis Wilson from The Beach Boys wrote it. I didn't want to deal with it, being the politically mild guy that I am, so I said, "Whatever" and I buried it in the mix – I put it two minutes after the last song and it's not listed. But word got out eventually and then it turned into this huge upheaval. Because you know how people love to come down on you for anything they possibly can. And so it killed the record in the States, and everybody in LA and who was 30 or older was in complete upheaval. Not to mention David Geffen, who said, "Don't work the record." End of story.
Guitar, February 1995

We naively thought that there was a certain dark humour in Manson singing these love song lyrics at the time, but now I find the word 'humour' doesn't fit into the equation at all. Especially when we think about the families of his victims and how this makes them feel. We didn't credit Manson on the album because we didn't want to draw any attention to him. We simply didn't anticipate everyone making such a big deal out of it. We especially don't want Manson to think we think he's bichin' - or anyone else to think it for that matter. There are no words to describe him as a human being. He's the epitome of what's wrong with human existence at this point and we don't want to glorify Manson in any way.
Bateman (1996) Guns N' Roses, Italy: Carlton, 108

Look At Your Game, Girl Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:56 am; edited 11 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Look At Your Game, Girl Empty Re: Look At Your Game, Girl

Post by Soulmonster Tue May 06, 2014 6:30 pm

Example of outrage from The Times-News, December 5, 1993:

Look At Your Game, Girl Utennavn-30
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed May 07, 2014 11:01 am

More outrage, this time from Star-News, December 10, 1993:

Look At Your Game, Girl Utennavn-55

Look At Your Game, Girl Utennavn-56

Look At Your Game, Girl Utennavn-57
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed May 07, 2014 7:51 pm

From Los Angeles Times, December 1, 1993:

Manson Song May Be Removed From Album : Music: Head of record label joins in criticism of Guns N' Roses. Band leader Axl Rose is considering dropping the cut from future copies of the band's latest release.
December 01, 1993|CHUCK PHILIPS | SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

Guns N' Roses is considering removing its version of a song by mass murderer Charles Manson from future copies of its new album, sources close to the Los Angeles hard rock group said Tuesday.

The composition, "Look at Your Game, Girl," which appears on "The Spaghetti Incident?" album released last week, has come under fire from law enforcement and victims rights groups, as well as from the head of the band's record company, entertainment mogul David Geffen.

"I would hope that if Axl Rose had realized how offensive people would find this, he would not have ever recorded this song in the first place," said Geffen, who knew two of the six victims killed in an Aug. 9, 1969, Benedict Canyon rampage masterminded by Manson.

"The issue is not the song itself," Geffen said. "The fact that Charles Manson would be earning money based on the fame he derived committing one of the most horrific crimes of the 20th Century is unthinkable to me."

Geffen, who spoke Tuesday by phone from the Caribbean where he is on vacation after overseeing the making of a film in New Orleans, said he learned from a CNN broadcast Monday that the song is on the album.

The decision about removing the song rests with Rose, who could not be reached for comment. But sources said that most of the five band members want the song taken off future copies of the record, and that Rose is considering that action.

In a statement scheduled to be released today by Geffen Records, Rose did not say what he would do about the song.

"Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song," he said in the statement. "Hearing it shocked me, and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

"The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game," Rose says in the statement. "I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

"Manson is a dark part of American culture and history," Rose said. "He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded."

The singer pledged to donate all performance royalties from the song to a nonprofit environmental organization.

Industry sources estimated that Manson's publishing royalties could amount to as much as $62,000 for every 1 million albums sold.

At least 1 million copies of the album are believed to have been shipped to stores since the collection was released Nov. 23. The group's last pair of albums, 1991's "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II," have sold about 5 million copies each in the United States.

Sources said that Geffen Records may donate its proceeds from the song to the Doris Tate Crime Victims Bureau, named for the late mother of actress Sharon Tate, who was murdered by Manson's followers in 1969.

Patti Tate, the actress' sister, expressed outrage at the song's inclusion on the album.

"Doesn't Axl Rose realize what this man did to my family?" said Tate, who now runs the victims rights group. "It really hurts and angers me that Guns N' Roses would exploit the murders of my sister and others for capital gain."

Manson, 59, is serving a life sentence in Corcoran State Prison near Fresno.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Los Angeles Times, November 21, 1993:

It's No Illusion: Guns N' Roses Does Charles Manson

Los Angeles Times
November 21, 1993|Steve Hochman

You'd expect to hear old songs by the Damned, UK Subs and maybe even Nazareth on the new Guns N' Roses album saluting some of the band's punk and hard-rock influences.

But a song written by convicted mass murderer and one-time pop aspirant Charles Manson?

Despite heated denials by Geffen Records when a rumor about the alleged track circulated last month, sources close to the label now confirm that the song is part of the package due in stores Tuesday.

Don't, however, look for Manson's name--or even the song title--on the album's credits. The selection, titled "Look at Your Game, Girl," is an unlisted bonus track on the album, which is titled "The Spaghetti Incident?"

The band has kept the Manson tune--described by someone who has heard it as a "pop song"--so hush-hush that it wasn't even included on advance tapes sent out to reviewers.

This wouldn't be the first time GNR singer Axl Rose has invoked Manson's image--he used to perform wearing a T-shirt with Manson's picture on it.

Asked about the song, GNR manager Doug Goldstein would only say, "There is a bonus track on the album, but Axl (Rose) wants it to speak for itself."

As to why the song wasn't on review copies, he says, "It wasn't done for the critics or anybody else. It was a bonus for the fans."

Manson--now 59 and serving a life sentence in Corcoran State Prison near Fresno for masterminding the Tate-LaBianca murders in 1969--was on the fringes of some L.A. pop circles well before his crimes.

In fact, a widespread theory at the time was that Manson ordered his attack on the Benedict Canyon house where actress Sharon Tate and others were staying in the mistaken belief that former tenant Terry Melcher still lived there. The record producer had supposedly rebuffed Manson's pop ambitions. Bootleg albums of some of Manson's demo tapes have been available over the years.

Will one of the most notorious figures in U.S. crime annals get royalties from the sale of the album?

Replied a Geffen spokeswoman, "Our legal office says that we don't comment on legal matters like royalties statements."
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Los Angeles Times, December 8, 1993:

Guns N' Roses to Stick With Manson Song on Album : Pop music: Convict's royalties from 'Girl' will be paid to the son of one of those killed in a spree masterminded by the cult leader.

Los Angeles Times
December 08, 1993|CHUCK PHILIPS | SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

Despite widespread criticism, Guns N' Roses has decided not to delete its version of a Charles Manson song on the rock band's new album after learning that the mass murder ringleader will not receive any royalties.

"When we heard Manson might get the money, we were ready to pull the song off the record," Slash, the band's lead guitarist, said Tuesday. "But then we found out that all the money would go to this guy in Poland who lost his dad (in the murders)."

Manson's share of royalties from the song "Look at Your Game, Girl" on Guns N' Roses' recently released "The Spaghetti Incident?" album will be paid to the son of Wojiciech (Voytek) Frykowski under a 1971 court order against Manson. The royalties will amount to $62,000 for every million copies of the album sold.

Frykowski was one of five victims found bound, stabbed and bludgeoned to death on Aug. 9, 1969, following a Benedict Canyon crime spree masterminded by the cult leader. Frykowski was a friend of film director Roman Polanski, whose wife, actress Sharon Tate, and her unborn baby were also slaughtered in the Manson Family bloodbath.

Geffen Records, the West Hollywood label that releases Guns N' Roses albums, was notified last week about the court order and is expected to be served with a writ of execution today by Los Angeles attorney Nathaniel Friedman, who won a $500,000 judgment in 1971 against Manson on behalf of Frykowski's 13-year-old son Bartek.

The inclusion of the Manson composition on the album has been heavily criticized by law enforcement and victim rights groups, as well as by the head of the band's own record company, entertainment mogul David Geffen.

Ed Rosenblatt, president of Geffen Records, said Tuesday the company "would have preferred that the song wasn't on the album, but given our belief in freedom of speech as well as the clear restraints of our legal agreements with the band, it is not our decision to make. That decision belongs solely to Guns N' Roses. We genuinely regret the distress the situation has caused."

About the decision to put the song on the album, Slash said it was "done with naive and innocent black humor on our part, but looking back on it I think it might have been a mistake. We never expected the flack that came up, but now we know it's a serious issue for the families."

Bartek Frykowski, who lives in Warsaw, could not be reached for comment, but Friedman said his client can legally garnish as much as $1.4 million in interest-adjusted earnings from Manson's past and future income.

"It's small compensation to this young man for the brutal loss of his father, even though that occurred a quarter of a century ago," Friedman said.

Guns N' Roses will not collect any of the song's proceeds from "The Spaghetti Incident?"--which has sold more than 300,000 copies in the United States since its release on Nov. 23.

Singer Axl Rose has pledged to donate all his performance royalties from the track to a nonprofit environmental organization. Geffen Records will pass on its proceeds from the song to the Doris Tate Crime Victims Bureau, named for the late mother of Sharon Tate.

"Look at Your Game, Girl" has been a source of friction in the Guns N' Roses camp since Rose, who recorded the track without the other members of the band, first proposed it as a selection for the new album, sources said. The rest of the group reluctantly agreed to include the track only if it remained unidentified in print or in interviews.

As a result, the Manson composition appears uncredited following the last track on the album after a 12-second silence. Manson is mentioned nowhere in the liner notes and acknowledged only at the end of the song when Rose coyly whispers, "Thanks, Chas."

The song appeared as a track on the 1970 album "Lie," a bootlegged Manson collection originally issued by Awareness Records.

That album, comprising 14 demos cut during the '60s by aspiring musician Manson, is still available on compact disc today. Indeed, Rose said he was inspired to record "Look at Your Game, Girl" after hearing a copy of the Manson album purchased by his brother.

"Lie" is owned and distributed by New Brunswick, N.J.-based Performance Records, which contributes Manson's royalty proceeds to the Victims of Violent Crime Fund, an arm of the California attorney general's office.

Vincent Bugliosi, the Manson case prosecutor who wrote the 1974 best-selling "Helter Skelter" book, said he found it "appalling" that Manson's music had penetrated the pop mainstream.

"It's a sad commentary on justice in America that a murderer who was supposed to receive the death penalty ends up having his song appear on a hit rock album," Bugliosi said. "From a moral standpoint, it's truly distasteful."

In his statement last week, Rose said he recorded the song primarily because it related to a "personal situation" he had been going through, not because he had any respect for Manson, whom he called "sick."

Free-lance writer Heidi Siegmund contributed to this article.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:37 pm

Chris Cornell's opinion:

----------

Soundgarden are also one of the few acts on the [Spaghetti Incident] album unscarred by fatality and tragedy. Some had more pain in their history than others like the New York Dolls who over the years lost original drummer, Jerry Nolan. But for pain by association it's pretty hard to beat Charles Manson. Mr Chris Cornell, counsel for Guns n' Roses.

Cornell: "I think he (Manson) wrote some cool songs regardless of who he is or whatever. What he did and what he was involved with - which I would never condone at all, it sucks - still doesn't mean that what he did as an artist should never be heard. I don't think there's any reason to edit out art.

"If it was snuff films that's a different story. If somebody was using other people against their will to make art that's definitely a different story. But what's ethical about burying art because of something the artist did? That's too close to censorship really. If his music was saying about or condoning or encouraging that type of behaviour and he was known to have done, that type of thing I could understand that more. But I guess my point is I'm against any type of censorship or disallowing individuals to make those kind of choices at all. I don't think if you go out and buy a Charles Manson record or if you listen to a Charles Manson song and you like it or even dislike it, I don't think that means that you're an accessory to his life. I think that's a big misconception that people have. People will go meet their favourite rock star and that person will maybe be rude to them or be drunk or be acting in a way that they don't agree with or dislike and they won't like that artist anymore. I don't think that's fair. I don't think art has anything to do with the individual that creates the art as far as you have to agree with the person to like the art that person creates."
[Time Off, January 12, 1994]

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/articles/timeoff_1-12-94.shtml
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:38 am

Blackstar wrote:Chris Cornell's opinion:

----------

Soundgarden are also one of the few acts on the [Spaghetti Incident] album unscarred by fatality and tragedy. Some had more pain in their history than others like the New York Dolls who over the years lost original drummer, Jerry Nolan. But for pain by association it's pretty hard to beat Charles Manson. Mr Chris Cornell, counsel for Guns n' Roses.

Cornell: "I think he (Manson) wrote some cool songs regardless of who he is or whatever. What he did and what he was involved with - which I would never condone at all, it sucks - still doesn't mean that what he did as an artist should never be heard. I don't think there's any reason to edit out art.

"If it was snuff films that's a different story. If somebody was using other people against their will to make art that's definitely a different story. But what's ethical about burying art because of something the artist did? That's too close to censorship really. If his music was saying about or condoning or encouraging that type of behaviour and he was known to have done, that type of thing I could understand that more. But I guess my point is I'm against any type of censorship or disallowing individuals to make those kind of choices at all. I don't think if you go out and buy a Charles Manson record or if you listen to a Charles Manson song and you like it or even dislike it, I don't think that means that you're an accessory to his life. I think that's a big misconception that people have. People will go meet their favourite rock star and that person will maybe be rude to them or be drunk or be acting in a way that they don't agree with or dislike and they won't like that artist anymore. I don't think that's fair. I don't think art has anything to do with the individual that creates the art as far as you have to agree with the person to like the art that person creates."
[Time Off, January 12, 1994]

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/articles/timeoff_1-12-94.shtml

In many ways I am probably a bigger fan of Soundgarden and Cornell than Guns N' Roses. They are just far from as interesting Very Happy There is something about GN'R that just draws me in. The unbridled emotions. The fuck ups. The controversies. The enigmas. The mystery. The promise of new music.

Anyway, I have to say I agree with Cornell here. Art is separate and ideally I try to consider it without the baggage of the artist. It is not always easy, or even meant to be that way, but I try to do it. So in theory I could appreciate a painting by Hitler. And that doesn't mean I anything beyond just like the art in an independent way outside of Hitler himself and what he did and thought.

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Well I do see his point, he's not wrong (Chris Cornell).
Apparently the Beach Boys used a song from Manson and paid him by giving him a motorbike (?) or something along these lines... anyway, can't see or hear people trying to censor or boycott the Beach Boys' output because of that.

Blackstar wrote:Soundgarden are also one of the few acts on the [Spaghetti Incident] album unscarred by fatality and tragedy.

Sadly not true anymore now. Silent Cry
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9431

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Uli wrote:Sadly not true anymore now. Silent Cry

Yes, terrible Sad
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer