APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA

2 posters

Go down

1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA Empty 1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Date:
October 18, 1987.

Venue:
Hammerjacks.

Setlist:
[Setlist unknown]

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Quotes from band members:

Izzy—he’s not usually the one to cause any trouble at all, but he got totally annihilated at this place called Hammerjacks—the most fucked place I’ve ever played. First, they got about thirty [uniformed] security guys that look like West Hollywood sheriffs. And Izzy got in arguments with them early in the day about some bullshit they were giving our crew, who were just trying to do their jobs. So Izzy got drunk, and was really hating this club. Then, right before we played, and there are more hassles, and Izzy’s fucking sick of everything, he walked into the club manager’s office and just whipped it out and pissed all over the guy’s desk—with the guy sitting there! It just blew their minds. Then we go on, and Izzy is so drunk we had to turn his guitar down, and when he realized what was going on, he unstrapped the guitar and threw it into the crowd [Original source unknown, but found in Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N’ Roses by Stephen Davis, Penguin Group, 2008].

1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.10.20.
1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1987.10.17.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA Empty Re: 1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:56 pm

The venue was Hammerjacks.

From the Baltimore Sun, October 16, 1987:

1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA 1987_110
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 85695

Back to top Go down

1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA Empty Re: 1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:00 pm

There is this quote from Axl, which we haven't located its original source yet, found in the book Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N’ Roses by Stephen Davis, Penguin Group, 2008:

Axl: “Izzy—he’s not usually the one to cause any trouble at all, but he got totally annihilated at this place called Hammerjacks—the most fucked place I’ve ever played. First, they got about thirty [uniformed] security guys that look like West Hollywood sheriffs. And Izzy got in arguments with them early in the day about some bullshit they were giving our crew, who were just trying to do their jobs. So Izzy got drunk, and was really hating this club. Then, right before we played, and there are more hassles, and Izzy’s fucking sick of everything, he walked into the club manager’s office and just whipped it out and pissed all over the guy’s desk—with the guy sitting there! It just blew their minds. Then we go on, and Izzy is so drunk we had to turn his guitar down, and when he realized what was going on, he unstrapped the guitar and threw it into the crowd.”

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:04 pm

And Slash talked about this show in an interview he did in 1995 with the Baltimore Sun, alluding to the same incident with Izzy described by Axl above:
High old times in Baltimore

Slash may be a lifelong Los Angeleno, but he has a fondness for our town. "I love Baltimore,” he declares. “I’m probably one of the few people that actually say that, because Baltimore is not one of those places that the average kid is familiar with if you're not from there. But I've been enough times. It's a cool town.”

Among the things he likes about Baltimore is Hammerjacks, where Guns N' Roses played back before becoming famous. “I remember playing there," he says. “Hammer-jacks is the gig — I don’t know if you should print this or not — but it was the gig where ..."

Well, let's just say that guitarist Izzy Stradlin embarrassed himself in the manager's office before the band went on.
“Me and Izzy got really messed up," Slash says. “When you're touring around in a bus, you get there in the morning, you have a day room at the hotel, you go to the gig way too early... and you get bored.”

So Izzy and Slash got drunk. “I play well when I’m messed up," Slash says. “Izzy, on the other hand ...” He laughs. “So during the gig. he just sat on his amp. But he had a Marshall stack behind him, so he sat on the tiny lip of the bottom cabinet, and we just sorta covered for him.” But, wouldn't sitting on the amp like that make his guitar feed back?

“Oh, I think he was pretty much turned off at that point,” answers Slash, laughing even harder.

— J.D. Considine
(The Baltimore Sun, April 9, 1995)

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:26 pm

Great finds! So funny!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:48 pm

Article about the close-down of the Hammerjacks in 1997 (it was sold to become a parking lot) with mention of the Izzy incident; The Baltimore Sun, April 20, 1997:

1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA 1997_024
1987.10.18 - Hammerjacks, Baltimore, MD, USA 1997_025
[...]
Rock and roll

Two years after the club opened, Principio expanded into the warehouse next door and opened the Inner Harbor Concert Hall, and Hammerjacks began booking live music for the first time. That was when the club truly got into the rock and roll business, and the Hammerjacks lifestyle appealed as much to rock bands as it did to rock fans.

“I just enjoy it,” said Brett Michaels of Poison in 1989. “It’s one of those clubs where every time I go there, I just have a really good time. But if I was married or engaged, I’d never go there.... It’s the wrong place to be if you’re married or engaged.”

It was also the wrong place to be if you’d had too much too drink, as Izzy Stradlin of Guns N’ Roses learned one night in 1988. GNR was only just becoming known among hard-rock fans — this was just before their first hit single, “Sweet Child o’ Mine” — when the group got its first headlining show at Hammerjacks.

As was often the case in those days, the band killed time before the show by getting drunk. “Me and Izzy got really [messed] up,” recalled GNR guitarist Slash a couple years ago. “I play well when I’m [messed] up. Izzy, on the other hand...” Being drunk was only the beginning, though. “We were in the office, because the manager wasn’t in there,” says Slash. “And Izzy peed on the floor.”

Needless to say, this did not go over well with the Hammerjacks management. “Actually, I think the security guys threw him out or something,” says Becker. “Of course, nobody knew what the band was going to become at that point, or they’d probably have invited him to urinate on stage!”

[...]
The Slash quote seems to be from the same interview with The Baltimore Sun on April 9, 1995, but it contains more details about the incident (that were probably omitted from the original 1995 interview).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down