APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1991.08.24 - Maimarktgelände, Mannheim, Germany

Go down

1991.08.24 - Maimarktgelände, Mannheim, Germany Empty 1991.08.24 - Maimarktgelände, Mannheim, Germany

Post by Soulmonster Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:40 pm

August 24, 1991 - Maimarktgelände, Mannheim, Germany
Setlist:
01. Welcome to the Jungle
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Bad Obsession
04. Dust N' Bones
05. Live and Let Die
(Concert stopped)
06. Civil War
07. Double Talkin' Jive
08. It's So Easy
09. Patience ('I Was Only Joking' intro)
10. November Rain
11. You Could Be Mine
Matt's drum solo
Slash's guitar solo (Godfather theme)
12. Sweet Child O'Mine ('Bad Time' intro)
13. Nightrain
14. Yesterdays
15. 14 Years
16. My Michelle
17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door ('Only Women Bleed' intro)
Encore:
18. Estranged
19. Paradise City

Date:

Venue:
Maimarktgelände.

Line-up:
Axl Rose - Vocals
Izzy Stradlin - Rhythm guitar
Slash - Lead guitar
Duff McKagan - Bass
Dizzy Reed - Keyboards
Matt Sorum - Drums.

Poster:
1991.08.24 - Maimarktgelände, Mannheim, Germany 19910824poster_zps0d4c8571
Notes
Axl said "thanks a lot!" and left the show after being hit by something at the end of 'Live and Let Die' (@25:10 in the video below). The resulting pause in the show was excused as "technical difficulties" and "changing of guitars". Axl returned later and continued the show.

Quotes:
[...]When we went to Europe with Skid Row, everything went along very well, business as usual, until we got to Mannheim [...]. We went on late - late even for us - then, pretty early in the set, something happened and Axl walked off for what reason I have no idea. He wasn't getting heckled as far as I could see, no one hit him with a bottle or anything, but he wasn't having it. Th stage at that venue was literally about a mile away from the production office and dressing room, so a van was there to shuttle us back and forth. When Axl left the stage, he went to the van and headed off to the dressing room.
The rest of us came offstage and were standing around, waiting to find out if Axl was coming back or if his van had taken off to the hotel. [...]
I remember standing there with Duff while Matt was fuming. [...] "Fuck that guy," he said. "I'm gonna go straighten him out."[...]
By this point we'd discovered that Axl's van had not left for the dressing room; he was sitting in it but refused to come out and return to the stage [...] So Matt went down to Axl's van to rally him, but as he got down there, he ran into Axl, who had emerged to head back to the stage. matt was so fired up, though, that he got in Axl's face regardless, to the degree that it almost got physical.
"What the fuck are you doing?" Matt yelled. "Get back onstage!"
I ran up and got between them, because it wasn't a good situation. Axl can get completely psycho when he decides to fight and Matt weighs twice as much as I do - and he plays the drums - so it wasn't exactly a good place for me to be. Axl went back to his van, and it didn't look like he was coming out again.The clock was ticking.
The promoters saw the drama that was going on and closed the gates around the venue so that we couldn't leave. They'd heard what had happened in St. Louis, and it's a good thing they did; if they hadn't, I'm positive that the thirty-eight thousand fans there would have rioted, we would have been held liable and arrested, and people might have died. The local police were already there in riot gear, ready to deal with a full-on situation. It was a scary, tense scene, and a very near miss.
We got Axl back onstage once he realized he had no choice, and the rest of the show went as planned. All I could remember thinking as I walked offstage after the encore was Fuck that was close
[Slash's autobiography, p 343-344]
When Axl left the stage in Mannheim, Germany, another riot looked inevitable. We had gone on late again. The venue was huge, an outdoor stadium packed with twice as many people as even the biggest of the basketball arenas we had played in the United States up to this point. Matt Sorum tried a novel approach when Axl left; maybe to a "new" guy it was the obvious thing to do. He went to find Axl and confront him. He was turned away by Axl's security detail. The promoters - not the band members, not the managers, not the entourage - saved the day. Their threat was that Axl would be arrested if a riot occurred might not have worked on its own. But they also locked us into the venue [Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 194]
I remember playing in a stadium in Mannheim, Germany, playing all new material - which I thought was the coolest way of getting your material accepted, playing a bunch of songs people had never heard and winning them over with that [Kerrang! March 12, 1994].

Full show video

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:59 am; edited 11 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76771

Back to top Go down

1991.08.24 - Maimarktgelände, Mannheim, Germany Empty Re: 1991.08.24 - Maimarktgelände, Mannheim, Germany

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Video of the show added Very Happy
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76771

Back to top Go down