APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA

3 posters

Go down

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA Empty 1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 pm

Date:
March 16, 1987.

Venue:
Whisky A Go Go.

Setlist:
01. Out Ta Get Me
02. Think About You
03. Anything Goes
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. It's So Easy
06. Rocket Queen
07. Mr. Brownstone
08. Sweet Child O' Mine
09. Nightrain
10. My Michelle
11. You're Crazy
12. Paradise City
13. Move to the City
14. Mama Kin

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Notes:
First show after recording Appetite for Destruction.

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.03.29.
1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1986.12.23.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76732

Back to top Go down

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon May 05, 2014 11:40 am

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA KGrHqRmIFBEPhGzprBRfwRwkj60_57
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA Empty Re: 1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Review from Endless Party Magazine, April 1987:

Varla DeVil wrote:GUNS N' ROSES & THE WHISKY

In case you've never seen or heard Guns & Roses before, let me tell you, these guys are great with a capital GRRRRRRRR! I haven't seen them play live for quite awhile even though I went to most of their shows since they first started playing around town, the reason being that they haven't been playing that much lately. But now they're back to show this town who's boss and I can't think of any other local band worthy enough to fill the top position. When it does come to sex, drugs and rock n' roll...Guns N' Roses ooze it, use it, kick it around and abuse it...So what if they're considered trouble makers...Like the song says, "Nice Boys Don't Play Rock N' Roll"!

Guns & Roses opened this Alibi Artist Show with a song aptly titled "They're Out To Get Me", shooting into "Think About You". But it was the next three tunes that sent my juices flowing (pardon the expression), "Anything Goes", straight into the amazing "Welcome to the Jungle", then letting Axl display some different vocal style on "It's So Easy". Axl Rose, the bands hot throbbing hunk of a lead singer, tears open his soul and belts out songs like no one else can...and I mean NO ONE! And the band ain't too fuckin' bad either! Guitarist Izzy has a nonchalant sloppy style that balances out the heavy metal guitar solos by lead guitarist Slash, kind of like comparing a '69 Mustang to a '87 Porsche, bit radical driving machines but on different ends of the race track. The backbone of rhythm is handled by the blond bombs...Duff on bass and Steve beating the life out of (or into) his drums.

Although the band complained about the sound I've never known the Whisky to have decent sound. But for energy and emotion X marks the spor here tonight. And judging from the sold out crowd you don't need a map to know where the action is. Some other outstanding songs of the night were "Move To The City", which was dedicated to a local rock station KNAC who has been doing their best to let the hammer slam down on this speeding bullet known as Guns & Roses. Then there's a cover of Aerosmith's "Mama Kin", yeah I know, every one and their (fucking) mother covers and Aerosmith song, but not the way Guns & Roses can breathe life into an already immortal tune.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is: Hey Ratt, Crye, Poison and all you other so called rock n' roll bands...It's time to retire cause Guns & Roses fit all the requirements for the job...and then some.

Thanks to troccoli for sharing the pictures of this review with us, and for the awesome job he has done with collecting GN'R memorabilia. The original photos can be found here: http://www.troccolitm.com/EndlessApr.html including pictures, also of a young Gilby Clarke playing in the band Candy.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:30 am

Ad in L.A. Weekly, March 13, 1987:

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA 1987_022
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87861

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:19 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87861

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:08 am

Paul Elliott, writing for Sounds Magazine attended the show and would later write about it for Classic Rock Magazine:

Jet Boy were the support act that night. They had a charismatic singer in Mickey Finn, who sported an outrageous electric-blue Mohican. Plus, they had Sam Yaffa, ex-Hanoi Rocks, on bass. But Yaffa looked lost up on that stage, almost dazed, as if the demise of Hanoi, prompted by the death of their drummer Razzle, had sucked all the life out of him.

Guns N’ Roses had idolised Hanoi – and this much was immediately apparent when they kicked into their first song, Reckless Life, a blast of fast and loose rock ‘n’ roll with a punk/glam edge that was pure Hanoi... except for one crucial difference. Where Hanoi’s Michael Monroe sang with a sardonic punk sneer, Axl Rose was a full-on screamer, more heavy metal. And there was something about Axl, an intensity, that Monroe never had. Both had a certain girlish prettiness, but Axl had a menacing aura; the kind of guy who’d punch your lights out as soon as look at you. Stripped to the waist, his slender arms covered in tattoos, his skin almost translucent under the stage lights, hair whipped into an artful mess, Axl was magnetic, drawing all eyes to him.

Slash was the perfect foil for Axl. His face was hidden under a mop of dark curls, cigarette screwed into his mouth, effortlessly cool, swaying backwards as he fired off solos. Izzy was GN’R’s Keith Richards, sullen and nonchalant. Duff McKagan had the air of a displaced punk rocker, tall and thin, the way bass players should be. Steven Adler looked the archetypical Californian beach bum: big blond hair, fuzzy chest. He could have passed for David Lee Roth’s kid brother. And he was the only one who smiled.

Guns N’ Roses meant business. That much was evident on the night. The rocked hard, they looked cool, and the songs they played from the new album – Welcome To The Jungle, It’s So Easy, Nightrain – pissed all over anything that Motley Crue or Poison had ever come up with.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:43 pm

I bought the Endless Party Magazine with the review (text is posted above) and here's an image of the review. The pages were in A3 format so I couldn't get it scanned easily so I ended up just taking a picture of the page:

1987.03.16 - Whisky A Go Go, Los Angeles, USA 20220312
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:55 am

wow so cool!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5498

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:00 am

fuck i have never seen that video, the quality is soooo good, it's yet another Marc Canter's treasure that no one has ever seen yet
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:45 am

This was the first show Arlett Vereecke attended, and she would also comment on the poor sound:

When I first saw them, I think it was at the Whisky and it was the worst. They just had the new sound system, it was the worse that they ever had and Niven insisted that I went to the show. So I said "Yes, I'm going to go check them out." And they were bad, really bad. But they had something. It was worth sticking it out. And I remember Neil Zlozower, who was a rock and roll photographer said to me, "You've got to work with these guys?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Did you tell Dave [Roth], [?]  I'm calling Dave right now. Did you tell Dave Roth?" I said, "I will tell Dave myself, it's not Dave's decision, it's my decision. And yes, I'm going to work with them." He said, "I can't believe you'd ever consider that, they are losers!" Yeah, you know, he changed his mind really quick after that, but still, at the time he was not a fan. Let's put it this way. So even a bad show, even when they opened for people and did a really bad show that they played different songs that were all fucked up, they were so good, you know.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:07 pm

Soulmonster wrote:This was the first show Arlett Vereecke attended, and she would also comment on the poor sound:

When I first saw them, I think it was at the Whisky and it was the worst. They just had the new sound system, it was the worse that they ever had and Niven insisted that I went to the show. So I said "Yes, I'm going to go check them out." And they were bad, really bad. But they had something. It was worth sticking it out. And I remember Neil Slosar [?], who was a rock and roll photographer said to me, "You've got to work with these guys?" I said, "Yes." He said, "Did you tell Dave [Roth], [?]  I'm calling Dave right now. Did you tell Dave Roth?" I said, "I will tell Dave myself, it's not Dave's decision, it's my decision. And yes, I'm going to work with them." He said, "I can't believe you'd ever consider that, they are losers!" Yeah, you know, he changed his mind really quick after that, but still, at the time he was not a fan. Let's put it this way. So even a bad show, even when they opened for people and did a really bad show that they played different songs that were all fucked up, they were so good, you know.

the photographer's name is Neil Zlozower - https://www.zloz.com/

there is a doc about him = https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_your_face_the_neil_zlozower_story

and he does youtube interviews holding the foot of susan with a semi-drunk voice = https://youtu.be/DLB3GxWEj08?si=3u5mTYRPNuDqHY3I

Very Happy

ludurigan
ludurigan

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:55 am

Thanks, @ludurigan!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down