APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada

2 posters

Go down

1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada Empty 1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Date:
June 7, 1991.

Venue:
CNE Grandstand.

Setlist:
01. Welcome To The Jungle
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Bad Obsession
04. Live And Let Die
05. 14 Years
06. Double Talkin' Jive
07. It's So Easy
08. Dust N' Bones
09. Civil War
10. Patience
11. Don't Cry
[Godfather Theme]
12. Pretty Tied Up
13. November Rain
14. Sweet Child O' Mine
15. You're Crazy [w/ Sebastian Bach]
16. Nightrain
17. Back Off Bitch
18. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
19. Estranged
20. Used To Love Her
21. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass), Dizzy Reed (keyboards) and Matt Sorum (drums).

1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada Rightarrow Next concert: 1991.06.08.
1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada Leftarrow Previous concert: 1991.06.05.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76572

Back to top Go down

1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada Empty Re: 1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada

Post by Blackstar Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Review from The Hamilton Spectator (via The Ottawa Citizen, June 10, 1991)

1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada QNInMp4c_o
Guns’ madcap maelstrom shows they reign in rock

By Nick Krewen
The Hamilton Spectator

If you didn’t think there was any substance behind claims that Guns ’Ν’ Roses is currently the best rock ’n’ roll band in the world, think again.

Two performances by the California-based bad boys over this past weekend to a combined audience of 46,000 people at Toronto’s CNE Grandstand were convincing enough even to the band’s most arduous skeptics.

On Friday night, Guns ’N’ Roses, led by the rebellious tagteam of W. Axl Rose and lead guitarist Slash, staged an impromptu two-and-a-half-hour marathon that commenced late and continued a bit past 12:30 a.m.

There’s a lot riding on this tour, as far as The Gunners are concerned. For one thing, it’s been four years since their only studio album, Appetite For Destruction, was released — and three years since G’N’R Lies, a combination live and demo EP, was successfully mass-marketed.

That meant that the majority of material was a preview of their upcoming Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II albums, not due for release until August.

As if that weren’t enough of a challenge, the band also decided to take the Grateful Dead approach to concert performance: work without a set list, and make it up as you go along.

Typhoon effect

Could they pull it off? The answer was evident shortly after Slash played the introductory riff to Welcome To The Jungle, as Rose — dressed in a t-shirt and tie-dye jeans — ran screaming from from the side, riding the microphone stand like a hobby horse.

The effect was comparable to that of a small typhoon — a maelstrom of madcap mayhem that took the 21,000 in attendance by surprise and whipped them into a frenzy in no time flat.

What was remarkable was how disciplined Guns ’Ν’ Roses have become as musicians.

Superbly and powerfully anchored by new drummer Matt Sorum, and texturized by keyboardist/percussionist Dizzy Reed,

G’N’R’s original quartet of Rose, Slash, rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin and bassist Duff McKagan seemed electrified at best, inspired at worst.

It’s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone and You’re Crazy (which featured opening act Skid Row’s Sebastian Bach sharing lead vocal duties in front of his hometown audience) were barnburners, sculpted by Slash’s lengthy and plentiful soloing.

Slash himself has become somewhat a master of his craft, demonstrating some excellent technique with the bluesy slide-driven Bad Obsession, and the Spanish malaguena-flavored Double Talkin' Jive Mother.

Axl Rose has expanded his range as a singer. There were the screamers, like Sweet Child O’ Mine and Paradise City, but Rose also deepened his voice for Civil War, Dust And Bones.

As a performer, he made good use of the crab-shaped stage with a lot of running, playing to each side of the platform, and patented snake-like swivelling of the hips from side to side.

In all, Guns ’N’ Roses’ uncontrived impulsiveness and willingness to take risks made the concert a joyful reminder of what rock ’n’ roll is really about.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada Empty Re: 1991.06.07 - CNE Grandstand, Toronto, Canada

Post by Blackstar Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:28 pm

I thought I had posted this in the concert thread, too, but it was only the Notes thread:

I wanna talk to you for a minute because I wanna get your opinion on something. And I’m real serious. You know, being a band in our position, you wander about cuz you’re interested in making some more money. And the offers get made and you go, well, you know, I drink the beer. So there’s all this talk of sponsorship. And I was pretty much undecided either way, since I drink Budweiser and I smoke Marlboro, then I couldn’t care less if they want to slap the sticker on you. Until today. I don’t have anything against the companies that sponsor and manage us here, except I’ve got a tattoo on this shoulder. It’s a tattoo of a Thin Lizzy album cover, you know? And since both my father and my stepfather were assholes, Phil Lynott kinda like took the place of dad for me when I was a kid. And I’m watching TV today and I see this Molson commercial with The Boys Are Back In Town on it. I mean, I heard the bassline and shit and I was like, what the fuck is this? And I’ve never been more pissed off and hurt in my life, you know, at least not in a long fucking time that I can think of. Because, I mean, whoever sold that to them, I hope they’re a big motherfucker, cuz if I find them anywhere, I’ll crack their skull. I mean, Phil’s gone. What do you think about our sponsorship? If you’re into it and hey yes, you know, yell “yes”, really loud. If you think it’s, like, selling out, let me hear you yelling “no”. [The crowd is rather yelling “yes”] Let’s put it down right in a ballot box (laughs).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 86383

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down