APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2011.12.01 - The Cincinatti Enquirer - Stepping In For Guns N' Roses (Tommy)

Go down

2011.12.01 - The Cincinatti Enquirer - Stepping In For Guns N' Roses (Tommy) Empty 2011.12.01 - The Cincinatti Enquirer - Stepping In For Guns N' Roses (Tommy)

Post by Soulmonster Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Though he’s probably associated more often with his previous band, 1980s rock ’n’ roll heroes the Replacements, Stinson has been a member of Guns N’ Roses longer. He became GNR’s bass player in 1998, when singer Axl Rose re-launched the group with a new lineup.

“The title of my (expletive) book would be, ‘I Was a Replacement Longer than I Was a Replacement,’ ” joked Stinson.

Rose isn’t doing much press for this tour, and Stinson was gracious enough to give us a few minutes on a recent day off.

Question: I wanted to ask you about those sessions you did with Moth, because they were a Cincinnati band.

Answer: Oh, God. Man, that was a long time ago. Are those guys still a band?

Q: I don’t think so. What do you recall about those sessions?

A: Well, they were a lot of fun. It was me and Josh (studio drummer Josh Freese), and those guys, the guitar player (Bob Gayol) and the singer kid (Brad Stenz). It was a blast. I (expletive) love that record (2002’s “Provisions, Fiction and Gear”). And they made one right after too, which I thought was pretty good as well (“Drop Deaf”). They were a good band.

Q: Were you ever asked to join Moth?

A: No, I wasn’t, and I wouldn’t have been able to at that time. I was under contract with Guns. I would have done some dates with them if it worked out. I really liked those guys. They were real talented and (expletive), but it wasn’t in the cards.

Q: In 1987 the Replacements’ “Don’t Tell a Soul” came out, and so did Guns N’ Roses’ “Appetite for Destruction.” Those are two very different records. What were your thoughts on Guns N Roses at the time?

A: You know, I wasn’t really into them. Guns weren’t my thing. That’s kind of the laughing point for Axl and I. He wasn’t really a ‘Mats fan and I wasn’t a Guns fan. I got into this band with him ’cause I thought the idea that he had of… the whole (expletive) band kind of left him sitting there, and he’s like, “Well (expletive) that, man. I want to work. I’m not gonna sit here and call it a day,” was kind of ballsy, so I was in.

Q: The shows have been running three hours. Have you adopted any sort of physical regimen to get through these marathons?

A: Aleve, whiskey and a big (expletive) dinner.

Q: What sort of whiskey, Tommy?

A: Maker’s Mark.

Q: Shows have been starting late and ending late, as late as 2 a.m. in some instances. Could that be viewed as a sign of contempt for the audience, to play that late and have a two-hour break between the opening set and your set?

A: I mean, (expletive), (Rose) was more notoriously bad with that before. I think to his credit he’s gotten better at that whole issue. Ultimately, when he’s ready to play, that’s when we’re gonna play. I wouldn’t want to play with him one minute before he’s ready. He ain’t (expletive) ever gonna change because of you or me or (expletive) anyone.

Q: What are the chances of a Replacements reunion?

A: They’re about the same as a Guns reunion. They’re about nil at this point.
Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20111202/ENT03/312020195/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down